NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean I wouldn't say they are cheap, otherwise they wouldn't have the salary cap issues they have right now. They just overpay for positions when they fall in love with someone, see Kwon Alexander, McKinnon, Richburg, Dee Ford, etc.

I agree that I think they will do anything to keep him, because losing him simply shouldn't be an option. He makes that offense go.

Agreed on them not being cheap. He's basically trying to completely flip the whole "paid by position" paradigm and say he's worth as much as the best WR's. It was one thing for Hooper to get $11M a year and expect Kelce/Kittle to smash that number up to something like $15M a year...talking about getting top WR money (north of 20 a year) is a whole different level.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Agreed on them not being cheap. He's basically trying to completely flip the whole "paid by position" paradigm and say he's worth as much as the best WR's. It was one thing for Hooper to get $11M a year and expect Kelce/Kittle to smash that number up to something like $15M a year...talking about getting top WR money (north of 20 a year) is a whole different level.
Yeah the Kittle contract is going to be very interesting. If they can get him for $15m per year I would be really happy, but I think it is going to be higher unfortunately.

Merrith

Yeah the Kittle contract is going to be very interesting. If they can get him for $15m per year I would be really happy, but I think it is going to be higher unfortunately.

I know the new TV deal was supposed to bump up the cap as much as $40M...which is why I think worries over Mahomes contract wouldn't have been as bad as they normally would have been. Maybe Kittle was banking hard on this to let himself take a huge jump.

Still dumb as fuck this guy lasted until Round 5.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kittle will get 17 million a year with a healthy signing bonus and 3 years garaunteed.

If he pushes for more than that then he is pricing himself out of a good situation. Maybe some desperate team swoops in and offers him 20, but then he will be on some shitty team and be irrelevant.

His 4 year rookie deal payed him 600k a year, with him making 2 million in his final year this year. His signing bonus was 200k.

4 years at 17 with a 3 signing bonus would be a respectable increase given his performance imo.

Edit: and then u look at what QBs got and see that Matt Ryan got a 94 million dollar signing bonus in 2018 and you scratch your head.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
He is the best offensive player on the team. Thought Garagoat handed off a lot last year, without Kittle he'll be doing even more of it. I don't see why Kittle would settle for anything under 20. Like, don't even insult me with an offer under 20.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
He is the best offensive player on the team. Thought Garagoat handed off a lot last year, without Kittle he'll be doing even more of it. I don't see why Kittle would settle for anything under 20. Like, don't even insult me with an offer under 20.
He should not settle for less. I personally don't think these skill positions are worth this kind of money but the league does. I wonder if covid will impact the cap though. If so he might be fucked.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Yeah and it doesn't show on his stat line but he's a huge part of the running game as well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you're the 49ers, you have to find a way to pay him at this point. Maybe you can only afford him for 3 years, but the window on this is very short and these next 3-4 years will likely be Kittle's peak.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you watched the games you know why he had 8 catches. The 49ers ran the ball 90% of the time and the opposing teams had no answer for it. Kittle was a huge part of that. He was a beast in the playoffs in a way that Kelce isn't capable of being. Kittle blocks like an offensive lineman, catches like a wide receiver, and gets yards after the catch like no one else (see the saints game where he's running down the field with a corner holding onto his facemask for dear life and yelling "Help me! Help me! Help me!". He's a one of a kind player. Kelce is a great pass catching tight end but he's no George Kittle.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
He only had 8 catches in the postseason. Kelce had a monster playoff run.
Did you actually watch the playoffs?
1593184458584.png

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kittle is perhaps one of the best run blockers in the entire league as well. He is essentially an extra offensive lineman when the 49ers run the ball. Then you add in the YAC ability, big play ability and his charisma and locker room presence, and you have a player whos value is basically off the charts. There is simply no precedent for a player like Kittle. I agree he should get 20 a year, but I just dont see him getting that from the 49ers. 18 is probably the most they will offer, depending on the length of the deal.

Either way they need to lock him up for the next 3 seasons, no matter what. Its insane that he fell to the fucking FIFTH round of the draft. Looking at what we know about him now, I would argue he should of been a top 10 pick.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think a lot of the reason a deal hasn't been struck is because of the uncertainty of the salary cap. It is expected to go up every year, but with all the Covid nonsense there is a very real possibility it goes down for the 1st time. Makes it tough to negotiate new contracts when you are unsure what your cap is going to be.

• 1Like

Merrith

Edit: and then u look at what QBs got and see that Matt Ryan got a 94 million dollar signing bonus in 2018 and you scratch your head.

Was only a couple years removed from his MVP year and would be Super Bowl title if Kyle Shanahan wasn't a complete idiot.

• 1Like

Merrith

He only had 8 catches in the postseason. Kelce had a monster playoff run.

One's team had 112 passing attempts in 3 games. The other's had 58. Niners had double digit leads in 2nd half of all 3 games, Chiefs were the first team in history to overcome three straight double digit deficits in the playoffs.

Also as much as we love Jimmy G, he ain't exactly Pat Mahomes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah even if Kelce is a slightly better receiver, Kittle blocks significantly better. Not that like every team wouldn't take either one of them.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I think Kelcies blocking is solid and you folks should give it a bit more credit.
Not better then Kittle, but still solid.

There is simply no precedent for a player like Kittle. I agree he should get 20 a year, but I just don't see him getting that from the 49ers.

Would Gronk in his prime not be a precedent for this type of player?

$15m and 3 years seems about right to me.

• 1Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
I think Kelcies blocking is solid and you folks should give it a bit more credit.
Not better then Kittle, but still solid.

Would Gronk in his prime not be a precedent for this type of player?

$15m and 3 years seems about right to me.
I don't think anyone is saying Kelce is necessarily a bad blocker, but the gap between pretty good and one best in the league is bigger than the difference between the top receiving guy and the 2nd best receiving guy. Again, anyone would want one or both of these dudes and it's kind of whatever.

Merrith

Frankly I think both Kelce and Kittle are head and shoulders above all other TE's, it really doesn't matter. Ertz would be in their class, but with Goedert there taking touches, his value drops some.

• 1Like

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
All I'm saying is don't sleep on Kelce. I think most teams would rather have Kittle because he has more years left in him than Kelce.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users