joz123

Potato del Grande
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt5q4ijvoBJdRg65Q9z36U-5DJ4KlhiiukA9WJGEyCuc9Me-bCcw.jpg

Played this game for a while as a kid.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I really like Destiny of an Emperor, it's based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story OP, so you would probably like it for that reason. The gameplay is a bit different, it's more like an RPG or strategy game. Basically you roam around ancient China attacking/freeing lands, killing/fighting famous generals, and building up your kingdom. In fights you could either do basic attacks or you could use tactics which if I remember correctly were like magic spells that your tacticians had. Also I think that you could find or buy new equipment and use it, so it was sort of RPG-like in that manner. It's a really fun game.

The game starts out during the Yellow Turban Rebellion, you play Liu Bei with your badass buddies Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, Zhuge Liang I think was the main tactician or at the best when you get him. As you move on and fight new opposing generals and rulers they join your side and you can use them in battle as well, they're not nearly as good as your main buddies but it's a pretty cool idea, it's sort of like how they did the characters in Suikoden if you played that. There are tons of characters to collect and use. You basically just go around trying to fight the other leaders, main enemies are guys like Cao Cao and Cao Pi I think, also from the other kingdom.

Anyway it's really fun. Anyone who likes strategy games, RPG games, story games, Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, would love the game. Give it a try OP and whoever else likes those sorts of games!

SheepDog_sl

shitlord
I played most of these games mentioned and more. The first TMNT game was good. StarTropics was one of my absolute favorites.

Also honorable mention to Milon's Secret Castle. That game confused my poor young gamer brain so thoroughly.

Szlia

Mentioned in the remake thread by someone else: the whole serie ofAdventures of Lolo. I love action puzzle games!

xrg

Golden Squire
I only like the first Lolo game. The second and third started doing that thing where you have to manipulate spawn points. Kill a snail thing, put a block on it's spawn, then it respawns somewhere else. It made quite a few of the puzzles trial and error instead of using logic.

First one is my favorite puzzle game though.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
I think the game that made me rage the most was Air Fortress.

Mother fuckin' last level is impossible!!
The biggest Rager on the NES is hands down Ninja Gaiden 1/2/3 getting progressively worse with each selection in the series. After that its up for debate,

This turd swirling around in my nintendo punchbowl because it cost 50$ gets my vote.

rrr_img_3349.jpg

Did anyone actually figure out an alligator was killing them in the water before chucking the controller against the wall?

rrr_img_3349.jpg

rrr_img_3349.jpg

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I... actually remember the Zelda rap commercial from TV. Shoot me.

Anyway:

Dragon Warrior 1-4 (replayed 4 so damn much).
Legend of the White Lion
Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 (II was so hard, esp. the Hammer retrieval part)
Metroid
Final Fantasy (hated doing Kary/Marilith in the volcano)
StarTropics 1+2 (Psychic Shot in 2 was so OP you didn't use anything else ever)
MegaMan series (esp. 3+ -- 1 and 2 were not easy, but 3 had some improvements to it)
River City Ransom

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
River City Ransom mentioned multiple times and I agree a million times over, that game is mega awesome. Most of my NES gaming was done obviously at a young age and I played w/ my cousin basically every co-op game possible. RCR was easily one of the best out of those until the SNES came around.

xrg

Golden Squire
Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 (II was so hard, esp. the Hammer retrieval part)
The trick to that part is realizing you can attack slightly faster when ducking than you can standing. Those orange dudes with the axes are nearly impossible to hit without taking damage otherwise.Hereis a random walkthrough video where you can see someone doing it.

I'll stick to the less obvious ones.

Crystalis - Simply amazing game. DL an NES emulator just to play it.
rrr_img_3711.jpg

Faxanadu
rrr_img_3712.gif

The Magic of Scheherazade (as mentioned in games you may have missed thread)
rrr_img_3713.gif

Yo! Noid (yeah, the Dominos mascot)
rrr_img_3714.jpg

Little Nemo - The books are cool. It was the first anime I ever saw too.
rrr_img_3715.jpg

Gargoyle's Quest 2 - Demon's Crest
rrr_img_3716.gif

Duck Tales - Listen to the music!

