Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Nintendo doesn't dictate price 3rd party games. Developers can sell for whatever they want.

No but Nintendo has an affect on them because of the carts, cart coating, and forcing digital versions to be same price as the physical version(which is kinda dictating).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Gonna bite on this because some of this I cannot believe you wrote. Is this the same
Darph?

Unified direction for Nintendo as a company. Merges the mobile and living room strategies and does both well.

Except they fucked it up and continue to do so. They released a new 2DS model and continue to develop (lots) of portable games on that platform for the foreseeable future. It's behind the times as a living room console by spades, and as a mobile platform for anything but indie games and iOS ports drains the battery in less than 3.2 hours. If you are lucky. It's bulky. The controller set up for AAA games is hard to use for anyone that isn't a midget, and if anything Nintendo execs have stock in icy hot.

Focuses on games, not gimmicks. It's fairly gimmick free for a Nintendo device

The first game was milking cows with a controller literally the size of my pinky, along with commercials of people at parties with joycons playing 4 player coop games on a 7 inch display on top of a coffee table. That was actually an advertised use case. Completely 100% implausible. The joycons are shit while slid into that controller base, forcing a Pro Controller purchase at an inflated price for docked use.

Cheaper to make than the Wii U ever could be so they'll be able to drop pricing to stay competitive in the market.

They will drop the price and take a loss when they realize false market demand and supply constraints caused more hype than the device itself. That is happening at this moment.

Mobile and Console IP...

Everyone loves those iOS ports selling for double the price of what they sell for on the phone. Shallow as shit iOS games belong on iOS. Not a Nintendo console.

Nintendo alone has a staggering amount of IP, much of it was held back from the Wii U.

Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash, Star Fox, and plenty more came out. In fact, most of the IP you are looking forward too will he quickly shat out Wii U ports. Up to and including Zelda BOTW. (Great game, played it on my Wii U)

With that said, Pokémon is already in IP fatigue. Smash will be a Wii U port not a new game.

Yes, they need to get a grip on playing with your friends online and they will.

No. They won't. They already fucked up online advancement they DID make with the Wii U by requiring a second device for basic functions such as lobbies and voice chat, along with friend codes. NOA fought this tooth and nail and lost to their Japanese overlords. Nintendo Japan is fucking backwards and aren't ever going to change their minds. You know as well as I do they will stick a dagger in their heart and have a samurai cut their head off before they admit they were wrong.

The switch was released with one thing in mind. A too far along in development piece of shit hardware that went through many iterations and was force fed into the market a year too early before they finished standards based features to save their tanking stock. Yes. Mario will sell switches. AAA support is already fading, and games will continue to be scarce until late next year.

Nintendo fucked up huge with backwards thinking and executives at NOJ that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground who simply CANNOT or WILL not move their cheese. It very well could be they are just inept at everything relating to moving said cheese and don't even have the talent to put voice chat and lobbies on a console instead of a second device. (Which works for shit anyway).

The only thing that can save this console now is a full VC launch included in the 24.99 a year subscription for full access to their backlog. And they won't even see that right in front of their fucking faces.

It's frustrating. Just such complete fucking ineptitude astounds me but now it's just gotten to the point that I believe they will never budge from their horseshit policies, and will continue to sell 20-25 million consoles a generation and launch their first party games. That's all it will be.

Until then, and right now, it's more a laughable neo geo machine than anything. It's fucking ridiculous how bad they botched this fucking thing.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
They have spent too much money on there "current" idea for Online too just dump it, they will force people too use it end of story, and it's gonna be there fucking downfall, and I'm gonna laugh my ass off, as Nintendo's stock is gonna take a shit dive, after the initial "AAA" games that were in development for it, (and I'll put money down, that all these "Switch" exclusive games are actually WiiU games just like BoTW.)

They have ZERO fucking clue, on what to do with Online access and it is fucking obvious, these are problems Sony, MS even the god damn WiiU have solutions for..

• 1Like

Darph

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Gonna bite on this because some of this I cannot believe you wrote. Is this the same
Darph?

