Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So a $299 nvidia shield tablet with shitty controllers and the dock? Will that include a power adapter?

EDIT if this is in anyway Andriod based, I will love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
=|

No dual screen action does not bode well for future Etrian Odyssey installments.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Upon further reflection, this is going to bomb. Those dinky side controllers are awful, I can get cramps on ps4 sized ones, those are going to suck.

Meanwhile, the battery life is going to be listed at eight hours but realistically with enough backlight to see will probably be 2-3, down to 1.5-2 in practice with standby and idle mixed in.

The heat of an ips panel that size on a tablet choking out on games is not going to be insignificant. I can only guess that's why there's a big emphasis on the kick stand, headrest mount etc. While charging it will probably be a volcano. Not to mention, if you use the touchscreen for any part of a game, it will be uncomfortably hot.

Besides that, the size of the full handheld (tablet plus mini controllers) makes it seem unwieldy to use as a mobile device for too long. The actual gameboys are small enough to keep close and have your hands together enough to comfortably support the device. I don't see that being the same for something that wide and heavy.

Additionally, we can all assume that even if they run android it will be closer to the amazon lockdown version and a closed ecosystem. I actually don't hold much hope it won't be a restrictive frustrating proprietary though.

So from a functional standpoint I would have a fourth tablet device that's hot to handle (granted this is a big form factor issue not just a Nintendo issue) with bad battery life (same), can't store books and movies on it and which can lose parts. Oh and you have to pay $60/game for content. Another device to carry. Why would I chose this over my nice win10 tablet that can run a fair amount of games and cost $300? Or my 3dsxl if I really wanted a Nintendo fix?

Their best shit has been basic ass hardware with good games, I don't understand why they keep trying shit that RCA already put on the shelf at Wal-Mart as a gimmick holiday buy for dumb relatives.

The real kicker is the only way this could conceivably be good is if it's over engineered to fuck which means it will be 500+ dollars. At 300ish it's going to suffer from the same problem every other 300 tablet suffers from, mediocre everything.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
=|

No dual screen action does not bode well for future Etrian Odyssey installments.
They can easily dial down the mapping. Realistically, the feature that makes the dual screen important isn't so much the actual dual screen, it's the touch screen which lets you draw the maps. If you had to press a button to swap to map screen, it wouldn't be that bad at all(slightly more annoying if you're trying to draw the map in advance based on what you see at that moment, but still not a huge deal). And even the touch screen could be replaced by decent enough tools, it is after all just a grid.

And in the end while I really like the whole drawing the map and stuff, it's not by any means the reason I like EO. Make the games automap and I will still play them, because what I like is the classes, combat, mechanics, music and sometimes story. And the genre in general. The mapping aspect is fairly secondary.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also apparently Nintendo said there won't be any more news until 2017, no specs, no 1st party games info. There might be 3rd party games info from their partners, not clear about that. Kind of a weird strategy to go into silent mode after the initial reveal for several months but eh, it's Nintendo, they do weird shit.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Yeeeah Im holding back on this one. Considering that I am still waiting for the Zelda for Wii U promised 2015 (as an exclusive) and have yet to see anything besides "its comming!".....

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I will stick with my Nvidia Sheild. It can do so much more than just play cartridges. Maybe this will too but I doubt it, I imagine they would have shown a small preview at least if it did other things.

Knock it off Nintendo. Put your games on other companies real consoles already.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
kXWjpPU.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What's the difference between NVIDIA Shield and Steam Link?

Same thing pretty much?

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think this looks pretty good. I use my PC to play games with super high quality graphics and get immersed in worlds and whatnot. I play my Nintendo consoles when I want to chill out comfortably and relax a bit. I doubt I would carry this thing outside my house, but I can absolutely see myself moving it around the house. For example, chill outside on the balcony with a beer when the weather is nice, or seamlessly move from the living room TV to my bed when I want to play at night before going to sleep (or someone kicks me off the nice TV). I actually found myself using the Wii U's portability in that way a lot more than I expected, and this seems like an evolution on that.

Color me excited. My main concern is going to be with their launch line up. They need to have several franchise games ready to go at launch.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
nvidia shield TV is way more powerful - does 4k streaming (link is 1080p only), works with ALL pc games like origin and uplay whereas link is steam only, supports native android games (HAHA), has surround sound, lets you attach USB drives so you can play them straight up on the TV (although all 2015+ TVs let you attach drives straight to the TV), etc.

nvidia shield tablet is completely seperate and a handheld, Nintendo Switch like device that lets you stream your PC to it, and also plays games etc on the tablet instead of your TV

both bombed pretty hard. i don't see why the switch won't either, while the nintendo diehards and techno-nerds who buy anything new (like me) will buy this , most kids nowadays are getting hand me down phones and tablets and I don't see any of them pining for this vs a PS4 Pro or Scorpio so they can play GTA and COD and Battlefield and Destiny with their friends

Its still a cool piece of engineering, basically copying the nvidia shield tablet but with nintendo touches. I agree with Palum though, I fear its going to be mediocre engineering so more on the China-tablet scale of things rather than Google Pixel or Apple

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't see that many people (at least in the United States) paying much more than that for a portable system with outdated technology.

It's not outdated technology, the components were custom developed by nVidia for this device - the SoC is using the Pascal architecture, same thing the new 1000 series of desktop cards use. They didn't just get some shit off the shelf like they did for the 3DS.

It would still be bad if it's not in the $300-350 range though.

both bombed pretty hard. i don't see why the switch won't either, while the nintendo diehards and techno-nerds who buy anything new (like me) will buy this , most kids nowadays are getting hand me down phones and tablets and I don't see any of them pining for this vs a PS4 Pro or Scorpio so they can play GTA and COD and Battlefield and Destiny with their friends

For once, it doesn't seem like they are marketing it towards kids/families this time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For once, it doesn't seem like they are marketing it towards kids/families this time.
It might be the case, but it's also possible that for the initial reveal, they're targetting their core audience, the gamers that like Nintendo stuff, and they'll have some casual/family oriented stuff later on.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's not outdated technology, the components were custom developed by nVidia for this device - the SoC is using the Pascal architecture, same thing the new 1000 series of desktop cards use. They didn't just get some shit off the shelf like they did for the 3DS.

It would still be bad if it's not in the $300-350 range though.

It's outdated when compared to the PS4 and X-box 1, which both came out almost 5 years ago now. So if it's weaker than two systems that are now 5 years old, which is an eternity in the computing field, it's outdated. For a portable it's not as bad, but it's still relatively outdated technology.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like the idea of it in theory but I think most/all the issues Palum Palum raised are going to be a problem. I still might buy one of they can hit $300 with all the accessories included other than the classic controller but it will depend entirely on what Atlus announces for it. Their games are all I own for my 3DS and other than the new Zelda I don't expect that to change.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It's outdated when compared to the PS4 and X-box 1, which both came out almost 5 years ago now. So if it's weaker than two systems that are now 5 years old, which is an eternity in the computing field, it's outdated. For a portable it's not as bad, but it's still relatively outdated technology.

3 years? Knew I was losing my mind but didn't think it was by that much.

• 1Like