New World

Dreaderus

Trakanon Raider
So no classes? for some reason I always get bummed on no class MMO's i know some folks like it, I like classes :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Classes are based on your armor/weapons/stat allocation. It's a carte blanche kind of class system.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Classes are based on your armor/weapons/stat allocation. It's a carte blanche kind of class system.

That's not what people usually mean when they use the word classes, in accordance with MMOs. A class based system is like EQ or WoW, where you pick a class, and all your skills and ability options are set according to that class. A skill based system is like Ultima Online or Elder Scrolls, where you have X number of skills and you can mix and match how ever you please.

This game is a skill based system, like UO or ESO. You can skill up every weapon you want (the only cost is time), and respec your stats to match them (for gold). If you chose to wield a Rapier, a Musket, and wear Heavy Armor, you aren't magically going to be called X class in game (because there are no classes).

rhinohelix rhinohelix I don't know if the guy just got in the alpha or he just failed to make that part of the video clear, but small correction, there are 3 factions (Syndicate (Purple), Marauders (Green), and Covenant (Orange)). He is currently in the Syndicate faction, and they page he pulls up lets him chose to switch to one of the other two (that he is not currently in).

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So no classes? for some reason I always get bummed on no class MMO's i know some folks like it, I like classes :(
Same with me. I like the more traditional fantasy aspect when it comes to classes. I couldnt get into Darkfall because of their system. Ill still try New World but meh.

Xerge

<Donor>
Nothing stopping you from walking around and identifying yourself as a wizard.

• 1Worf

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Possibly going to sell items or boost to help leveling up character and trade skill experience. Really?

988E631C-B16F-40D2-9C8C-D6125F652CE3.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Possibly going to sell items or boost to help leveling up character and trade skill experience. Really?

View attachment 353852
Was in first alpha but can't recall, was there some kind of experience pool when rested for experience (character and skill)? Potions to increase effectiveness of that as a catch-up mechanic for casuals might work. 300% rested potion, etc.

/shrug

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
I can't see them doing anything that ESO doesn't already do. I highly doubt they'll cash wall their gameplay systems as the amount of negative feedback would be too much, imo. They can't afford the bad PR at this point. ESO's cashshop has cheap things to speed shit up like mount trainings, instant research scrolls for tradeskills, potions, food, exp. bonus scrolls. There's no way their cash shop will sell instant level ups, gear, or any kind of bull shit like that. I fucking love cashshops, life is good, spend some money on shit you enjoy. Chances are though for every item in the cash shop there will be a player made equivalent or something close to it available.

A few cry babies on youtube about it right now.

Last edited:

Burns

Was in first alpha but can't recall, was there some kind of experience pool when rested for experience (character and skill)? Potions to increase effectiveness of that as a catch-up mechanic for casuals might work. 300% rested potion, etc.

/shrug

They have a rested system that builds up, the longer you stay offline. I think it caps at 1 full level of XP and it works similar to WoW, in that quests may not get bonus XP (I did not pay close attention to what rested affects).

• 1Like

Daidraco

Cash shops are here to stay. People can complain all they want, but an exp potion is the least of my worries when it comes to what "could" be sold on there.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
That's not what people usually mean when they use the word classes, in accordance with MMOs. A class based system is like EQ or WoW, where you pick a class, and all your skills and ability options are set according to that class. A skill based system is like Ultima Online or Elder Scrolls, where you have X number of skills and you can mix and match how ever you please.

This game is a skill based system, like UO or ESO. You can skill up every weapon you want (the only cost is time), and respec your stats to match them (for gold). If you chose to wield a Rapier, a Musket, and wear Heavy Armor, you aren't magically going to be called X class in game (because there are no classes).

rhinohelix rhinohelix I don't know if the guy just got in the alpha or he just failed to make that part of the video clear, but small correction, there are 3 factions (Syndicate (Purple), Marauders (Green), and Covenant (Orange)). He is currently in the Syndicate faction, and they page he pulls up lets him chose to switch to one of the other two (that he is not currently in).
-The defined class vs. open class system is always a big debate, and I know lots of people are going to come down on each side of the fence. As long as it's more like Elder Scrolls/ESO and less like ME: Andromeda, it won't be so bad. In games where you know the system or they give you a role-based framework to work within, it's not so bad and can be great; In games where you can easily "gimp" or smudge yourself into being bad at a chosen role, its terrible. In the video, I wondered about this when the guy said, I keep forgetting I am not tanking. If you have the respec be easy enough that you can do it enough to correct mistakes or change "class/roles" that's great but IMO but not so often that you are changing roles for every dungeon.

The name of the game escapes me but I remember playing a game where you unlocked different class titles depending upon your attribute/possibly skill choices which was awesome.; hell, it may have been Wizardry, all I know given I am a little under the weather.

-The three factions thing is cool and very ESO; I was hoping for a world of more regional faction choices but I guess with the overarching PVP that was never going to be a thing; you would need an EQ continental system to enforce that, which would work in a colonial-style Old World/colonial bases/New World way I had in my head cannon but it seems this is more Greedfall, nm, I guess.

- Agree with Xerge and Daidraco et al comments on the cash shop. They just make too much money for the companies for there to not be any monetization. As long as they don't make the game more punishing or grindy to encourage spending in an obvious way, again pointing to GW2, nothing in the game felt like it was designed to make you want to spend, its a necessary evil of 2021 just so long as they don't abuse it. I did a spreadsheet on how much I spent on Marvel Heroes and it shocked me out of unmetered spending on these games.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That second video with the more detailed dugneon run looks good, however, I hope they make it a bit more difficult. They seemed to just be steamrolling it.

Xerge

<Donor>
That's the problem with content that doesn't use a scaling system. Each dungeon is geared toward a level and they out leveled it during the press demo. Which makes me wonder about the unique loot that comes from the expeditions. How good will the loot be? Will it be a WoW thing where you go crazy over deadmines drops only to level up later and replace with greens/crafted.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
That's the problem with content that doesn't use a scaling system. Each dungeon is geared toward a level and they out leveled it during the press demo. Which makes me wonder about the unique loot that comes from the expeditions. How good will the loot be? Will it be a WoW thing where you go crazy over deadmines drops only to level up later and replace with greens/crafted.
Random skins. Right now everyone looks the same with gear. I imagine that's the real money going forward.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Random skins. Right now everyone looks the same with gear. I imagine that's the real money going forward.
Forgot about this, if item drops have unique skins they'll be worth grabbing even if you out level the expedition. They did just do a texture pass for items this patch though, should solve a bit of the saminess.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Love how it's coming along but the fast travel points kind of bum me out. I really hated TP'ing all over the place constantly in FF14, as it took me out of it constantly. I get having SOME speed-ups for travel, but fast travel points all over the map is too much.
Go play classic wow and never buy an epic mount you fag.

• 4Worf
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

If the challenge tapers off early most people will leave. WoW has been in this state since Cataclysm and it made the game less and less rewarding to play, the last expansion was comically bad in this regard. I also don't want and or need some Mythic type system either, making scalable encounters is probably a better idea.