MTG thread

Sterling

El Presidente
The idea of printing new cards that will be Modern legal that will never have been Standard legal kind of bugs me.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's why they had Matt Nass present the set, since he's the one whose going to get half the cards banned eventually.

This set feels like it's a result of Play Design. They want cards for Modern, but Play Design exists now to go "wtf are you trying to print into standard."

So all the designs that get booted from standard testline for issues probably will end up in this slushfile.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's fine unless it trashes the format and they have to ban a mess of cards after coaxing people to buy in.

Then it isn't fine.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Masters also never changed legality for cards (except pauper), whereas all the old cards being reprinted in this set will become modern legal for the first time.

Obviously, as a horrible human being, I am currently pulling for Astral Slide, Armageddon, Stasis, and Orim's Chant reprints.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The first set with no reserved list is Mercadian Masques. From MM to the start of Modern plus all the older cards never added to the reserved PLUS new cards is a lot of damn cards.

One of my working theories for a while has been that they would push Modern into the slot that Legacy holds (leaving Vintage and Legacy as the MtG equivalent of a classic car show) and introduce a new eternal format with no fetches (Magic Origins forward, no fetches + the first set with the anti counterfit holo decal) but seeing that wheel start to turn at all weirds me out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Masters also never changed legality for cards (except pauper), whereas all the old cards being reprinted in this set will become modern legal for the first time.

Obviously, as a horrible human being, I am currently pulling for Astral Slide, Armageddon, Stasis, and Orim's Chant reprints.
Counterspell in more seriousness would be great.

Sterling

El Presidente
What do people think of the new mulligan rule they are testing?
It's a pretty dramatic change. WIll be an extremely powerful tool for combo/linear decks in bigger formats. Kind of wished they'd have just done scry N instead of this since that's kind of a nice in between change for the most part. The only time it's worse than this proposed rule is when you want to keep more than 7-N cards.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So as excited as I am about the idea of getting older cards like Innocent Blood or Counterspell in to modern, the more I think about this new set the more I hate it.

The core reason this exists is for WoTC to be able to monetize modern players in the same way they do standard - by herding them in to mass-buying sealed product. This being all "new" modern cards is nothing but a huge fucking time bomb for whatever the 0-3 breakout format staples are in it to skyrocket in price, especially if they are brand new and exclusive to this set. Leovold hit ~60$ based 99% on legacy demand from a gigantic print run 4$/pack set. I can't even imagine what his price would have gone to if he was modern legal? And this new set, while being "unlimited" in print run, is being sold at 7$/pack on MTGO. Convenient that they removed physical MSRP just in time to release this eh? So we're going to get 36 pack boxes being sold at nearly double the price of standard sets and with a similar set size, so I look forward to whatever the new Tarmogoyf or whatever it is being a 150$ within weeks.

This entire thing is nothing but downside for modern and will raise prices across the board for an already absurdly expensive format. Scalding Tarn will probably hit 100$ over the weekend already, and the rest of the enemy fetches will tick up just as fast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
?
We are perfectly capable to have multiple topics in one thread.

You want to talk about X, talk about it.
Most of the Arena talk is not about arena, is about standard strategy, and the state of the metagame is.

The problem for me is talking about standard there, coming to this thread in a complete separate sub-forum, to talk about modern i come here.

Modern WILL come to Arena..

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
?

Most of the Arena talk is not about arena, is about standard strategy, and the state of the metagame is.

The problem for me is talking about standard there, coming to this thread in a complete separate sub-forum, to talk about modern i come here.

why not just merge all the everquest threads into one big thread too then?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
?

Not modern as we know it currently. We'll get an Arena modern format, but they'll never back port it to 8th edition. Legacy will be phased out of official support entirely (or what was left of it), the cards from pre-8th they want in modern will get printed in to it via these new sets and modern and it will take the place of legacy. Arena modern may see paper support as well, depending on its popularity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
why not just merge all the everquest threads into one big thread too then?
you want to champion that champion that.
Nothing is stoping you.

I wanted a single place to talk about MTG, not to have this distinction that if i play the game on a computer is one thing, vs playing the game with real cards, vs playing the game on mobile.

Lets just agree to disagree