Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

spronk

FPS noob
if you never played fire emblem 3 houses its also a great RPG thats exclusive to switch, its basically a mix of harry potter and x-com (combat)

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
so right now want to buy a switch for a xmas present, but cant find an oled anywhere(duh). is it really that much of a downgrade to get a regular switch?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If it's going to be used in handheld mode much at all, yes it's a pretty big downgrade.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If it's going to be used in handheld mode much at all, yes it's a pretty big downgrade.
The upside is if someone doesn’t already have an oled switch they aren’t going to know it’s a downgrade. The only people that would realize it would be if they previously had the oled and had to go back for some reason.

spronk

FPS noob
if its TV only just buy a v2 switch, the oled is nice for having an oled screen, LAN port, 64gb internal game storage (over 32gb), but not a huge deal. the xmas switch deal is one that comes with Mario Kart 8 for $299 so thats a pretty nice little bonus since the game never drops below $40. the xmas switch isn't sold yet i think, should start selling next week

the oled switch isnt THAT hard to get, you usually get 5 mins or so every time it drops on amazon, best buy, etc. This monday it was up on best buy for hours but you needed total tech ($200) membership to buy but was also good to buy a ps5 and xbox. It was up last week on amazon treasure truck for a good hour, and on walmart for like 20 mins. gamestop gets stock in store every week but you have to buy a bundle of like $500.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DQ11 is great; just make sure you get the Definitive Edition(DQ11:S on Switch iirc).

Octopath was kinda meh tbh, the game structure is very repetitive. XC2 is good but it depends on what your tolerance for anime tropes are.

Xeno 2 is the next RPG I want to get into after I finish Pokemon Gen 4 Remake. I got maybe 6 hours into Xeno 2 already and I really don't "get" the game. Like I don't get the combat, the story doesn't interest me that much... Pyra is hot as hell, at least. So is that blue-haired villain chick. I also really like the music and the visuals, which feel like a PS2-era Xenogears that has been remastered. If that makes sense.

Any advice on how to get into Xeno 2 and stay into it enough to actually plow through the game?

will be used exclusively on tv.

The normal Switch is fine then, no difference aside from the 2x hard drive space.

The OLED looks waaaaaaaaay better handheld though. I couldn't go back to a regular Switch now. Before I played handheld when I had no choice and had to settle for that, now I play handheld sometimes even when I'm around the TV because it looks and sounds as good as my TV does. The OLED has also made me want to play Switch more, so I've found that I'm actively seeking out Switch versions of games instead of PS5 versions since I got it.

Which brings me to... I'd love a two-player version of Tetris to play with people. All the Switch seems to have for free is Tetris 99, and that won't work.

Tetris Effect is awesome, but I already have it on PS5. Should I get a second PS5 controller for two-player TE, or just buy the Switch version? I hate buying something I already have, especially digitally, and an extra PS5 controller will be useful in general when it gets more multiplayer games. However, getting TE on Switch would cost $20 less than a controller and I can just couch co-op with joy-cons, plus it'd be portable. I think just re-buying it on Switch is the right move but what do you guys think?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
if its TV only just buy a v2 switch, the oled is nice for having an oled screen, LAN port, 64gb internal game storage (over 32gb), but not a huge deal. the xmas switch deal is one that comes with Mario Kart 8 for $299 so thats a pretty nice little bonus since the game never drops below $40. the xmas switch isn't sold yet i think, should start selling next week

the oled switch isnt THAT hard to get, you usually get 5 mins or so every time it drops on amazon, best buy, etc. This monday it was up on best buy for hours but you needed total tech ($200) membership to buy but was also good to buy a ps5 and xbox. It was up last week on amazon treasure truck for a good hour, and on walmart for like 20 mins. gamestop gets stock in store every week but you have to buy a bundle of like $500.
thanks. i checked it yesterday and it was available. now not so. bleh

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Xeno 2 is the next RPG I want to get into after I finish Pokemon Gen 4 Remake. I got maybe 6 hours into Xeno 2 already and I really don't "get" the game. Like I don't get the combat, the story doesn't interest me that much... Pyra is hot as hell, at least. So is that blue-haired villain chick. I also really like the music and the visuals, which feel like a PS2-era Xenogears that has been remastered. If that makes sense.

Any advice on how to get into Xeno 2 and stay into it enough to actually plow through the game?

The normal Switch is fine then, no difference aside from the 2x hard drive space.

The OLED looks waaaaaaaaay better handheld though. I couldn't go back to a regular Switch now. Before I played handheld when I had no choice and had to settle for that, now I play handheld sometimes even when I'm around the TV because it looks and sounds as good as my TV does. The OLED has also made me want to play Switch more, so I've found that I'm actively seeking out Switch versions of games instead of PS5 versions since I got it.