Except they fucked it up and continue to do so. They released a new 2DS model and continue to develop (lots) of portable games on that platform for the foreseeable future. It's behind the times as a living room console by spades, and as a mobile platform for anything but indie games and iOS ports drains the battery in less than 3.2 hours. If you are lucky. It's bulky. The controller set up for AAA games is hard to use for anyone that isn't a midget, and if anything Nintendo execs have stock in icy hot.

The first game was milking cows with a controller literally the size of my pinky, along with commercials of people at parties with joycons playing 4 player coop games on a 7 inch display on top of a coffee table. That was actually an advertised use case. Completely 100% implausible. The joycons are shit while slid into that controller base, forcing a Pro Controller purchase at an inflated price for docked use.

They will drop the price and take a loss when they realize false market demand and supply constraints caused more hype than the device itself. That is happening at this moment.

Everyone loves those iOS ports selling for double the price of what they sell for on the phone. Shallow as shit iOS games belong on iOS. Not a Nintendo console.

Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash, Star Fox, and plenty more came out. In fact, most of the IP you are looking forward too will he quickly shat out Wii U ports. Up to and including Zelda BOTW. (Great game, played it on my Wii U)

With that said, Pokémon is already in IP fatigue. Smash will be a Wii U port not a new game.

No. They won't. They already fucked up online advancement they DID make with the Wii U by requiring a second device for basic functions such as lobbies and voice chat, along with friend codes. NOA fought this tooth and nail and lost to their Japanese overlords. Nintendo Japan is fucking backwards and aren't ever going to change their minds. You know as well as I do they will stick a dagger in their heart and have a samurai cut their head off before they admit they were wrong.

The switch was released with one thing in mind. A too far along in development piece of shit hardware that went through many iterations and was force fed into the market a year too early before they finished standards based features to save their tanking stock. Yes. Mario will sell switches. AAA support is already fading, and games will continue to be scarce until late next year.

Nintendo fucked up huge with backwards thinking and executives at NOJ that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground who simply CANNOT or WILL not move their cheese. It very well could be they are just inept at everything relating to moving said cheese and don't even have the talent to put voice chat and lobbies on a console instead of a second device. (Which works for shit anyway).

The only thing that can save this console now is a full VC launch included in the 24.99 a year subscription for full access to their backlog. And they won't even see that right in front of their fucking faces.

It's frustrating. Just such complete fucking ineptitude astounds me but now it's just gotten to the point that I believe they will never budge from their horseshit policies, and will continue to sell 20-25 million consoles a generation and launch their first party games. That's all it will be.

Until then, and right now, it's more a laughable neo geo machine than anything. It's fucking ridiculous how bad they botched this fucking thing.

When I look at the Switch, I see a shift in Nintendo's approach to product design.

The Wii U had everything: the ability to program your TV, support for every streaming service you can think of, wiimotes, 10 different controllers, web browser, it's own tablet, more Mii-ware than I'll ever use.. and VIDEO CHAT.

The Switch is a pragmatic product (for Nintendo) using mobility as it's guiding light.

Sure, they butchered voice coms, but they have the infrastructure, platforms and API in place and can write the apps easily enough. They'll need to get over the "App" service sooner rather than later tho.

Same Darph and I'm trying to be optimistic here, Ut!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Pokemon is in IP fatigue? Sun/Moon sold a metric fuck ton and still is every month.

On the sense it sold over 16 million to an install base over 100 million. That's a 16% attach. The only Pokémon title coming out is a horseshit port from the Wii U in the immediate future, and announcements for a new Pokémon are rumored to be sun and moon 3ds ports combined as "stars" and still not coming until 2019.

Nothing will sustain the switch after Mario. You are looking at a one year drought. Minimum.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The Switch is a pragmatic product (for Nintendo) using mobility as it's guiding light.

Here is the problem with your thinking. Nintendo said this is a home console. First and foremost beyond anything portable. This is how fucked up they are. They are completely falling down on both use cases currently while continuing to cannabilize their own "savior" with confusing the market and maintaining 2DS support. A horribly underpowered home console and a bulky power Hungry shitty controllers portable with poor battery life suffocating with ports, ports, and more ports for the foreseeable future.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
On the sense it sold over 16 million to an install base over 100 million. That's a 16% attach. The only Pokémon title coming out is a horseshit port from the Wii U in the immediate future, and announcements for a new Pokémon are rumored to be sun and moon 3ds ports combined as "stars" and still not coming until 2019.

