MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
This top 8 doesn't seem to contain a single deck without relatively new cards, it has 3 hogaak decks, ...

You've obviously never played eternal at any kind of competitive level.
I played before they started the recent ban waves for each set. I stopped playing because there were too many autistic trannies at my LGS.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
I played before they started the recent ban waves for each set. I stopped playing because there were too many autistic trannies at my LGS.

This is pretty normal. Something about card games 🤷 cost of doing business.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is pretty normal. Something about card games 🤷 cost of doing business.
The rules are very autistic.

I tried teaching a few people and the difference between killing a creature with damage, destroying it, exiling it, sacrificing it, bouncing it, discarding it while in hand and milling it from the library isn't intuitive at all.

That's not the only example either.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I know that are breaking things in standard too, but they should have the supported eternal format be limited to decks which were previously standard legal instead of a free for all. At least then the decks were tested at the time.

Like you have to choose a time period when your deck was legal to use it in "Modern".

lawl try enforcing that especially at the lgs level having to register and verify every deck ahead of time with convoluted deck building constraints, insane.

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
This top 8 doesn't seem to contain a single deck without relatively new cards, it has 3 hogaak decks, ...

You've obviously never played eternal at any kind of competitive level.

it's funny how hogaak decks are just the modern decks when they were legal with 2 cabal therapies thrown in + original duals. man how did that card ever get printed

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
it's funny how hogaak decks are just the modern decks when they were legal with 2 cabal therapies thrown in + original duals. man how did that card ever get printed

D&T with rest in peace wrecks hogaak

sneak & show wrecks hogaak, T1 with a 2 mana land, petal, its gg, they got not a single card in deck or sideboard that can deal with a grissle or emrakul

i'd say hogaak is a pretty poor deck that gets played a lot due to low entry barrier, but that's just based on a glance, haven't kept up

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Zendikar SL is up right now. Decided to check out shipping for giggles - $9. Now I'm laughing, not giggling.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
EDH has been cancerous for almost a decade now.

It's just become terminal now that WOTC has realized it's their largest market and are skewing the entire game around it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
As an EDH player, I wish they would stop making so much shit for it, TBH. There's too much shit. One of the nice things I like about EDH was that for the most part, I can build a deck and maybe swap in a few new cards every year, but overall it'd be pretty low maintenance. I can't keep up with all this new shit that's just straight better than what I have that I gotta go sort through and buy, etc. Given up on building new decks, too, it's too much work and there's new shit getting spoiled before I finished building something from the last set.

Tried out a set booster box since I like ripping packs but I don't draft. Got the showcase Omnath, 2 green/white fliplands (1 foil), a full art blue/black flipland, a fun player rewards Doom Blade off the list (and of course I got the mother fucking cloudgoat ranger, fuuuck), and got a Scalding Tarn for my box topper among other things. Only got one stamped art card. 3 foil rares, but unfortunately 2 of them were fucking Coveted Prizes, third was a regular art Lotus Cobra. Overall was happy with it and pretty sure I paid for the box (was $130 at my LGS) and still got a buy a box promo with it. Will probably stick to popping one of these per set if they keep making them from here out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EDH is at its best when you're macguyver'ing shit together. The more "tailored to edh" stuff they make the more that aspect goes away.

Half the reason I played EDH was to play all the dumb fun cards that weren't good enough for actual tournament play but still held nostalgia/fun melvin shit. That aspect has rapidly been crushed by the increase in average power level of the format.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Limited is the only format I can even stand anymore.

Wizards has done such a bad job with standard and Historic is a getting to be a fucking joke too. Ban Burning Tree Emissary but Uro is fine? Print Thoughtseize into the format for no good fucking reason?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I've considered putting a cube together, but I might try to do something like the Jumpstart "packs" instead, as a more light-weight approach, since locals really love that. The saddest part to me is that there's a decent enough chunk of the playerbase now that's new enough where standard was *never* good for them, and they look at me like I'm insane when I try to explain that it was the premier way to play for 15 years before it went to pot. I enjoy a variety of different formats for different reasons, and the rotation and week-to-week metagame shifts of standard aren't really reflected in other formats to the same degree, so it was always something I enjoyed playing alongside the eternal formats.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I got offered € 17k for my collection today.

This based on about 300-340 cards which are the core / most expensive part of my legacy collection, potential buyer stated 17k is 75% of cardmarket.com value.

On top of that I have a hilarious amount of "bulk", (opened 20+ boxes of modern masters, still have all the uncommons / commons) along with some stuff like 5 sealed FTV:20. This was given no value, only glanced at.

The way I see it this has me paying over 5.5k for the sale of 340 cards, many of which are playsets and all of them popular/liquid.

I think I should aim for 19.5k, which would still offer him a € 10 profit for listing & selling each card, at the lowest cardmarket price.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I can't/don't want to sell them individually.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Not worth it, Rudy isn't showing collections anymore.

I rarely watch his stuff anymore.

I'd be selling to a guy I've played with for a few years. He offered to pay in cash, very eager to buy.

Friend of mine can scrape cardmarket prices, so i'll be making a list of the main stuff soon, will post it here also. I have about 45 duals, 4 are fbb, the rest is revised.

Would still like advice. I was also offered to have them sold on a commission base, which doesn't require an investment from the seller and would give better returns. I'm just afraid that the person selling would sell worse condition cards, which makes a lot of difference when it comes to cradle's, LEDs, monoliths and the likes .. keeping track of this would take a lot of time, which I don't want to invest

Guess asking Rudy for an offer could be fun.

Learning my 6 nr DCI number is no longer relevant wasn't. I got that at GP Antwerp in 1998. I met Randy Buehler, a big guy when it came to MTG. Also a big guy in real life, and the first guy I saw ordering an xl sandwhich with everything on top, along with a diet coke.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Can anyone link a site that allows fast uploading of HQ images? Maybe I'll post it here before asking Rudy for a price.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tried out a set booster box since I like ripping packs but I don't draft. Got the showcase Omnath, 2 green/white fliplands (1 foil), a full art blue/black flipland, a fun player rewards Doom Blade off the list (and of course I got the mother fucking cloudgoat ranger, fuuuck), and got a Scalding Tarn for my box topper among other things. Only got one stamped art card. 3 foil rares, but unfortunately 2 of them were fucking Coveted Prizes, third was a regular art Lotus Cobra. Overall was happy with it and pretty sure I paid for the box (was $130 at my LGS) and still got a buy a box promo with it. Will probably stick to popping one of these per set if they keep making them from here out.
8fc.jpg

• 1Edgelord