NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Blake really just comes off as someone who is more interested in enjoying the entertainment life, rather than a player who just gives his absolute all to compete for championships (being a "tweener" position-wise, doesn't help). Might not be a fair assessment, but he definitely strikes me as a really good player who is happy to be where he is at. Reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard's career trajectory, just a way cooler dude.

Going from LA to Detroit has to suck though for a guy like Blake.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
@SI_LeeJenkins

Quote:
The Clippers held their free agent meeting with Griffin at Staples. They lowered the lights in the arena and raised his jersey to the rafters as a choir sang. The PA announcer said: "Tonight, we’re honoring a lifelong Clipper."
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png

Blake Griffin clear #1 franchise guy of all time for the Clippers, big song and dance to keep him this summer, now shuffled off to dunk all over your memories twice a year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like Bagley III is sliding some in draft projections. He has insane production, but he is stuck in that "tweener" role, not quite a true center and not quite an NBA 4. Great talent, but he isn't a good shooter (at least as of now) and is not a rim protector. Evaluators seem like they are leaning towards Ayton & Doncic for the #1 pick, followed by Bamba and Bagley III. Trae Young is definitely playing his way into top 5 consideration and maybe higher.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Ayton wasn't the #1 pick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Porter Jr. end up at #2 with how talented he is, back injury and all. Potentially a better shooting Ben Simmons. There is some legit talent picks 1-6.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Looks like Bagley III is sliding some in draft projections. He has insane production, but he is stuck in that "tweener" role, not quite a true center and not quite an NBA 4. Great talent, but he isn't a good shooter (at least as of now) and is not a rim protector. Evaluators seem like they are leaning towards Ayton & Doncic for the #1 pick, followed by Bamba and Bagley III. Trae Young is definitely playing his way into top 5 consideration and maybe higher.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Ayton wasn't the #1 pick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Porter Jr. end up at #2 with how talented he is, back injury and all. Potentially a better shooting Ben Simmons. There is some legit talent picks 1-6.

How is Bagley a tweener? He's 6'11 235 lbs, can probably play 3 positions in today's NBA. His shot doesn't look bad, he'll probably take 3's more frequently in the NBA. I also compared Bagley to a better shooting Ben Simmons a while back. He's a solid shooter and a good ball handler for a guy that size, crazy good motor, think he'll go #1.

There's no way Doncic goes top 3, he's the Ricky Rubio of this draft. Super overhyped Euro just because of the fact that he started playing pro ball at such a young age. Ayton is probably #2, then Porter. Porter would have been in the #1 discussion, its just hard to see a team gamble with his back when I think Bagley and Ayton are almost assured to be all stars themselves. Ayton is David Robinson with a bit more of Shaq's heft, but hasn't yet quite shown the shot blocking prowess of those two.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
How is Bagley a tweener? He's 6'11 235 lbs, can probably play 3 positions in today's NBA. His shot doesn't look bad, he'll probably take 3's more frequently in the NBA. I also compared Bagley to a better shooting Ben Simmons a while back. He's a solid shooter and a good ball handler for a guy that size, crazy good motor, think he'll go #1.

There's no way Doncic goes top 3, he's the Ricky Rubio of this draft. Super overhyped Euro just because of the fact that he started playing pro ball at such a young age. Ayton is probably #2, then Porter. Porter would have been in the #1 discussion, its just hard to see a team gamble with his back when I think Bagley and Ayton are almost assured to be all stars themselves. Ayton is David Robinson with a bit more of Shaq's heft, but hasn't yet quite shown the shot blocking prowess of those two.

Bagley, as of right this second, does not have a jumper. Mechanically his shot doesn't look bad so the hope is that he develops it, but draft guys are saying there is risk because of his lack of a jumper. He also does not play a defensive 5, hardly at all. Great motor, good post production, but a lack of a concrete fit according to the scouts etc. I mean I'm with you, his talent and production is fucking awesome. He just might be more LaMarcus Aldridge or Blake Griffin rather then legitimate bonafide mega-star (I would still take that obviously).

Doncic is a dramatically better shooter than Rubio, a billion times better. The concern with him is his ability to create his own shot/lack of potential athleticism. Everyone knows there is always a scary chance, that his game is severely overrated just because he is a Euro. That being said, apparently scouts like him enough that they still project him as a Top 3 pick.

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You cant really predict NBA draft value. Look at the 2016 season, where Malcom Brogdon won rookie of the year. No one saw that coming,and the Bucks certainly didnt know what they had, but I also think it spoke to the lack of true talent in that draft pool. But then this year, Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid are playing like top picks, yet Markell Fultz is on a milk carton, Lonzo Ball looks like a bust, and Donovan Mitchell will win ROTY.

Its insane. A #1 or 2 pick can either be a Greg Oden or a Kevin Durant. Or when the Blazers passed on Micheal Jordan. You never know what your going to get. Knicks fans werent so excited about Porzingis but hat has worked out pretty well. Then they go with the frenchman and come up with a dub.

