Ms. Marvel

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Maul

Dental Dammer
I didn't hate it. I like how they did things like the 'texting' via background graphics / changing neon etc. That and the ways they handled her overactive imagination work pretty well. Obviously they are eskewing the Terrigen Mists business, but the mom clearly seems to know something is up with that bracer. I used a phone-a-friend who is an actual Pakistani immigrant from Jersey to evaluate the authenticity and he gave it high praise, so that's a cool thing.
For authenticity does she marry her cousin and have mentally retarded children, or does that happen later in the series?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Looks like its getting review bombed by an awkward coalition of 'anti-Woke' types and Indians who are incensed that it portrays a Pakistani family. There's also a wave of neckbeards who seem to think that they diversity-washed a character rather than creating a whole new character, which is just bizarre given that is exactly what Kamala Khan is.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It was decent for what it was. Went in with low expectations, but it was decently close to the source material and different enough from the standard Marvel formula to be interesting. Its definitely aimed at a younger audience and it had a strong Scott Pilgrim vibe I liked. It also didn't push agenda, really, which was nice. We will see if that lasts.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Outside of her fangirling of Captain Marvel, does it have any tie-ins to the greater MCU? Or is it isolated in a bubble like Moon Knight?

I.E. do I need to watch this as it leads into something later like Loki/Wandavision/What If?, or just ignore it like Falcon & Winter Soldier.

Juvarisx

Florida
Outside of her fangirling of Captain Marvel, does it have any tie-ins to the greater MCU? Or is it isolated in a bubble like Moon Knight?

I.E. do I need to watch this as it leads into something later like Loki/Wandavision/What If?, or just ignore it like Falcon & Winter Soldier.

This will lead into The Marvels, but if you dont have interest in that maybe not. Like all these characters will eventually matter to the overall storyline of "defeat Kang the Conqueror", but they will show up in more movies long before that is done

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you could probably just watch the trailer for this show and get the idea that Miss Marple is a thing and then when she is in that insufferable bitch's sequel, you can say. oh its that girl. got it.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
you could probably just watch the trailer for this show and get the idea that Miss Marple is a thing and then when she is in that insufferable bitch's sequel, you can say. oh its that girl. got it.
Based on episode 1 I'd rather watch this show than another Captain Marvel movie

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You know what, the more I hear about the actress the more I like her. I like that she's a huge MCU fan and was trying to put more stuff in the show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My daughter (10 years old) and I just watched this. She really seemed to like it, and I enjoyed it as well. I'm glad they didn't woke it all up. It was a good first episode. Solid story, and my daughter really related to the parents telling her no. It makes sense. But it's a good story. I look forward to where this show goes. Now we'll have a Sunday tradition for a few weeks.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
If you wanted a reminder that this show is aimed at teenagers there you go!

• 1Worf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Symmetra showing up in Ms. Marvel is something I should have seen coming and yet didn't. Looks like even if they aren't going full Inhuman they are at least doing something adjacent.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed the second episode, I think the show so far has been great. To be honest if you want to do diversity, this is about as good as you can go about doing it. She’s Pakistani so it’s part of her life, but I don’t feel at any time so far that they want to beat you over the head with it. It’s just who she is, and everything about the culture is done very organicall.

Obviously it’s aimed at teens so some aspect of that I find annoying as an adult, but it’s just fun so far. I think the girl is just the perfect casting, she’s as much a fangirl in real life as she is as Kamala and that‘s kinda make her very endearing and somewhat relatable, I was a teen once who collected comics, and thought about super-heroes all the time and they weren’t real in my world as they in hers.

Hopefully the show continues on this path as it’s really enjoyabe.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I agree Kamala is endearing. Her whole family is, both her parents are great and the brother is too. All of the scenes with her family are the most enjoyable to me. The superhero and teen/school drama stuff is dull as fuck but the family keeps it interesting. That scene with her friend trying to convince Kamala's dad to vote for her was hilarious, and the mum steals the show every time she is on screen.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to watching this and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Teen shit is spot on with how they act now. Kamala is kinda chunky so I wonder if they plan on using the same actress down the road. She's going to be a big girl in a few years.