Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Over 10 million units sold world wide, however, Nintendo isn't releasing US sales numbers.

The company isn’t breaking out where current U.S. sales of the Nintendo Switch stand. It previously said that through the end of October, it had sold more than 2.6 million Switch systems in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch Has Sold 10 Million Units to Date

From what I have seen, Europe sales are also very stagnant. So I would guess based on what we know that Japan accounts for about 60% of the entire global unit sales. Also, the Switch was in 3rd place over the sales period including black Friday behind Xbox and PS4, both of which count their two lines as one so, those numbers could skew)

Either way, in my hiatus I have one for Xenoblade. After I finish Xenoblade it will be donated. I am not impressed with this device in the slightest. I may pick one back up on sale when the new Metroid comes out in 2019.

• 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
The switch sold 1.5m units in Japan between launch (March) and Sept 2017, I doubt it sold another 4.5m in the following 2 months so ... face facts bro, the switch is super popular around the world. It probably sold ~3m in Japan, another 3.5m in USA (2.6m from March - Oct, another 900k in Nov/Dec), and the rest in Europe/Middle East/Asia/etc.
In Japan, The Nintendo Switch Sold More In Its First 6 Months Than The PS4 Did

Still, the PS4 reached 18.5m in sales in 13 months and the Wii U sold 20m in its first 12 months and the 3DS I believe was ~17m so the switch is doing great but nothing insane compared to history or competition. Even the shitty xbox one managed to ship to retailers 10m units in its first year, although thats not sell through.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
and the Wii U sold 20m in its first 12 months

The Wii U sold 13.52 million units lifetime. What are you talking about?

As far as Japan, the 1.5 million units were as of August 2017 in a supply constrained Japan. Supply eased up in the US in August/September, and there was never a supply issue in Europe after the 2nd week of launch. Units in Japan couldn't keep stock and sold out instantly even as of 2-3 weeks ago. That 1.5 million doesn't obviously reflect the amount of sales coming in for Mario and Xenoblade. The second being much more popular in Japan than here. As of this same date, Europe didn't even break 1.5 million yet. And they had copious amounts of supply.

A good question would be why aren't they releasing US numbers then? (Honest question)

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The PS4 outsold the Switch 2 to 1 in November which included Black Friday sales. With supply at an all time peak currently with Switch, that even to me is shocking news being Mario is launched and that includes Switch/Mario bundles.

Mizuho Securities: The PS4 came out top for hardware in November 2017 (USA)

Xbox came in around 10% lower than PS4 but both outsold the Switch by a large margin.

Nintendo typically sees large boosts in December - so it will be interesting. Thing is, even with the bad press surrounding Battlefront 2, the bundle with Star Wars is a good deal which will move a lot of Hardware regardless. (And unfortunately will also move a lot of Battlefront 2 copies)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Analysts all agree Nintendo is having a great first year on sales.

In what world do you compare year one sales to year four sales? The PS4 had a strong year one, and so has the Switch. Why are you comparing silly things?

tl;dr Utnayan is still a Sony shill.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They are pretty much the same in the first 9 months, although that included Thanksgiving and Christmas for PS4. The last 3 weeks + 1-2 weeks of January are usually big sales periods for consoles/video games, so we'll see. By March of 2018 Nintendo expects to have sold 16.7 million consoles - and probably shipped another 2 million in addition to that. Probably won't match the PS4's first year but still would be great sales.

Switch is selling less in the West than PS4 but more in Japan, which is making up the difference. I can easily see Nintendo selling 1 million in Japan alone the next 4 weeks, as they have promised more shipments for December than any other month for that region. Christmas is a very big consumer month in Japan. Not even sure Thanksgiving/Black Friday are things over there.

It's pretty certain that Switch will surpass Wii U lifetime sales before it's first year is over though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Other than the Wii, has Nintendo ever outsold the major consoles with multiplats? It's apples and oranges, and you buy them for completely different purposes.

Nintendo + PC is the best combo unless you're desperate to play snow Zelda and bloodborne

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Analysts all agree Nintendo is having a great first year on sales.

In what world do you compare year one sales to year four sales? The PS4 had a strong year one, and so has the Switch. Why are you comparing silly things?

tl;dr Utnayan is still a Sony shill.

I agree they are having a great year in sales. That's indisputable - however, great year for Nintendo and great years for Microsoft and Sony are completely different things. Comparing PS4 year 4 to year 1 Switch in the current state of the market most definitely isn't fair for Nintendo due to the sheer size of available library of games, agreed. However, it still amazes me that it's outselling all other major competition this far in when quite honestly, it should have humped over the cash cow cliff on a product life cycle by now. (I would be interested to see how many Pro's Vs Vanilla were sold in November)

I would also agree right now I am a Sony shill. They have, by far, the best exclusive game line up and library. Last gen I was a huge 360 fan. I have owned both Sony and MS consoles since 2001. With that said, Nintendo has a very strong IP line up for what has been launched so far in 2017, so I was really shocked to see Nintendo get decimated in November by a 2 to 1 ratio coming into the holiday season based on the amount of past sucess throughout the year. 2018 from a software line up doesn't look good for Nintendo currently. They need a definitive launch list for 2018 to hit the street sooner rather than later in my opinion.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Those numbers have been disputed (but not the order) by NPD officials, so we'll see next week for sure when they get released.

Wouldn't be that surprising though. Both PS4 and Xbox had huge discounts. Even if it comes in 3rd, selling 800k-1mil in November would be a good result.

PS4 has been a beast this year. More sales than it's first 3 years. I'd be more worried as Microsoft than Nintendo - the user bases at this point don't overlap that much.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I love the xeno but on my 65 inch 4k ks8000 games look really bad compared to ps4. Like I get it, it's not gonna look as good I'm over that, but... shouldn't it look better than this when I see emulation using hires packs for the games I'm paying 59.99 for?

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Some areas in Xeno 2 look rough, I'm pretty sure they are using a dynamic resolution thing for areas like Torigoth.

• 1Like

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ars Technica put together a nice article that places the Switch's sales numbers into the appropriate context. It's pretty staggering, especially considering this is without a full holiday season.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Some areas in Xeno 2 look rough, I'm pretty sure they are using a dynamic resolution thing for areas like Torigoth.

What does this mean?

I know it doesn't translate to "it's ok to look like shit."

Nintendo gets the pass on everything because they are remembered as the fathers of gaming and they're systems are the best blah blah, but that really isn't holding true anymore. I have a $300 system for 1 or 2 games (really just xeno)? honestly I should've just spent the hour setting up emulation on my high end pc and waiting for the rom.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It means it adjusts the resolution on the fly. Not defending it or anything, I do agree Switch is underpowered for what it is(yes I know it's handheld but still). Could easily see a Switch Pro hit 2019.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm getting a switch for my b day on Friday from the wife. I didn't specifically ask for one, but I had mild interest. I'm not looking for the AAA blockbusters, because I have a PS4 Pro for those. I'm hoping they continue the trend of the DS and release more old school style games, like that top down RPG square showed called Octopath Traveler, because now I no longer have to live with a shitty form factor that cramps my hands, and can play it on my TV. But for now, I'll be happy with Xeno and Mario Odyssey, and when my kids get them, I can play splatoon with them.