Id like to think a Marvin Bagley is a sure fire NBA star, but you just never know.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You cant really predict NBA draft value. Look at the 2016 season, where Malcom Brogdon won rookie of the year. No one saw that coming,and the Bucks certainly didnt know what they had, but I also think it spoke to the lack of true talent in that draft pool. But then this year, Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid are playing like top picks, yet Markell Fultz is on a milk carton, Lonzo Ball looks like a bust, and Donovan Mitchell will win ROTY.

Its insane. A #1 or 2 pick can either be a Greg Oden or a Kevin Durant. Or when the Blazers passed on Micheal Jordan. You never know what your going to get. Knicks fans werent so excited about Porzingis but hat has worked out pretty well. Then they go with the frenchman and come up with a dub.

Id like to think a Marvin Bagley is a sure fire NBA star, but you just never know.

Fuck. I forgot Lonzo Ball was even in the league. Did the Lakers put the full court press on the dad to STFU? Has the boy learned to shoot yet?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck. I forgot Lonzo Ball was even in the league. Did the Lakers put the full court press on the dad to STFU? Has the boy learned to shoot yet?
No and No. And Lonzo has been injured for most of the year.

I really wish the Lakers wouldn't have drafted him. I was always wary of him just due to the drama with his dad, but his shooting is also really bad.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

As easy as it is to be down on him, that Lakers team only wins when he is on the court (for whatever that's worth). I think it's extremely likely that Dennis Smith Jr. and possibly Fox will be better PGs than Ball. Ball's jumper is still broken, and the big thing that will keep him from being a Top 20 ish player in the league will probably be his ability to score. Who knows, maybe his defense tightens up and he can get close to those Kidd comparisons. Maybe he'll be more Ricky Rubio...

And absolutely what Jozu said, no way we can know for sure about drafting players, just relaying some thoughts I was seeing from Ford & Thorpe.

On another note, Mavs have lost four in a row! Top 5-6 pick fellas, that's all I want!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>

I'm not sure how much I agree with this. Nor do I think a one or two year evaluation is enough to really decide on how good a player is going to end up being. Brogdon won ROY because, yes the top of the the draft disappointed, it was a weak year and he was arguably much more NBA ready than most of that class (senior at Virginia) on a team where he wasn't asked to do a ton. Now he comes off the bench. Poor rookie seasons, but if you were redrafting 2016 you'd still take Simmons, Ingram, Brown, Murray, Poltl and Sabonis over him. And that's just after 1.5 years of production. Analytics are doing a better and better job of predicting NBA success for college prospects and it's certainly way, way, way too early to make any kind of determination on the player Fultz will be long term.

Oden is an odd example too, because he was insanely productive during the short stretch that he actually played. Injuries killed his career, not bad draft scouting. He was certainly worth that pick when it happened.

Busts are a thing and this isn't a perfect science by any means, but "you can't really predict draft value" with Oden and Brogdon as your proof isn't a very convincing argument to me.

I really like Bagley still. Just hard for me to think a guy that athletic won't succeed. I understand the comments though. Both Ayton and Bamba are showing a bit more offensive refinement. Either way and exciting top of the draft class this year.

@SI_LeeJenkins

Quote:
The Clippers held their free agent meeting with Griffin at Staples. They lowered the lights in the arena and raised his jersey to the rafters as a choir sang. The PA announcer said: "Tonight, we’re honoring a lifelong Clipper."
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png

Blake Griffin clear #1 franchise guy of all time for the Clippers, big song and dance to keep him this summer, now shuffled off to dunk all over your memories twice a year.

This was before Jerry West wasn't it? I may be confused there though. The truth is, there's only 3 places to be in the NBA, bottoming out, middle of the pack or one of the two or three actual contending teams. There is certainly an argument that there is still a ton of franchise value to being in that second category, but after losing Paul the Clippers had no possible way to get to that top level (even though they weren't really going to get there anyway) with Blake and DJ's contracts. It's a good move on their part. If CP3 is still on that team, maybe you're content with the 3 or 4 seed for the next two or three years before kicking off this rebuild, but it makes sense after losing him.

• 1Solidarity

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't have to use this year and last year as examples, I can use any year really, I just highlighted 2016 and 17 as they are the most recent.

Like I said we can go back to 1981. For every Magic Johnson there is a Derrick Rose. Which doesn't make much sense when you read it, but if you follow your Oden argument it does, as Rose was an MVP but suffered injuries that decimated his career.

There is a massive grey area when you factor in injuries and when it's that, rather than just a lack of production, it's almost impossible to project opportunity cost and loss based on unavailability.

Availability is the best ability, and using injuries as an excuse for someone not living up to their draft position shouldn't be part of the discussion.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Until scouts can peer into the future and predict injuries, the NBA draft might as well just be pulling rabbits out of hats.