NFL 2016 - <whatever Tony is doing>

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Literally a half breathing corpse on life support could put up a 100 yards/game behind that line.

Unless they were playing a division opponent this year. He didn't manage to do it against the Giants or the Skins (with 2 fumbles and got benched). But he'll get another chance at each.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people's problem was more about how high he was taken. Of course he was the top back in the draft and right now its looking like a shrewd move, but it just defies conventional wisdom to take a back that high these days. Could they have gotten 80% or more of the same production from a fourth round pick behind that line? Sure, possibly, but really no way to know for sure right now so you have to give credit where its due. Fact of the matter is that the pick is looking to have a chance to pay the kind of dividends you'd expect from a first round RB.

Merrith

That's about right Famm. Even if they'd traded down and taken him middle of the 1st round (although no guarantee he would have fallen that far at all) you would have heard a lot less about it. RB's that high just seem like a bad investment b/c even the great ones only last through a couple of years of pounding. Whether or not he's truly elite elite like AP able to come back from career threatening injuries and years of wear and tear remains to be seen.

Not a soul was sitting here saying "If Dallas drafts a good RB, he'll suck behind that line".

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Unless they were playing a division opponent this year. He didn't manage to do it against the Giants or the Skins (with 2 fumbles and got benched). But he'll get another chance at each.

It's pretty clear that he's improved since his first couple of games.

I wasn't crazy about the pick, but wasn't outraged either since his blocking was supposed to be top notch for a RB and he's certainly shown that

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You don't see a problem that an NFL team can only retweet gifs once the main NFL account has tweeted them? Or that they can't instagram a video of highlights from the previous game unless the NFL made it first?

Do you not understand the word copyright? Maybe I spelled it wrong, it might be copywrite or copywright. Can't be assed to look it up to verify. The NFL has to defend their claim or they have nothing. People could say, hey look your fucking employees are releasing this footage, you have no claim. So they shut it down and then make sure they release everything so they can retweet it properly.

I am honestly baffled by your opposition to this move. Do you think they're setting us all up so that one day they won't be releasing controversial calls and then there will be no place to get them?

Merrith

It's pretty clear that he's improved since his first couple of games.

I wasn't crazy about the pick, but wasn't outraged either since his blocking was supposed to be top notch for a RB and he's certainly shown that

He's definitely a 3 down back. Picks up the blitz just fine. Like Famm said, it's just a value thing. Is it worth it taking one that high when you could get 80% of the production for much cheaper in the middle rounds and use your high 1st on a different position (DLine, etc)? It might be for him.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
The underwear bandit lead the team in rushing TD's last year with 4, McFadden had 3 and Dallas has more rushing TD's than all of last year so don't tell me it doesn't matter who runs the ball because last I checked the difference between kicking field goals instead of TD's matters in the win loss category.

Look at the scores last year, they kicked too many field goals and cost them games because the half dead corpses couldn't rush the ball in the end zone.

• 1Cutler
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

moontayle

Golden Squire
The underwear bandit lead the team in rushing TD's last year with 4, McFadden had 3 and Dallas has more rushing TD's than all of last year so don't tell me it doesn't matter who runs the ball because last I checked the difference between kicking field goals instead of TD's matters in the win loss category.

Look at the scores last year, they kicked too many field goals and cost them games because the half dead corpses couldn't rush the ball in the end zone.
Not to mention, teams sold out to the run last year and neither Cassell nor Wheedon could do anything about it. Teams are still selling out to the run but Elliot is making the most of his blocks, and sometimes get's yards out of nothing, something neither McFadden nor Randle managed when they got the ball. Plus Dak is making teams pay for selling out. Don't get me wrong, there's some huge holes to run through, but it's never those you wonder about. It's the squeaky yards, the ones you get when all you have is a sliver of space between the guard and the center and Elliot seems to be a back who can find those spaces and make the most of them. He's on pace to get close to Dickerson's rookie record. Would be a thing of beauty, that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was another one who just thought using a first round pick on a RB in today's NFL isn't worth it.

Yeah, he's doing awesome, but will his career last 6+ years to make it worthwhile? I guess we'll just have to see in several more years.

Merrith

Wouldn't be surprised if Dallas had more total TD's already this year than last. I think the improved QB play has been the biggest reason for more chances to score, personally. Zeke helps, but when you're talking about looking for a guy who could do 80% production cheaply as a FA pickup or mid round draft pick....McFadden isn't who you imagine.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They'll run him into the ground in his first contract and spit him out, if need be.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Wouldn't be surprised if Dallas had more total TD's already this year than last. I think the improved QB play has been the biggest reason for more chances to score, personally. Zeke helps, but when you're talking about looking for a guy who could do 80% production cheaply as a FA pickup or mid round draft pick....McFadden isn't who you imagine.

I was responding to the it doesn't matter who the rb is, the lack of rushing TD's proved otherwise imo. Four games 0 rushing TD's last year with Romo, QB play had nothing to do with it, the rbs Dallas had last year couldn't sniff the end zone.

As to your argument I'd agree with you but I doubt this hypothetical rb does it without Dez there or has the TD production like Zeke and they wanted special to help the defense and they have it. Also we have that guy you are talking about in Morris backing up Zeke, no depth on defense but oodles on offense.

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I was responding to the it doesn't matter who the rb is, the lack of rushing TD's proved otherwise imo. Four games 0 rushing TD's last year with Romo, QB play had nothing to do with it, the rbs Dallas had last year couldn't sniff the end zone.

As to your argument I'd agree with you but I doubt this hypothetical rb does it without Dez there or has the TD production like Zeke and they wanted special to help the defense and they have it. Also we have that guy you are talking about in Morris backing up Zeke, no depth on defense but oodles on offense.

I think Morris can be solid in a backup role. I feel bad for him because we ran him so hard on a cheap, cheap 6th round deal and he never really got to have even one larger payday. Not that he's hurting I'm sure, but still. I hope he has a decent career as as a solid backup at least.

I don't think Dak needs Dez as much as Romo does for whatever reasons.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
You don't have to worry about Romo running so he needs good receivers.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
But comparing your third string to a team that is legit at the same current season win/loss record? That's a pats' fan kind of thing.

As if me saying Brissett is a better QB than Romo is the worst thing anyone on this board has said about Romo... Keep hating on Patriots fans just because they're Patriots fans, tho.

• 3Cutler
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users