Why must you be such a Chuk.
because then i wouldnt be me.
iu

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I know Kamala Khan pre-dates anybody knowing who Kamala Harris is, but I expect a lot of people will think Marvel named her after Harris.

Hell I bet a lot of people think Harris is a Muslim. Nobody even seems to know she's half Indian.

Maybe this'll help prop her up over that big goal of breaking 30% approval before she runs in 2024

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I know Kamala Khan pre-dates anybody knowing who Kamala Harris is, but I expect a lot of people will think Marvel named her after Harris.

Hell I bet a lot of people think Harris is a Muslim. Nobody even seems to know she's half Indian.

Maybe this'll help prop her up over that big goal of breaking 30% approval before she runs in 2024

I'm looking forward to 2024 just for the media hype machine to go into absolute fucking hyperdrive on the racist/misogynist narrative. It's going to push even more people to the red side of the aisle. Obviously I don't expect Biden to last the full term, I've said since the beginning he won't be president past late winter or spring 2023.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You can clearly see who knows comics here and who doesnt based upon the reactions lol

Lets test the theory. What do my reactions say about my knowledge of the comic?

But probably won't.

I fucking hate comic books. I've probably read 3 or 4 in my entire life and regretted the time wasted on all of them.

• 1WTF
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

I think the trailer kinda references this with her correcting the Mean Girl at the beginning pronouncing her name the way Harris does (the indian way) as opposed to how Khan does (the muslim way)

• 1Like

Caliane

I think the trailer kinda references this with her correcting the Mean Girl at the beginning pronouncing her name the way Harris does (the indian way) as opposed to how Khan does (the muslim way)
the mean girl says, kahm -ah-la. khan says its "Kah-mala". same as Harris. not the other way around. that line is clearly a Harris reference. because somehow not being psychic and knowing how to someone prefers their name pronounced is racist.
now, I don't know if the correct pronunciation of Kamala in the comic ever came up, particularly prior to Harris.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
the mean girl says, kahm -ah-la. khan says its "Kah-mala". same as Harris. not the other way around. that line is clearly a Harris reference. because somehow not being psychic and knowing how to someone prefers their name pronounced is racist.
now, I don't know if the correct pronunciation of Kamala in the comic ever came up, particularly prior to Harris.
I've known how to pronounce the name since Harris debuted in WWF.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Oh so that's where the Disney Channel budget went.

I don't want to watch a show about New Jersey school life.
I don't even think the people in New Jersey want to watch a show about New Jersey, let alone one with a kid with superpowers.

Who the fuck is the target audience here?
Fuck it, I'll watch it expecting something like 'Meet the Spartans', which is a cinematic masterpiece now but wasn't when it released.

Cybsled

Target audience is going to be kids/tweens

Aka the traditional Disney channel /Nickelodeon audience

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh so that's where the Disney Channel budget went.

I don't want to watch a show about New Jersey school life.
I don't even think the people in New Jersey want to watch a show about New Jersey, let alone one with a kid with superpowers.

Who the fuck is the target audience here?
Fuck it, I'll watch it expecting something like 'Meet the Spartans', which is a cinematic masterpiece now but wasn't when it released.
this takes place in Jersey City?
140247-6984dafb-7a7b-46c2-9cb5-a6b4a06bf56d.JPG

Caliane

Drinker is off on this a few times.

First, lets go with the "hero that is only out for fame is a terrible hero". this is wrong. one of the best super heroes of all time expressly has this as his initial motivation and a primary character trait.
Ni9YdHM3RHkucG5n

now, obviously it works because its almost entirely subverted. Boosters real sacrifices, victorys, and triumphs... are unseen to everyone, as he protects the timeline.

In general, I think this will do better then the haters think as well. This is fangirl gets superpowers fanservice/wish fulfillment the character. Its a young target demographic. compare it to Stargirl and other CW stuff, not the older marvel stuff.

Caliane

this takes place in Jersey City?
140247-6984dafb-7a7b-46c2-9cb5-a6b4a06bf56d.JPG
my favorite part of this is I see at least 3 people that threw BOTH hands up, as if they couldn't decide which hand for the L and said, "fuck it. going to be right, one way or the other."

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my favorite part of this is I see at least 3 people that through BOTH hands up, as if they couldn't decide which hand for the L and said, "fuck it. going to be right, one way or the other."
now you made me look closer, looks like homegirl front row 4th from right isnt so sure what letter begins the name of her school. "its L, right guys? L???

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i guess if you're really young this might work for you. it has a kind of campy charm if all you see it as is show about a downs kid randomly getting super powers to fight crime like her hero Cap Marvel who is unable to keep her temper.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking forward to 2024 just for the media hype machine to go into absolute fucking hyperdrive on the racist/misogynist narrative. It's going to push even more people to the red side of the aisle. Obviously I don't expect Biden to last the full term, I've said since the beginning he won't be president past late winter or spring 2023.

Yeh, the 2024 election is gonna be the least "actual issue" oriented election in my lifetime so far. The majority of the actual issues and the state of the US make the choice obvious at this point if the R candidate is halfway competent. So instead of issues, they will need to heavily focus on weird Idpol shit and accuse critics of misogyny endlessly. Basically "Weekend at Bernies" Kamala by propping her up as if she has actually done anything as VP. Whole thing is going to be hilarious, and probably won't actually work. Like you said, if they go that route they'll push even more people right than they already have.

A big reboot is gonna happen sooner or later with the parties resetting to a more normal position, I think. Cultural moves to the center inevitably follow moves away from it, and we're as moved away from the center as ever right now.

In the meantime, Disney's gonna Disney. This show isn't for me but it might be a good time for teenage girls.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
THere have been different iterations of "Ms Marvel" throughout the marvel universe. I think this one is after the Kamala Khan thing....

1653173041511.png

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'll watch, cuz MCU, but I have no expectations other than meh.

• 4Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users