Which brings me to... I'd love a two-player version of Tetris to play with people. All the Switch seems to have for free is Tetris 99, and that won't work.

Tetris Effect is awesome, but I already have it on PS5. Should I get a second PS5 controller for two-player TE, or just buy the Switch version? I hate buying something I already have, especially digitally, and an extra PS5 controller will be useful in general when it gets more multiplayer games. However, getting TE on Switch would cost $20 less than a controller and I can just couch co-op with joy-cons, plus it'd be portable. I think just re-buying it on Switch is the right move but what do you guys think?

Vorph already answered but yeah the video he linked is what I would watch; when the game first game out I didn't get the combat until stuff unlocked after chapter 3. There is a lot of stuff to watch but once it clicks it's pretty satisfying pulling off the combos.

It's been a while but I think the story picks up after chapter 4? I remember chapter 4 being a low point as it's basically a side story. I think by the end I enjoyed it quite a bit, but again it helps if you don't mind "shounen" anime tropes. Without spoilers there is a small tie in to the first Xenoblade game at the very end of this game; nothing major but it was pretty cool when I encountered it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Vorph already answered but yeah the video he linked is what I would watch; when the game first game out I didn't get the combat until stuff unlocked after chapter 3. There is a lot of stuff to watch but once it clicks it's pretty satisfying pulling off the combos.

It's been a while but I think the story picks up after chapter 4? I remember chapter 4 being a low point as it's basically a side story. I think by the end I enjoyed it quite a bit, but again it helps if you don't mind "shounen" anime tropes. Without spoilers there is a small tie in to the first Xenoblade game at the very end of this game; nothing major but it was pretty cool when I encountered it.

Personally I wish they'd tie in more with the original Xenogears, maybe even full-on remake it. I know Square owns the property and the original creators are with Monolith / scattered to the four winds which makes things difficult if not impossible. At best we can hope for a Xenogears remaster from Square that touches up the visuals.

I heard the Torna DLC of Xenoblade 2 is basically Xenogears Episode 4 if Xenogears had a DLC for it. (Xenogears was "Episode 5" of an otherwise-nonexistent series...if you don't know anything about this, look into it, it's super-interesting). Obviously the Xenosaga trilogy on PS2 was sorta a stand-in for Xenogears Episode 1 but with Square owning the rights they couldn't directly call it that. Hell, Xenoblade Chronicles X has some similarities with a hypothetical Xenogears Episode 2 (crash-landing on a new planet after a devastating war and starting from scratch).

Xenogears DNA is found all throughout the other "Xeno" named games from the same creator, but all I've really wanted since then was more Xenogears. It would have been incredible if Square remade Xenogears while also creating games for the other five "episodes" that never got their own games.

Anyway that's a lot of Xeno-rambling. Either way, if Xenoblade 2 could get me half as invested in it as Xenogears did, I know I'd have a blast with it. I also have Xenoblade X to get to and at least that one has giant mechs. However IIRC it doesn't have Yasunori Mitsuda music, while Xenoblade 2 does. Yasunori Mitsuda's distinctive sound is like half of the Xenogears-ness for me.

Oh, I remember something else that I didn't like about Xenoblade 2. The map was pretty bad and I kept getting lost in the overworld area early-on.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Personally I wish they'd tie in more with the original Xenogears, maybe even full-on remake it. I know Square owns the property and the original creators are with Monolith / scattered to the four winds which makes things difficult if not impossible. At best we can hope for a Xenogears remaster from Square that touches up the visuals.

I heard the Torna DLC of Xenoblade 2 is basically Xenogears Episode 4 if Xenogears had a DLC for it. (Xenogears was "Episode 5" of an otherwise-nonexistent series...if you don't know anything about this, look into it, it's super-interesting). Obviously the Xenosaga trilogy on PS2 was sorta a stand-in for Xenogears Episode 1 but with Square owning the rights they couldn't directly call it that. Hell, Xenoblade Chronicles X has some similarities with a hypothetical Xenogears Episode 2 (crash-landing on a new planet after a devastating war and starting from scratch).

Xenogears DNA is found all throughout the other "Xeno" named games from the same creator, but all I've really wanted since then was more Xenogears. It would have been incredible if Square remade Xenogears while also creating games for the other five "episodes" that never got their own games.

Anyway that's a lot of Xeno-rambling. Either way, if Xenoblade 2 could get me half as invested in it as Xenogears did, I know I'd have a blast with it. I also have Xenoblade X to get to and at least that one has giant mechs. However IIRC it doesn't have Yasunori Mitsuda music, while Xenoblade 2 does. Yasunori Mitsuda's distinctive sound is like half of the Xenogears-ness for me.