Nothing will sustain the switch after Mario. You are looking at a one year drought. Minimum.

Sun/Moon are already getting the sequel treatment on 3DS. The Switch mainline game will be a new title.

Here is the problem with your thinking. Nintendo said this is a home console. First and foremost beyond anything portable. This is how fucked up they are. They are completely falling down on both use cases currently while continuing to cannabilize their own "savior" with confusing the market and maintaining 2DS support. A horribly underpowered home console and a bulky power Hungry shitty controllers portable with poor battery life suffocating with ports, ports, and more ports for the foreseeable future.

They took a survey a couple weeks ago and posted results - something like 83% of voters use the Switch exclusively at home.

There is no reason for them to kill off the 3DS line while it's still selling well. There's a few titles coming out that have been in dev for 1.5-2 years but all of their main portable studios next titles are on the Switch.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sun/Moon are already getting the sequel treatment on 3DS. The Switch mainline game will be a new title.

This is what I saw when digging for information.

It’s unclear whether or not the Switch Pokémon game is the long-rumored Pokémon Starssaid to be a port of the existing Pokémon Sun and Moon from the 3DS — or a new entry in the series. In any event, it will mark the first time in the history of the series that a “main” Pokémon RPG title is coming to a home console. (Given the Switch’s portable nature, however, that title may be up for debate.) Nintendo didn’t give any more information on the upcoming game

A proper Pokémon game is coming to the Nintendo Switch

There is no reason for them to kill off the 3DS line while it's still selling well. There's a few titles coming out that have been in dev for 1.5-2 years but all of their main portable studios next titles are on the Switch.

The only problem I have with your opinion here, which I have stated from the beginning of this launch, is you stated the exact opposite on Switch launch when you said Nintendo will be moving away from the 3DS line and wouldn't be continuing development on older technology. This is now proven false, further proves 1) Yes, they would be stupid to not continue support for the 3DS/2DS line for God only knows how long. 2) Are complete morons by wasting time and energy, logistics and design on classic edition consoles if they were serious about putting the Switch front and center with an ongoing revenue service stream to support ALL VC titles on the Switch to get people to move to that platform, with a REAL value add in a subscription based service to support demand for the Switch while they ramp up their game library in 2018-2019.

The answers are right in front of these idiots, and they CONTINUE to keep going down wrong business paths over and over again at the sake of their customer base (Including me) because of complete 100% ineptitude.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Where do you see that Nintendo and it's portable studios are still developing titles for the 3DS? Everything still coming out in 2017/18 have been in development for years. I'm sure some 3rd party Japanese devs will continue supporting it for years just like they did the PSP/DS because of install base, but not Nintendo. Releasing new models and colors is just a way to get easy money from collectors, or in the case of the New 2DS XL, to streamline their SKUs.

The next mainline titles for GameFreak, IntelligentSystems, Level 5, Atlus are all Switch games - that's their biggest 3DS developers that aren't in house. Capcom/Monster Hunter are testing out Western/PS4 market, but I don't see them giving up the Japanese mobile market either. Their in house dev studios are all on Switch development.

For all intents and purposes, they are moving on from the 3DS. Continuing to sell it when it's still selling millions every year is a no brainer - just like Sony kept selling the PS2 and they kept selling the Wii.

Also, it's a completely different team (NERD in Europe) who handles the Classic consoles. It's not conflicting with making more Switch'es or the OS/VC team in Japan working on their online infrastructure and Switch VC. The Classic consoles don't occupy the same production lines or use the same parts that the Switch does either.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also, it's a completely different team (NERD in Europe) who handles the Classic consoles. It's not conflicting with making more Switch'es or the OS/VC team in Japan working on their online infrastructure and Switch VC. The Classic consoles don't occupy the same production lines or use the same parts that the Switch does either.

