MTG thread

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apparently WOTC's printers didn't include the 3 Japanese-language-only Godzilla cards in the English and French Collectors Boosters packs (that they had previously said would only be available in Japanese language boosters anyway?), so now the vendors will be handing them out separately. GL I guess, if you bought any of these.

On a completely separate note, been spending coronachan time going through old boxes, throwing shit away, consolidating, etc. Anyway ran across a binder mixed in with random non-MTG shit that had 11 duel lands in it. Set of Savannahs, set of Scrublands, 2 Tropical Islands, and a Plateau. Not the money end of the scale, but happy to come across these. For years I swore I had more duels, but I've never been able to find them. Yay! Bonus Dark Ball Lightning and other random small stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Officially on the companions are the worst thing since Phyrexian mana bandwagon. Shit's dumb.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Mutate makes for some pretty one sided limited games, but companions fundamentally break some normal dynamics of how the game works. It's basically a free card in hand and creates more consistent play patterns to an extreme level.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I seriously don't understand how companion made it out of design. It's completely asinine.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I seriously don't understand how companion made it out of design. It's completely asinine.
Jokes aside I really do think it really is like Delve/Phyrexian Mana/Affinity fucked up, just in a different way. Those mechanics let you cheat mana by a lot, companions give you a free card and extra consistency on an absurd level. And many of the building restrictions are barely restrictions. It's just unreal how dumb it is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Crack this LED, go get my companion, G to the G
yeah LED with the companion that lets you recast a thing from your GY seems pretty wild. Not sure it's actually good considering there's plenty of stupid things you can already do with LED but it's certainly interesting. I do think this set is going to make Standard games play out so consistently that people will get bored very quickly. Plus just in general with how they've been designing cards/sets the last few years even in close matchups you have a much higher than normal percentage of non games. There's always some amount of it baked into the game with how lands work and drawing random cards, but it just snowballs now.

OneofOne

Well, since Amazon has now limited buying to 2 blisters per account, thought I'd mention if you want to pick up some cheap Battlebond, I would do so:

I know the reviews are bad, but I think it's people who didn't buy from Amazon directly, or people trying to scare other buyers away. I'm not going to mention how much I've dumped into this over the last year (no, that number in your head? even more than that) but it's legit. My last purchase of 2 of these (so 12 packs) netted me Doubling Season, Bramble Sovereign, Spellseeker, Morphic Pool, and Sea of Clouds. Mind you that's a better than average pull, but I've never had a bad pull. Ain't going to tout numbers, but I've never lost a dime buying these. YMMV but if you're looking for cheap legit Battlebond, there ya go.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
We picked one up just a little bit ago. I don’t know if I just don’t remember BB much but the packs felt super weird. Got a diabolic intent but sadly was the only good thing out of the 6 packs we got.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
A4AD73CC-5AB4-4336-8965-B17D406566EC.jpeg

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That plains and forest look goofy as fuck. The other three are okay and I’d maybe use them if I found one out of a pack or laying in a pile of chaff destined for the trash, but fuck no am I paying $30+ for those...

OneofOne

Island > Swamp > Plains

Mountain art is extremely good, but subject matter presented in a horrible way. Like the forest, it needed a different pic. Forest needed him from a bird's eye view walking through a forest as far as the eye could see. I'd say it's unfortunate, since green is my color, but not like I'm getting these anyway /shrug

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
5-6 bucks each is kind of around the rate of a lot of popular pimp lands before they get to the absurdly expensive stuff. Beta, 1996 arena, Unhinged etc. If you want to be a big baller though you have to go Guru or Summer Magic. Summer Magic is especially awesome since it's essentially a revised land with 4th edition coloring.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'd be more interested if they didn't have godzilla on them, takes away from the art. Mountain art is amazing.

Still my favorites are my Euro lands and misprint/altered lands.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'd be more interested if they didn't have godzilla on them, takes away from the art. Mountain art is amazing.

Still my favorites are my Euro lands and misprint/altered lands.
I roll with 1996 arena lands. They look nice, are obscure enough that they're not very commonly seen and 4-10 dollars so reasonably pimp but not out of control. I had bought a collection that had about 150 guru lands though, it took us awhile to sell them all, but it eventually happened.

• 1Like