Also:
Star Tropics - Great goddamn game. Too bad the sequel was meh.
Prince of Persia - I think everyone is familiar with subsequent installments.

rrr_img_3711.jpg

rrr_img_3712.gif

rrr_img_3713.gif

rrr_img_3714.jpg

rrr_img_3715.jpg

rrr_img_3716.gif

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The trick to that part is realizing you can attack slightly faster when ducking than you can standing. Those orange dudes with the axes are nearly impossible to hit without taking damage otherwise.Hereis a random walkthrough video where you can see someone doing it.
wasted the majority of my afternoon watching these videos. thanks!

xrg

Golden Squire
Anyone mention Clash at Demonhead? It's a bit clunky, but was fun in it's day for the amount of stuff you could do.

Silver Knight of the Realm
Guardian Legend was one of my favorite NES games and wasn't a very popular title. It was a top-down shooter for part of it, and then you would transform into a human and it would be a zelda-like RPG. It was awesome!

^Around 2:50 starts the human/rpg part.
Bro, I've always loved this game. One of the best 8-bit soundtracks ever and interesting to play.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Did anyone play Life force? It had the same cheat code as Contra.
Yeah. Loved games like this. You didn't want to own them but they were fun to play. NES had TONS and TONS of games in that catagory. Luckily we had a local place to rent games for a buck, back in the late 80s. We'd ride our bikes down there 3-4 miles away to get a different game or two every day or two during the Summer. So obviously video-games are good for you, and promote exercise.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
When I was 11 and before I had my own a friend and I played through Zelda by taking turns and were absolutely in awe when holy shit ANOTHER WORLD?

I probably played through Lifeforce 50 times. Contra and a few other NES staples as well. My favorites though were Bionic Commando and Mega Man 2. I could probably still get through those with minimal loss of life.

I was so excited for Dragon Warrior that I couldn't wait for Christmas and opened it early on the sly.

Dragon Warrior 2 was my favorite of the series for a long time, you missed out if you didn't play it after 1. A lot of the new stuff it added became the standard for series. The party archetypes, item names, dungeon style all was repeated from part 2. Even the way the bosses near the end suddenly had multiple turns each round.

Blaster Master I never finished the last world because holy fuck you. Knowing how to get through that shit either required massive trial and error (thus starting over) or a walkthrough.

My golden Zelda 2 had a big crack in it from repeated slammings into walls. I did finish that piece of shit though.

Most stuff I remember owning and playing often was already mentioned - Chrytalis, Mario 3 aka the Best There Ever Was, Double Dribble "300 point games", Baseball Stars (make rookies and level them to godhood), Castlevania 2 the quiet interlude between horseshit-hard games full of "jumping across a pit? SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER HERE'S SOMETHING TO KNOCK YOU INTO IT" etc.

Games I owned but didn't finish: Punch Out, Ninja Gaiden 1 (boss nearly impossible if you manage to make it to him but don't have the right weapon), Castlevania (fucking Death holy shit)

I'm pretty sure I'm a devout pirate now because as a kid I would rent games and that shit saved me from countless potential bad birthday and christmas gifts. And now the best you can hope for is a 1 level trial that crashes because they don't update it.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I played through almost every game in this thread. I think I only actually owned a few of them since I rented whatever I could every weekend.

When I was in 5th grade my next door neighbors were Japanese and had a "family computer" with Super Mario Bros, Dragon Quest, and Kung Fu Heroes. The few times I got to play it with them was like fucking heaven since I was still stuck playing my shitty Atari 2600. I'll never forget playing Super Mario Bros while they played the singing soundtrack on their record player and sang along with it. It was a little while longer before the NES became widely available and even longer before I got one for Christmas (along with Punch Out and Pro Wrestling, which is a Christmas present which could never possibly be topped).