MTG: Arena

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So... before I download this. What is realistic to play this in terms of pay to win. Do I need to spend hundreds of dollars just to compete?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So... before I download this. What is realistic to play this in terms of pay to win. Do I need to spend hundreds of dollars just to compete?
At least buy the starter package they offer. Other then that, it's time if you want to f2p. You'll get a bunch of cards from the starter decks you get. Just save your wildcards and use them only when you are sure you want something. Also only get the cards from the newest sets. Which is the Ravnica block and m20. The other sets move to "Historic" mode in Oct. I think. If you don't mind spending some cash, then you can probably blow some money on packs. Just make sure you buy them from sets you are card hunting from and then use your wildcards to round out your collection with must haves. All spending tons of money will do is allow you to have more decks to play. You can probably get one good deck with just the starter stuff and wildcards you get.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

No, I spent $70 total the past year.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Yes and No you can build a cheap deck and compete to certain extent. But magic the gathering literately invented pay to win format. So game is set up for those that will spend money I would guess that you're looking at 200 dollar investment if you want to compete without feeling you're always lagging behind you're opponents in card quality.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok that's fair. I can deal with some start up investment if I like the game. Then 100 or even 200 I am ok with over time assuming i'm really enjoying playing the game.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
depends on what you want. if you're a good drafter for example you can go infinite reasonably easily for example, which also accumulates cards/packs/wildcards for constructed

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

to reiterate what others have said, the viability of going fully F2P is just the amount of time you have. if you get a high enough rank, you can get invited to IRL paper tournaments, and some people have managed to do that without spending a penny. if you have less time and are willing to spend $50 per expansion (four per year) like others have said they do, then you're pretty much assured to be able to construct multiple high end decks (assuming you've spent your gems and wild cards wisely). i spent $100 on Ravnica Allegiance when it came out, and just recently hit the point where i have 4 copies of every rare card in the set, so yeah. if you want to max out your collection immediately you'll have to spend some heavy bucks, but for roughly the same price as your old $15/mo EQ subscription you can still end up experiencing a lot of what the game has to offer.

the early game is extremely friendly to people who are just starting and playing for free, so yeah your plan of playing for free a bit and seeing if you want to drop money should work out pretty well.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
went 5-4 with that Azorius Golem draft deck. now i'm 2-0 in a Simic deck. managed to draft Shifting Ceratops, Nightpack Ambusher, and Gargos, Vicious Watcher, as well as a pretty great set of supporting cards. first two games ended in early concedes. knock on wood, i hope i actually get to play some fun games with this deck, win or lose... it's a bummer when games end in concedes early on, y'know?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spending money is more about having variety to play with. You can build a pretty competitive deck with little spent but it might just get kind of boring to play after the hundredth time.

I have had horrid luck with drafting this set. My rares have been awful and I never can get any kind of synchronicity with my choices. I always lack bombs or control because my choices have been weak. I really wish they would institute a true draft format so the luck factor would get greatly reduced.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
Draft seems to run hot and cold for me as well. I will get a few where I dominate, then go weeks without a good run.

I miss the more 'even' feel of a proper draft.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just drafted a pretty impressive mono green deck. I have these 5 rares.

Nightpack Ambusher
Leyline(Did not include in deck. The effect is 8 mana and I have one whole mana producing creature.)
Gargos
Voracious Hydra
And my favorite, given that it is mono green Wakeroot Elemental.

I also got some ramp with 2 gifts and 1 leafkin druid. I am thinking 15 lands? I have 2 Mammoth spiders and one Wolfkin bond so my high end is up a bit.

Deck went 6-3 so it was a very god mono-green deck. I then followed up with a crappy deck again,

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I just drafted a pretty impressive mono green deck. I have these 5 rares.

Nightpack Ambusher
Leyline(Did not include in deck. The effect is 8 mana and I have one whole mana producing creature.)
Gargos
Voracious Hydra
And my favorite, given that it is mono green Wakeroot Elemental.

I also got some ramp with 2 gifts and 1 leafkin druid. I am thinking 15 lands? I have 2 Mammoth spiders and one Wolfkin bond so my high end is up a bit.

Deck went 6-3 so it was a very god mono-green deck. I then followed up with a crappy deck again,

i posted about my deck stacked with green rares a few posts up, included Nightpack Ambusher and Gargos. i ended up going 6-3 with it too lol.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I got a lucky 6-1 playing rat colony with 1 6 drop lilliana, 1 davriel and 1 tetsuo.

People hovered every game so I'm assuming they either forgot or didn't know about rats.

Only loss was to a guy with 3 board clears.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I got a lucky 6-1 playing rat colony with 1 6 drop lilliana, 1 davriel and 1 tetsuo.

People hovered every game so I'm assuming they either forgot or didn't know about rats.

Only loss was to a guy with 3 board clears.

I went 6-1. Fought 2 petitioner and 2 rat decks. Beat those then lost to an angel tribal, and then beat 2 gruul somethings. I was surprised considering I just loaded my deck with goblins and spells. I just chose all the good stuff.

1 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
23 Mountain (ANA) 64
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Skirk Prospector (DAR) 144
1 Spear Spewer (RNA) 117
1 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
1 Ember Hauler (M20) 137
1 Icon of Ancestry (M20) 229
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
1 Infuriate (M20) 145
1 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
1 Reckless Rage (RIX) 110
1 Samut's Sprint (WAR) 142
1 Shivan Fire (DAR) 142
1 Shock (M19) 156
1 Chandra's Triumph (WAR) 121
1 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
1 Wizard's Lightning (DAR) 152
1 Goblin Chainwhirler (DAR) 129
1 Goblin Gathering (RNA) 104
1 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
1 Goblin Warchief (DAR) 130
1 Guttersnipe (M19) 145
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Trumpet Blast (M19) 165
1 Act of Treason (M19) 127
1 Goblin Ringleader (M20) 143
1 Goblin Trashmaster (M19) 144
1 Volley Veteran (M19) 168
1 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143
1 Precision Bolt (GRN) 267
1 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Star of Extinction (XLN) 161
1 Finale of Promise (WAR) 127

Sterling

El Presidente
i just threw together esper with almost no win cons because i didn't have to craft anything. The quality of opponents in the events is often really, really bad but i got's my unhinged swamp and my desert lands so it's good enough. Also as a thing putting zombie lands into a mostly elemental ramp deck has been pretty damn fun. I've since cut it to 1 scapeshift, but casting it with 8+ lands in play with an omnath is real satisfying even if it's often wildly overkill.