NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The tackle probably doesn't even matter. If he got tackled it likely would have pushed him out of bounds. From that distance there was more than a 50/50 chance they sink that field goal.

I think people believing the tackle would have pushed him out of bounds are crazy. The only reason he came close to going/getting out of bounds was because of the whiffed tackle. Literally let him catch that ball, just jump and wrap up around the waist and prevent him from landing with any balance and he's tackled well in bounds and the clock runs out before the ref even gets the ball set let alone before rest of their offense gets 25 yards up field to try to snap it.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the kid's nerves just got the best of him, he so wanted to make the play that he got there early. If he just waited a second longer to let the play develop he would have up ended Diggs as he was in the air well in bounds, end of game. Regardless, I hardly fault him for losing the game, plenty of blame to spread around.

I really didn't like the ultra conservative play call on 3rd and 1 before the saints final score. Pick up the first down there and your opponent has no chance to score.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think people believing the tackle would have pushed him out of bounds are crazy. The only reason he came close to going/getting out of bounds was because of the whiffed tackle. Literally let him catch that ball, just jump and wrap up around the waist and prevent him from landing with any balance and he's tackled well in bounds and the clock runs out before the ref even gets the ball set let alone before rest of their offense gets 25 yards up field to try to snap it.

I saw several former players saying he would have been tackled out of bounds as well. So I don't think its crazy.

Merrith

I saw several former players saying he would have been tackled out of bounds as well. So I don't think its crazy.

Just the shot from behind (from the end zone) it's pretty obvious he wouldn't make it out of bounds. Defender would be hitting from outside forcing him back in if any contact is made. He really wasn't that close to the sideline where he actually caught the ball, it's just that the defender completely whiffed that his momentum from his jump continued. Literally just go up lightly with him and wrap up, he's landing well in bounds and likely just going down right there.

rlCBar0.png

If he's making contact around waist level...back TOWARDS the middle of the field? He's not getting out of bounds as long as he wraps him up.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I mean that picture is the same exact time as this picture from another angle.

There is no reality where Diggs is tackled out of bounds had Williams just up ended Digg's legs there.

Yeah that too. Virtually any contact he's well in bounds, clock already at 4 or 3 seconds by the time he's down, and it's over.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think the biggest fail yesterday was the Steelers. The coaching staff was just awful in some very key moments. Then you have the whole team thinking the game was gonna be a pushover looking ahead to NE after the Jaguars just beat the shit out of them a few months before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just the shot from behind (from the end zone) it's pretty obvious he wouldn't make it out of bounds. Defender would be hitting from outside forcing him back in if any contact is made. He really wasn't that close to the sideline where he actually caught the ball, it's just that the defender completely whiffed that his momentum from his jump continued. Literally just go up lightly with him and wrap up, he's landing well in bounds and likely just going down right there.

rlCBar0.png

If he's making contact around waist level...back TOWARDS the middle of the field? He's not getting out of bounds as long as he wraps him up.

The defender just has to hit him back towards the line of scrimmage and it doesn't matter where the out of bounds marker is

• 1Solidarity

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the biggest fail yesterday was the Steelers. The coaching staff was just awful in some very key moments. Then you have the whole team thinking the game was gonna be a pushover looking ahead to NE after the Jaguars just beat the shit out of them a few months before.
When did the Steelers stop playing defense and played a spread offense? When did the Steelers turn in to a Big 12 football team?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the issue with the williams play was...he got there too early.
if he had hit diggs when he got there it is a blatant PI and/or defenseless player penalty. there is no fucking way the flag not thrown then. which would...stop the clock so they could attempt a -i believe- 53yd field goal

I think i NOTICED one thing with bortles

does he stick his tongue out of the corner of his mouth when he throws a pass? cuz it looks to me like he does.

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sources: Norton jilts 49ers to be Seahawks DC

I really don't understand these moves by the Seahawks. Norton Jr. was a failed DC in Oakland, and it wasn't like the Seahawks defense was terrible last year, especially considering all of the injuries. I'm sure Norton is a great position coach, but I don't know what the Seahawks see as far as him being a good DC.

Has Brian Schottenheimer ever proven to be much of anything? I don't recall him being any sort of offensive genius.

Just seems like some really weird coaching choices for a team that has been so successful for the past several years. Maybe this is them showing how smart they are again. Who knows.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Sources: Norton jilts 49ers to be Seahawks DC

I really don't understand these moves by the Seahawks. Norton Jr. was a failed DC in Oakland, and it wasn't like the Seahawks defense was terrible last year, especially considering all of the injuries. I'm sure Norton is a great position coach, but I don't know what the Seahawks see as far as him being a good DC.

Has Brian Schottenheimer ever proven to be much of anything? I don't recall him being any sort of offensive genius.

Just seems like some really weird coaching choices for a team that has been so successful for the past several years. Maybe this is them showing how smart they are again. Who knows.

Rumor is Pete brought in Norton to play bad cop and help us regain an edge on defense. The assumption is Pete will essentially be HC/DC combo and Norton is just there to smack people around.

I have no idea about the OC hiring... will have to wait and see

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Still on a big high from the end of that game.

I don't think there was much of an argument here though. Diggs wouldn't have made it out of bounds if Williams had just played conservative, but I think he was just playing on instinct. Case doesn't really get a ton of zip on the ball so all his deep passes are these lobs that Thielen and Diggs bail him out on. The ball went up, Williams played it just like he would any up for grabs ball in any other situation, but got in his head knowing he couldn't risk the penalty. It definitely should have been handled better and sucks to be that guy right now.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't it Tomlin the first one saying that they were gonna play the Patriots twice a few weeks ago? Pretty sure it was him, talk about mind fuck your team