NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
pats got screwed, plain and simple, but there are positives that come from that loss.

1- offense seems to be starting to gel. could be wrong but we'll see if the offense gets better thru week 17.
2- defense showed that if the OFFENSE can score 24pts, they can most likely beat most if not all of the team in the league. they held KC to 3 points in the 2nd half.

RE the ravens..bills played them tough, and could beat the ravens if they play again, the one thing i am not seeing and i think D's need to do more of is.keep a fucking guy on the release back/TE when they go option formation. too many positive plays when the defender slides off the TE to go after jackson and bam little fucking flip pass to the TE/RB for ~7-15 yards... also they need to put a quick LB/safety to just key off of jackson..that is all he does,...follow/cover/try to tackle jackson. but i am not a coach so what do i know.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So maybe Garoppolo isnt bad?

He has been lights out in this Packers-Ravens-Saints 3 game series. I think he only had one pick in those 3 games and that was the tipped ball yesterday. He's been completing over 70% of his passes in the last 4 straight games against some really excellent defenses and has come through in the clutch over and over. He is money on 3rd down and in high pressure situations generally. If this stretch was a "prove it" opportunity for him and the whole team then they passed with flying colors. He definitely had some bad games earlier in the season but since the Seattle game (where he didn't have Sanders or Kittle) it's pretty hard to criticize him. If he played the whole season like he has in the last 4 games I think he would be getting some MVP talk.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
There were a lot of bad calls in that game. Listening to Patriots fans on reddit cry over thks has been cathartic. Look back at all the bullshit calls that have benefited the Patriots in the past (tripping againat the Cowboys, phantom RTP in the AFCC last year, the Myles Jack fumble recovery immediately come to mind). If Brady got tackled out of bounds like Mahomes did, they would call RTP. The DPI in the first drive were weak AF; that alone changed the course of the game.

I think we are all biased and think our team gets screwed all the time, but the officiating is so bad in the NFL, Im fairly confident every team benefits equally from bad reffing (except the Lions).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
He has been lights out in this Packers-Ravens-Saints 3 game series. I think he only had one pick in those 3 games and that was the tipped ball yesterday. He's been completing over 70% of his passes in the last 4 straight games against some really excellent defenses and has come through in the clutch over and over. He is money on 3rd down and in high pressure situations generally. If this stretch was a "prove it" opportunity for him and the whole team then they passed with flying colors. He definitely had some bad games earlier in the season but since the Seattle game (where he didn't have Sanders or Kittle) it's pretty hard to criticize him. If he played the whole season like he has in the last 4 games I think he would be getting some MVP talk.
Jimmy had a huge tendency to overthrow targets, especially across the middle. Earlier in this season a lot of his INTs were the result of throwing way too fucking high. Thankfully, he seems to have calmed that down a little and a lot of his recent INTs have been on tipped passes that weren't really his fault. Plus, his stats after throwing an INT are fucking insane - I posted them earlier in the thread.

His only glaring weaknesses still remaining are the fact that he stays in the pocket too long(which can be a good thing, at times - shows that he isn't panicking, like you alluded to)and often eats sacks when he should just throw the ball away. A few of these have led to costly fumbles.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
For the amount of experience he has I think Jimmy G has been fantastic. Was definitely cautious of the contract when it was first announced but I think the Niners will be happy with it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Im fairly confident every team benefits equally from bad reffing

Feels like the Rams actually have the edge on getting fucked by the refs this season. They should still be in the hunt for the division instead of on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs. Granted if last night's Goff and McVay had been showing up all season long maybe the refs wouldn't be able to have so much of an impact, but when you're underperforming AND the refs are handing free touchdowns/turnovers to your opponent, it's a tough mountain to climb.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think we are all biased and think our team gets screwed all the time, but the officiating is so bad in the NFL, Im fairly confident every team benefits equally from bad reffing (except the Lions).

Over time, I think that's true. But in a sample size of a season, there can be big discrepancies on the effect bad calls have.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bengals are usually bad enough at playing football that the refs largely don't matter anyway. Can't get screwed out of wins when you suck!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Over time, I think that's true. But in a sample size of a season, there can be big discrepancies on the effect bad calls have.

Agree. It effects the week to week outcomes immediately but over the course of seasons it averages out.

Before I drop the topic, one last thing: good teams find a way to win, despite bad officiating. The Patriots were given 125 yards in penalties but couldn't pull it together and win.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Often eats sacks when he should just throw the ball away. A few of these have led to costly fumbles.

I agree with this. He needs to get better at seeing the sack coming and throwing the ball away. That's always been what's so frustrating to me about Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. Just when you think you have them they throw the ball away. It was totally ridiculous a few years ago but they do occasionally call intentional grounding now which keeps them in check a little.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
If the Bears beat the Packers this weekend the Rams will control their playoff fate. Man, too bad we have to play TWO division leaders on the road out of 3 games to finish the season.

(maybe this joke is too subtle, but then I'm sure the Rams will lay an egg against the Cowgirls just to spite me)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Daez how does it feel to be a shitlord underling to the NFC West leaders and number 1 seed Niners?

I was happy for you and the Rams last year and rooted for them in SB.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
No doubt you guys are hot... but if I’m not mistaken one of your losses was the Seahawks yeah? Whom we just crushed and only lost by 1 to earlier in the season because of a last second missed FG. It should be a great game

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Feels like the Rams actually have the edge on getting fucked by the refs this season. They should still be in the hunt for the division instead of on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs. Granted if last night's Goff and McVay had been showing up all season long maybe the refs wouldn't be able to have so much of an impact, but when you're underperforming AND the refs are handing free touchdowns/turnovers to your opponent, it's a tough mountain to climb.

Missed field goals are the main reason they aren't still in division hunt. Should have swept Seattle but Zeurlein choked a fairly easy kick to win the game. Also missed a long one against the Steelers that could have had them within another kick of winning the game and they turned ball over on downs in field goal range later in the game. Not to mention Goff's shitty games against Steelers and Tampa.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Agree. It effects the week to week outcomes immediately but over the course of seasons it averages out.

Before I drop the topic, one last thing: good teams find a way to win, despite bad officiating. The Patriots were given 125 yards in penalties but couldn't pull it together and win.

Are you implying the Patriots gained 125 yards off of terrible/blown ref calls in the game last night?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Just some of it. Definitely some weird calls, like the block in the back, a no call on roughing the passer, ticky tacky DPI or holding. Regardless, giving up that many yards in penalties (and that big of a disparity in penalty yards) is the kind of thing a coach talks about after the game as the obvious reason why their team lost.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
The Patriots are well coached and the Chiefs are not and Vanderhoof thinks that says something about what exactly? Holy shit is he retarded.

• 2Picard
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users