MTG thread

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Not modern as we know it currently. We'll get an Arena modern format, but they'll never back port it to 8th edition. Legacy will be phased out of official support entirely (or what was left of it), the cards from pre-8th they want in modern will get printed in to it via these new sets and modern and it will take the place of legacy. Arena modern may see paper support as well, depending on its popularity.

What are the limitations preventing them from slowly bringing modern into Arena? Honest question.

MODO is on the way out,

1551468240000.png

look at how many are on modo vs how many are on Arena.
Arena is the future.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I wanted a single place to talk about MTG, not to have this distinction that if i play the game on a computer is one thing, vs playing the game with real cards, vs playing the game on mobile.

there IS a distinction, tho. Arena is just one small aspect of MTG.

Lets just agree to disagree

but yeah i guess it was already decided, so alright.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What are the limitations preventing them from slowly bringing modern into Arena? Honest question.

one expansion at a time would be really awkward, and releasing it all at once would take a LOT of work, making all the art assets and coding all the rules and etc. i think you're right in this one, that Modern will eventually be in Arena, but i don't think it'll happen for several years at this point. game is still in Beta, they are probably having a hard enough time just keeping up with 4 Standard releases a year.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It took quite awhile for them to add the old sets to MTGO.

and MTGO doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Arena has. even just the fact that every Mythic card in Arena has a unique animation means a TON more work when adding in old sets.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Their business model does not support adding the literal 10,000+ cards of modern in to Arena - there's simply no way the economy can process that unless they want to massively, massively overhaul how wildcards and crafting are handled, or sell modern packs at 1/10th normal pack price, etc. It's just too big. That doesn't even touch on the logistics of making sure they all work right, have animations, etc.

Modern also contains a lot of cards that do not fit with current-year WOTC philosophy. Fetches especially are a thing that WOTC has been very vocal about not wanting around anymore, not only just for power level, but also for spectator and game-flow reasons.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Modern also contains a lot of cards that do not fit with current-year WOTC philosophy. Fetches especially a type of card that WOTC has been very vocal about not wanting around anymore, not only just for power level, but also for spectator and game-flow reasons.

that's because of the time it takes to shuffle right? that's alleviated a bit in digital at least.

Sterling

El Presidente
Their business model does not support adding the literal 10,000+ cards of modern in to Arena - there's simply no way the economy can process that unless they want to massively, massively overhaul how wildcards and crafting are handled, or sell modern packs at 1/10th normal pack price, etc. It's just too big.

Modern also contains a lot of cards that do not fit with current-year WOTC philosophy. Fetches especially are a thing that WOTC has been very vocal about not wanting around anymore, not only just for power level, but also for spectator and game-flow reasons.
In fairness fetches and similar tutor effects are much less hassle in an online setting.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
that's because of the time it takes to shuffle right? that's alleviated a bit in digital at least.

It's a big part of it for paper tournaments yea. They also fuck up a lot of design space for cards in general, so while the shuffling is less of an impact in digital, their impact on making an otherwise benign card like Gurmag Angler in to a multi-format powerhouse is something they'd much rather do without I think.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
//Creatures (12):
2 Doom Whisperer
4 Thief of Sanity
2 Angel of Grace
4 Hostage Taker

//Non-creature Spells (23):
2 Disinformation Campaign
4 Thought Erasure
3 Discovery // Dispersal
1 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
1 Consecrate // Consume
3 Duress
3 Cast Down
2 Fungal Infection
2 Vraska's Contempt

//Lands (25):
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Glacial Fortress
1 Swamp
4 Watery Grave
4 Godless Shrine
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Isolated Chapel

//Sideboard (0):
3 Absorb
1 Kaya's Wrath
3 Consecrate // Consume
1 Duress
2 Moment of Craving
3 Negate
1 Fungal Infection
1 Vraska's Contempt

Taking this deck to Saturday Standard Showdown today. Based on Seth Manfield's Dimir deck from Cleveland, made it into Esper tho obviously. Haven't been to anything at this LGS in awhile, but I assume the meta there will have more Mono U and Mono R and less Control or Nexus, so I tried gearing it a bit more towards the agro matchup. Maybe still not enough towards that tho? Idk. I know there's at least one guy there that's still gonna be playing Jeskai Control, and another guy that's probably doing Sultai.

Maybe I should have another sweeper in the sideboard.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^^ Lost first round to Izzet Drakes, then went on to finish with an overall 3-1 record. Guy I lost to in the first round was one of only two to enter the final round with a 3-0 record.

Wrote out sideboard plans for Sultai, Mono-U, Mono-W, Mono-R, Control, and Nexus. Completely blanked out on a plan for Drakes... Need to figure that out for next time, saw three total of the 12 players playing Drakes.

The guy I said that I expected to be playing Sultai brought a Persistent Petitioners deck, and ended up going 0-4. He lost his last round to a guy who started playing Magic 3 weeks ago and was playing the Gruul Planeswalker deck fresh out of the box. I lold.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Just getting back into playing. Leary of picking up that new alliance shit...last good deck I used was my mono black vamp deck. Suggestions on where to start or if mono black vamps are viable?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
36 Planeswalkers and a Planeswalker in every booster pack, interesting. I wonder how they're gonna divide them up...

1 Planeswalker of each of the 5 single colors and 2 of each of the 10 two-color guilds gives us 25. Add 1 of each of the 10 three-color sets, and a single artifact/non-colored one (Karn, of course), and the total is 36.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user