MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tempest through Urza blocks, then Odyssey/Onslaught/Invasion.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
That's hard to say. Somewhere in the earliest days through to Invasion block or so was where I had the most success on a consistent basis since I played more than half of my PTs and other major tournaments during that early period, and triple invasion team rochester draft might be my single favorite format of all time. There have been other times that I also enjoyed a lot as well, but that'd more likely be a list of favorite formats or specific events than an actual era.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's depressing to think I peaked like two decades ago now. I blame L5R and EDH.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
So what is everyone here’s personal Golden Age of playing Magic, when was the game the most fun for you?

I played from like 96-99/00ish before I came back in 2015, 99 was more fun in sense there was no real netdecking

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
looks like new capenna will complete the triome cycle

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I was already prepared to hate it, since I just fucking hate the 20s and mafia shit and just don’t care for noir in general. But yeah, I hate all the aesthetics of this shit.

Also I guess Elspeth is a fucking flapper or some shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's been a lot of good eras of MTG. Tempest through Invasion block was great. Zendikar through Innistrad block was great.

Modern was pretty great for the first 4-5 years it was around.

For limited players, we've had an absolutely fantastic run lately. These have been some of the best draft sets of all time. Even Crimson Vow which was initially rated as a pretty crappy draft set ended up turning into a great one once people learned the set. Surprising depth that wasn't initially apparent within the first few weeks of the format. On the flipside, these sets now all suck for sealed, as the decks are all synergy dependent, but sealed sucks anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Op ed by Richard Garfield

Oh he's definitely right. That's why WoW PvP gets so stale, and the MTG arena ladder as well.

MTG Arena limited stays interesting, because you are matched partially by rating and partially by event progress.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Grinding set completion via rare drafting on arena killed it for me. Was really fun before I did that for a couple sets

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Grinding set completion via rare drafting on arena killed it for me. Was really fun before I did that for a couple sets
I completed Zendikar Rising, most Strixhaven and all of Midnight Hunt through drafts and had a fucking blast. Loved all those sets and the drafts just got better and better the more I understood the sets. Hit #60 Mythic during Midnight Hunt.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yes, actually drafting was fun. Rare-drafting to fill in a spreadsheet to ensure set completion from opening packs three weeks after set release was cancer :)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, actually drafting was fun. Rare-drafting to fill in a spreadsheet to ensure set completion from opening packs three weeks after set release was cancer :)
If you just keep winning you'll get all the cards eventually. :)

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
If you just keep winning you'll get all the cards eventually. :)
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• 1Double Worf

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They really lost me with the return to Kamigawa set, I haven't played since the spoilers for it started. It's like they created a focus group out of Hot Topic employees and asked them how they'd design a "Japan but the future" world. Just the worst fucking tropey bullshit constantly, with a billion bad anime alternate arts for everything.

This new gangster set doesn't look any better.

The lord of the rings set will probably completely and finally ruin modern for me, so can't wait for that either.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Time to buy four Gandalfs for $95 a piece, or if you're budget play Gimli Fling

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Time to buy four Gandalfs for $95 a piece, or if you're budget play Gimli Fling

The utter contempt from WOTC is what kills me. "we know this lame crossover set won't sell very well if it's silver bordered, so we're willing to tank the integrity of our most popular format in order to push sales to satisfy the licensing agreement we made".

The game is finally in it's death throes I think, and this is just the last few drops of blood getting siphoned out.