You do not think that the NES classic and SNES Classic (What's next, the N64 classic? Then the Gamecube?) carries with it purposely delayed VC content to the Switch as to not hurt the sales and popularity of those units? Meanwhile, not saying a THING about it other than "it's coming at some point who knows when".

And the opportunity cost here is a face palm on Mario's new hat. It's stagnant release of VC for the switch has EVERYTHING to do with the classic console releases. Meanwhile, Switch's would be flying off store shelves had they supplied a subscription service on launch with a strong line up of the most popular of Nintendo first party games for SNES and NES with the first ever subscription revenue stream for Nintendo to add value to their online service which is already faltering with the addition of a second device off the console for features that have been around living on a console since 2001. (That's 16 years).

Their problem is they have no idea how much sense it makes to make concessions to value while making a boat load in predictable revenue streams from an online service, providing value at the same time, as a result increasing their market print 100 fold with more Switch penetration in households across the world, and gaining ACTUAL 3rd party support - ALL HAPPENING AT ONCE.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Atlus are all Switch games

I only have time to fact check one of your claims - but this is what Atlus announced Spring of 2017.

Atlus Announces New Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Shin Megami Tensei Games for 3DS - IGN

That's a new 3DS Title - A revamped DS title for 3DS, and a Shin game for the Switch which has yet to be given any specifics or even if a localized western version will be launched.

That entire article for Level 5 is completely obtuse and vague enough that for you to say that they are shifting towards Switch development is completely outlandish as it currently stands.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
I just don't get Nintendo why would they keep making 3DS XL's to sell, shouldn't they just be focused on the switch. Whatever, NIntendo gonna do whatever Nintendo wants to do

This is coming out next month:
mHrPteU.jpg

I'm happy there will be more 3DS games, as the owner of a jailbroken one I get every new game for free

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The thing is, the 3DS is at end of life regardless of what they decide with the switch. The hardware is so goddamned old that they NEED to transition to something. None of the "new 3ds" shit, they need a hard break to their next gen, whether that is the switch or some other portable system

• 1Solidarity

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I only have time to fact check one of your claims - but this is what Atlus announced Spring of 2017.

Atlus Announces New Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Shin Megami Tensei Games for 3DS - IGN

That's a new 3DS Title - A revamped DS title for 3DS, and a Shin game for the Switch which has yet to be given any specifics or even if a localized western version will be launched.

Atlus is 3rd party, and the new Etrian game has been in the works for awhile. Not to mention the entire Etrian franchise is built around the DS/3DS and dual screens and drawing dungeon maps - it can't work on the Switch or any other platform for that matter. They'd need to completely re-work it's core concept to make a new title for the Switch. Same for Radiant Historia remake and Persona Q series - they are too reliant on dual screens. Those releases are for Japan and I doubt we ever see them localized at this point. Japan focused 3rd parties will continue supporting 3DS just because it has a huge install base there compared to every other platform sans mobile phones.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just don't get Nintendo why would they keep making 3DS XL's to sell, shouldn't they just be focused on the switch. Whatever, NIntendo gonna do whatever Nintendo wants to do

This is coming out next month:
mHrPteU.jpg

I'm happy there will be more 3DS games, as the owner of a jailbroken one I get every new game for free
I must say this looks super dope lol.

Also how hard is it to jailbreak? I have an old Zelda Special Edition one. I remember trying to download one game and it said I needed a New 3DS so I just turned off my DS and never turned it back on. I think it Pokemon Blue actually.

spronk

FPS noob
Its not hard but you have to follow pretty autistic directions extremely carefully and literally. Don't do a system update either, its easier (only possible?) on older versions of the system firmware, but again you have to look carefully at what version you have and find those instructions in the guide
3DS Guide

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I must say this looks super dope lol.

Also how hard is it to jailbreak? I have an old Zelda Special Edition one. I remember trying to download one game and it said I needed a New 3DS so I just turned off my DS and never turned it back on. I think it Pokemon Blue actually.

It is incredibly easy, but make absolutely sure you have a back-up of the NAND.. and ya don't system update, turn off the "show game status too friends" feature in the friend list, and disable the spotpass garbage.

• 1Like