NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It's ironic you bring up taking care of the football as many people post that pick of his 4 Int game (99% probably having no idea that represents over 13% of his career Int). I would note that his passing and TD's per game stats are affected by the fact he averaged must less attempts per game than more prolific QB's. His TD% and yards per attempt are very in line with someone like Matt Stafford, just one guy averaged 25 attempts a game, while Stafford averages 38 a game (38 is actually pretty crazy high, Rodgers is like a 33 while Brady/Manning were around 35). I agree some of his flaws were covered up, but I'd also point out many of the people who shit on him pile on so much that wasn't just on him, as well (stuff like his record his last year, despite being on an utter trash roster with no receivers and the dead last D in the entire league). Even the year he went to the Super Bowl, as good as that defense was for most of the year, they weren't holding their opponents to 14 or less every game or something.

Dude was never as good as some made him out to be, and I have serious doubts he's worth a shit to anyone after this much time away...but his last year and going into 2017 he was still fringe starter/good backup quality QB.

I watched him extensively in college and the pros because I had a friend who loved him. I agree with a lot of this. From the opposite side of the coin, very little of their success was based on him after teams adjusted to his skills. He was a flash in the pan and could have never been a longterm answer for a NFL franchise. His limited skillset and lack of improvement weren't on coaches or a lack of talent any more than his success was based off a massive amount of coaching and player talent during his extremely short stint as a good QB. The defense and running game were their bread and butter during those years.

While Alex Smith will never wow with his pure abilities, he also learned to manage his TOs as well under Harbaugh and provide a similar standard of success. Kaepernick was never a QB you could depend on to win you games consistently. His output ensured that, as you stated. For most Kaepernick defenders, they state bias as the reason he lost to Gabbert, when in reality it's because he couldn't fully grasp the offense and didn't have assloads of offensive talent to hide his weaknesses.

He's no worse than guys like Trubisky, Matt Moore, or Tannehill with the proper weapons and gameplan to maximize opportunities. He's just not even close to as good as his defenders keep preaching.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched him extensively in college and the pros because I had a friend who loved him. I agree with a lot of this. From the opposite side of the coin, very little of their success was based on him after teams adjusted to his skills. He was a flash in the pan and could have never been a longterm answer for a NFL franchise. His limited skillset and lack of improvement weren't on coaches or a lack of talent any more than his success was based off a massive amount of coaching and player talent during his extremely short stint as a good QB. The defense and running game were their bread and butter during those years.

While Alex Smith will never wow with his pure abilities, he also learned to manage his TOs as well under Harbaugh and provide a similar standard of success. Kaepernick was never a QB you could depend on to win you games consistently. His output ensured that, as you stated. For most Kaepernick defenders, they state bias as the reason he lost to Gabbert, when in reality it's because he couldn't fully grasp the offense and didn't have assloads of offensive talent to hide his weaknesses.

He's no worse than guys like Trubisky, Matt Moore, or Tannehill with the proper weapons and gameplan to maximize opportunities. He's just not even close to as good as his defenders keep preaching.

I agree with most of yours as well, though I read a lot of articles from guys who watched closely his last season in San Fran that said he had showed considerable improvement in his ability to be more than a single read passer, and really suffered greatly from poor receivers that year. I agree he had a ton of weapons early in his career and a good defense for the most part (although like I noted, the D didn't do a lot of favors in the playoffs and he and the offense had to do a good bit of heavy lifting then...but I mean, better opponents so to be expected to a degree), but when that team exploded or imploded, however people want to define it, it went to shit really fast.

Frankly that team was so bad both him and Gabbert left town after that year, although Gabbert won an extra game or two, Kaep looked far more efficient by the numbers overall. Just hard to do much (either of them) when your D was giving up 30 points a game and their lead wideouts were nobodies. It's actually pretty crazy the turnover since that 2016 seasons in San Fran and you have to give Lynch and Shanahan a lot of credit for rebuilding the team on both sides of the ball so much the last 2+ years. Pisses me off to no end knowing Kittle was a 5th round pick while we're still paying forever hurt Jordan Reed like $10M a year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I'm sure its just to fill an obligation in the terms of the settlement of Kaepernick's grievance against the NFL, but other than that there is no purpose for this workout other than PR points. No team is going to send a real, decision-making executive to this workout.

It isn't like Kaepernick was banned from the league and is now becoming eligible. If a team was actually interested in Kaepernick he would be/have been invited to work out for that team in that team's facilities, where they use their own drills and tools for evaluation and the relevant decision makers and coaches can actually watch him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Can't wait for the Bengals to sign him! Maybe that's what will cause him to finally retire for good.

"Naw...I'm good..."

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can't wait for the Bengals to sign him! Maybe that's what will cause him to finally retire for good.

"Naw...I'm good..."

I gotta be honest...that would be hilarious. Was like the meme I saw about #1 pick being happy Miami was winning games so they wouldn't draft him. Then getting sad after realizing it would be Cincy.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
I wonder what the interviews be like with Kaep at the workout?

n.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
One of the teams should take a bullet for the league and offer him league minimum and watch him turn it down. That way the league can say they tried.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

This should be a great meeting, when they played in college was hella good game. Seems like it should have been flexed but maybe it is to early in the season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
One of the teams should take a bullet for the league and offer him league minimum and watch him turn it down. That way the league can say they tried.

You think that will change the woke brigade's tune? You think they will take 'We tried, he just isn't NFL material'?

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
I feel like the NFL has realized that appeasing the woke brigade doesn't net them any income.
I thought ESPN was getting that message too but Kaepernick seems to get an article every 12 hours since this bullshit announcement

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
A team like the Pats or Packers needs to sign him so he has no chance of playing unless their starter is dead on the field

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Steelers are gonna have to promote the entire practice squad by the end of the night.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It's not over yet and it is the Browns. Let's calm down.

Randall ejected!