Oh, I remember something else that I didn't like about Xenoblade 2. The map was pretty bad and I kept getting lost in the overworld area early-on.

Yeah the map was pretty bad when I played, though I heard they patched some map QOL stuff in after launch? I haven't played since it came out.

I've had Torna forever but never got around to it. Though funny enough I have been debating a NG+ run of XC2 lately, maybe go through it again and do Torna.

Agree about the music; XC1&2 are some of my favorite game OSTs. XCX is done by Sawano who is known for epic anime tracks(Aldnoah Zero, Attack on Titan, think he is doing 86 atm). I enjoy it but the random rap lyrics kinda kill some of the tracks for me.

I missed the boat on Xenogears. One of those games I think about playing on emu from time to time but I doubt it holds up.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the map was pretty bad when I played, though I heard they patched some map QOL stuff in after launch? I haven't played since it came out.

I've had Torna forever but never got around to it. Though funny enough I have been debating a NG+ run of XC2 lately, maybe go through it again and do Torna.

Agree about the music; XC1&2 are some of my favorite game OSTs. XCX is done by Sawano who is known for epic anime tracks(Aldnoah Zero, Attack on Titan, think he is doing 86 atm). I enjoy it but the random rap lyrics kinda kill some of the tracks for me.

I missed the boat on Xenogears. One of those games I think about playing on emu from time to time but I doubt it holds up.

I think you can get Xenogears digitally on PS3 for like $10 but I could be completely wrong. Emulator might be better if it has any sort of visual enhancements. Personally I have it installed on my modded Playstation Classic along with a zillion other things from that golden late-90's era.

The visuals of Xenogears are ROUGH now because it's 3D rather than sharp-2D like Suikoden or pre-rendered 2D like FF7. It looks dated AF. However the story and music are so A+ bonkers incredible that they carry it. The music might be Mitsuda's best work ever, and in a world with Chrono Trigger/Cross that's a bold statement. The story is like reading an Arthur C. Clarke novel, and along with the music, is the main selling point. It gets into some pretty hardcore Nietzche / Old Testament type stuff. The actual combat/gameplay is fine, it's fun especially when it involves your mechs. Really the only issue is the visuals, which is why I so wish it would get a remaster.

I've found that the PS1/N64 era is the toughest to go back to on emulation because early 3D was so rudimentary. Vagrant Story is another great game I'd love to play again but it's so tough to go back to now with those proto era 3D visuals. A simple remaster / touch-up would make it incredible again.

Side note, I heard Yasunori Mitsuda also did the soundtrack for Shadow Hearts: Covenant (the second game in the trilogy). That's a trio of games I've been wanting to check out for about ten years now and I found the first two at a flea market for $10 each. Though again, PS2 isn't the easiest to go back to visually now either, unless you're talking stylized cartoonish graphics like Dragon Quest 8 which still look decent. I hear the third Shadow Hearts game is a step down and not really worth the trouble so I never went looking for that one.

At the end of the day, I wish A) I had less of a backlog from the past 15 years and B) That emulation or the game companies themselves had more of a focus on re-rendering old games into modern sharp-looking forms. They could print money by re-releasing things like Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Vagrant Story in sharpened-up modern resolution and I can't imagine it would be a huge undertaking if fans are able to touch up old games like Morrowind for free.

Rude

Potato del Grande

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Posted about this in the ancient Pokemon thread but it bears repeating: Just got the Gen 4 remake Brilliant Diamond. Hoping it's closer to Platinum than it is to Diamond in terms of QOL.

I was expecting visuals like Pokemon Sword and instead it's... basically the original Diamond with better resolution. The characters are superdeformed POP figures rather than the lifelike models they usually have had in all other modern Pokemon. While it looked good/normal in old 2D games, it looks ridiculous in a semi-3D setting. Alpha Sapphire didn't even do this. Completely jarring. Blech. I hate it. At first I thought it was only for the beginning and maybe you were playing as a young version of your character for a new intro or something. Nope, all the adults are also superdeformed POP figures.

Gonna go get Call of Duty and play that this weekend instead.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
My man, based on Pokemon but derps it right back by going for CoD. =D

GF and I exhausted the new Mario Party already. Better than the original for Switch but it's another game that feels so halfassed when there should/could be another half dozen boards easily.

Juvarisx

Florida
My man, based on Pokemon but derps it right back by going for CoD. =D

GF and I exhausted the new Mario Party already. Better than the original for Switch but it's another game that feels so halfassed when there should/could be another half dozen boards easily.

Its super fun online the problem is if you have two or more people locally you cant play random online games you have to user room codes so its pointless. They always do that shit and IDK why