Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There's a game out on the Switch that's on sale right now for $2 called Goblin Sword. A hack/slash collection platformer with some upgrades, relics, secrets and bosses. Surprisingly addictive.

Sale ends July 28th.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
About goddamn time.
bay3.png

And of course now I want to get the Trinity Masquerade edition instead....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

He loves it (not finished it 70 hours in). He says he didn't experience any of the technical issues some other reviews saw. Rates it as a review in progress, but after 70+ hours he says it is absolutely worth getting.

From other reviews they span from 8 - 9s with some mentioning technical things/issues, but not as severe as 2 was at launch.

88% so far with 33 reviews, all positive.

• 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Roughly 10 minutes until XB3 launch, already plenty of spoilers from emulated switches but the floodgates shall open.

spronk

FPS noob

i use those and they are great, no batteries inside so one less thing to charge. only downside is they are huge (good for people with man sized hands) and won't fit in a regular switch case, but hori makes custom case that holds them + switch and its <$20.

hori is also releasing a new version of the splits in a month or two that are a bit slimmer, maybe even close to regular joycon size

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
^recently bought hori pads and yeah, huge difference. Can't imagine using my Switch without them now.

Vorph

hori makes custom case that holds them + switch and its <$20.
Which case is that? The only one I've seen from Hori that fits the Split Pad Pro is their 'Cargo Pouch', but that one's around $25 (and doesn't look to be a particularly well designed product compared to Butterfox, iofeiwak, or other third party cases that are wide enough to hold the Switch with SPP attached).

And Split Pad Fit is only coming to Japan at the end of September. Haven't seen anything about if/when it will come west. PlayAsia is selling it, but they sold out of the preorders super fast. Personally I don't see the attraction; it's still bigger than joycons so you need a custom case, and if you have to deal with that then why not just use the current Split Pad Pro which is actually ergonomic and already has cases available?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i use those and they are great, no batteries inside so one less thing to charge. only downside is they are huge (good for people with man sized hands) and won't fit in a regular switch case, but hori makes custom case that holds them + switch and its <$20.

hori is also releasing a new version of the splits in a month or two that are a bit slimmer, maybe even close to regular joycon size
cool

besure to snag the one that says (extra 20% off at checkout)
91217a993cb1edef829eccc432210daf.png

i'm guessing you have to take these off to dock?

• 1Like

Vorph

i'm guessing you have to take these off to dock?
Negative. Just need extra space around it since they're so much wider than joycons. It actually makes it easier to put the Switch into the dock since you have to center it before you put it in instead of sometimes having to fumble around for the USB-C plug inside.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Negative. Just need extra space around it since they're so much wider than joycons. It actually makes it easier to put the Switch into the dock since you have to center it before you put it in instead of sometimes having to fumble around for the USB-C plug inside.
cool, my wife w/ girly hands finds the switch pretty unplayable to hold after like 1hr

spronk

FPS noob
Which case is that? The only one I've seen from Hori that fits the Split Pad Pro is their 'Cargo Pouch', but that one's around $25 (and doesn't look to be a particularly well designed product compared to Butterfox, iofeiwak, or other third party cases that are wide enough to hold the Switch with SPP attached).

And Split Pad Fit is only coming to Japan at the end of September. Haven't seen anything about if/when it will come west. PlayAsia is selling it, but they sold out of the preorders super fast. Personally I don't see the attraction; it's still bigger than joycons so you need a custom case, and if you have to deal with that then why not just use the current Split Pad Pro which is actually ergonomic and already has cases available?

this is the one i bought when it was on sale, it looks a bit gay but i'm sure there are other skin/color options by now. fits perfectly with pads+oled switch + bluetooth buds, i don't carry a power supply or power bank around so dunno if those fit too

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SWRYF5J

Vorph

Ah ok. I was hoping Hori finally started making a case themselves (besides the Cargo Pouch, which has poor reviews from people trying to use it with Split Pad Pro). It's really bizarre that they make the controllers but don't offer a single hard shell case that will fit them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

This is really cool, didn't know it existed. I usually play Switch OLED in awkward-controlling handheld mode so this could be a huge game changer.

^recently bought hori pads and yeah, huge difference. Can't imagine using my Switch without them now.

Two things:

A) Do these work with Switch OLED? Not sure if it's a different size from the normal Switch but I don't think so. Assuming it'd work fine?

B) It says they don't have "HD rumble" features...is this an issue? The Switch OLED has pretty strong rumble in handheld mode, which probably emanates from the joy-cons, so if these don't have any rumble, that's a big negative.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
This is really cool, didn't know it existed. I usually play Switch OLED in awkward-controlling handheld mode so this could be a huge game changer.

Two things:

A) Do these work with Switch OLED? Not sure if it's a different size from the normal Switch but I don't think so. Assuming it'd work fine?

B) It says they don't have "HD rumble" features...is this an issue? The Switch OLED has pretty strong rumble in handheld mode, which probably emanates from the joy-cons, so if these don't have any rumble, that's a big negative.

Yep they work on my OLED Switch.

Correct they don’t have rumble. I never cared about rumble as I mostly play RPG games but that’s me.

Vorph

No rumble, no gyro, and no NFC (for amiibos, but you'll never find any third party controller with that).

If you need rumble and gyro for some reason, check out the Binbok ones. They're much lower quality in every other area though.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Using on my oled switch on vacation right now and I don't miss rumble at all.

These things are a massive improvement in comfort while playing.

• 1Like

Vorph

Deciding to not give a shit about rumble makes it much easier to get used to the best controller for docked mode too. Lack of rumble is the only downside at all to the PowerA Fusion Pro (unlike the Xbox version, the Switch one is wireless... and unlike most third party controllers it can actually power the Switch on remotely).

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not seeing any of those pads with the warehouse discount on them (went all the way to checkout). I miss out already?

Vorph

Not seeing any of those pads with the warehouse discount on them (went all the way to checkout). I miss out already?
Still seeing one left in stock when I tried it just now.
horispp.png

Follow the link in the tweet above and make sure you're looking at used ones sold by Amazon Warehouse. Not sure what kind of shape "Used-Good" is in and if it's worth saving $16 over a new one though.