NFL 2015-2016 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Way to go Detroit. First Barry Sanders now Megatron. Calvin Johnson apparently mulling retirement.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That would be kind of hilarious. The Lions were hamstrung by his salary for basically his entire career so far (first because of the rookie pay scale, and then of their own accord), so it'd amuse me to see him just walk away.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That would be kind of hilarious. The Lions were hamstrung by his salary for basically his entire career so far (first because of the rookie pay scale, and then of their own accord), so it'd amuse me to see him just walk away.
I'm not sure who comes out worse on that really. Depends how much he wanted a ring. I think the Lions are probably used to having shitty teams by now so what do they care that their rosters were gutted.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
f2qzk6h.jpg

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really don't understand the Saints wanting to get rid of Payton.
I don't think its that they wanted to get rid of Payton, just that they would entertain offers as it could be beneficial to both parties.

Sean Payton just said in his press conference he plans on coaching the saints next year and doesn't envision himself any place else, so it would take something crazy like a first rounder and then some.

He has had NOTHING to work with besides an old Drew Brees. I hate the guy but he is not the problem in New Orleans. Its the idiot GM who went all in three years ago for a super bowl and has been paying the price for it since.
Well Drew isn't retiring and he has one year left on his contract. Most likely scenario atm is he restructures his final year and signs an extension. I agree Micky Loomis has been the problem, although SP having "NOTHING" to work with can't have all the blame placed on Loomis. I'm sure SP has a lot of say in the draft and the Saints have had total duds several years until last year. There isn't a single player on our roster from our 2014 draft, its questionable we started the season with Josh Hill as a starter at te, sent Travaris Cadet packing and paid Spiller big bucks, all big problems and things I'm sure SP had a lot of say in.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
It's his salary right? He can restructure to add years and lower his huge cap hit. BUT that means more years in Detroit. Man...I'd say fuck that shit, accept getting cut as a cap casualty, and sign somewhere else. It's easy from my sofa to say take less money but it's always a factor. If he wants to experience winning before his body completely breaks down he should be begging to be cut. He'll still get paid somewhere just not 18M. Would you rather stay in Detroit or spend the next 3 years with Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton or Alex Smith?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cutting him would be $13m dead to clear $11m cap. Next year cutting him would be like $5m dead to save $16m! So I can't see them cutting him for 2016. What motivation do they have to drop him? He put up 1200 yards and nine TD's, plus the intangible of teams having to plan around him. Maybe a little overpriced but still better than most of what they will be getting in FA or the draft right now.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The Saints entertaining offers on Payton basically sounded like "wellIFhe doesn't want to be here anyways we aren't going to make him stay..." Since he's affirmed he wants to be there I think that should squash any rumors that he is going to get moved and really any attempts from teams to pursue him further.

I mean, never-say-never but it sounds like any talks of the Saints moving him were predicated on whether he wanted to remain in NO or not.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
You really have to wonder how good can a head coach be without a franchise QB. Would Bellichek be as good as he is without Brady? (And vice versa of course with how good would the QB have been without that coach.)

Thats what makes me think maybe Payton wouldn't thrive in say, Cleveland or San Francisco, because there wouldn't be a starting QB, let alone one that will go into the HOF like Drew Brees there. That isn't to say that Payton would be terrible, but it does make you wonder how good coaches are if they didn't have a HOF QB behind them.

Thats why I chuckle when people talk about Gruden or Cowher coming back. They played in a league, even if they are 8+ years removed from coaching, where things are stacked even more towards needing a franchise QB to be a perennial winner. For me, I think Gruden or Cowher don't come out of retirement because they don't want to risk tarnishing their legacy of being a good coach by coming back and being on a bad team with a bad QB.

For Payton, my guess is only teams that contacted him didn't have a good QB, so its in his best interest to just stay in NO for another year and see if there comes an opportunity to coach in say, Indy with Luck, Tampa with Winston, Tennessee with Mariota, etc

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard an interview with Herm Edwards a while back and they asked him if he would coach again and he said "Only if I had a top 5 quarterback, and that won't happen because coaches with top 5 quarterbacks don't get fired much."

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
You really have to wonder how good can a head coach be without a franchise QB. Would Bellichek be as good as he is without Brady? (And vice versa of course with how good would the QB have been without that coach.)

Thats what makes me think maybe Payton wouldn't thrive in say, Cleveland or San Francisco, because there wouldn't be a starting QB, let alone one that will go into the HOF like Drew Brees there. That isn't to say that Payton would be terrible, but it does make you wonder how good coaches are if they didn't have a HOF QB behind them.

Thats why I chuckle when people talk about Gruden or Cowher coming back. They played in a league, even if they are 8+ years removed from coaching, where things are stacked even more towards needing a franchise QB to be a perennial winner. For me, I think Gruden or Cowher don't come out of retirement because they don't want to risk tarnishing their legacy of being a good coach by coming back and being on a bad team with a bad QB.

For Payton, my guess is only teams that contacted him didn't have a good QB, so its in his best interest to just stay in NO for another year and see if there comes an opportunity to coach in say, Indy with Luck, Tampa with Winston, Tennessee with Mariota, etc
Belicheat had a better record as Head Coach of the Jets then Rex Ryan did. Just sayin....

On Cowher coming back - I think you are forgetting a big piece of the pie. He only left because his wife had cancer. Football is in the blood of guys like Cowher. His girls are out of the house, his wife passed away. Sure, his job right now is comfy and easy and he makes probably as much as he would as a head coach, but guys like him miss the game. It would not shock me to see him come back.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't believe guys like Cowher or Gruden miss the game that much. Cowher's wife died 5 years ago and there has been plenty of turnover since. Gruden isn't dying to be back out there. Who would? Seriously, that's an age old myth. "Coaching is in my blood! Gotta get back in!" Madden was one hell of a coach and he never came back. You can love coaching but hate the grind. You can love coaching but not want to damage your legacy. You can love coaching but not want to leave your comfy job being an expert. These guys aren't coming back. Let's wake up a bit.

Edit- Lovie being fired sounds pretty stupid. I'm not a huge fan but giving a guy 2 seasons to turn around that shitty team ? You gave Raheem 3? Seriously?! Browns level of dysfunction even if keeping Koetter is the reason. Maybe Lovie is toxic...