Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
If they hack the Eshop again I think it's over for what little 3rd party support they had. Shame too because with all the travel I've been doing this has been a great companion on the plane. Golf Story and Rocket League might be the best East Coast to West Coast hand held flight companions ever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
How many times has Nintendo died now, 4? 5?

Homebrew lives on how easy and risk free it is. It seems easy, I doubt it'll be risk free. Most people won't be willing to brick their Switch without some pretty sold proof that it is almost entirely risk free.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
How many times has Nintendo died now, 4? 5?

Homebrew lives on how easy and risk free it is. It seems easy, I doubt it'll be risk free. Most people won't be willing to brick their Switch without some pretty sold proof that it is almost entirely risk free.

They have gotten really good recently at keeping the base firmware pretty much untouched, even bricking a N3DS is not a big deal right now(unless you really screw it up and need a hardware flash)

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
They have gotten really good recently at keeping the base firmware pretty much untouched, even bricking a N3DS is not a big deal right now(unless you really screw it up and need a hardware flash)

The Wii U hack is probably one of the easiest ones ever devised. It was almost impossible to screw up and even if you did screw up a step you could just go back to the previous one without any risk to the system. I'm told the 3ds one is almost as painless but there is one step early on that can brick it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've fixed a couple botched 3ds hacks, older 3DS and a 2DS honestly hardest part is just tearing the damn thing apart to get at the damn chip.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Grats where it is deserved. I have this console as you know for Xenoblade 2. I stand by the opinion it is a piece of shit console from design to services as I am playing it as we speak and I am 3 chapters away from completing X2 and it will be donated. And that hasn't changed one bit. I am curious to see what will happen in 2018 because...

Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi

They better have some announcements soon for what's coming this year. Nintendo blew their load the first year (Which is what I think they should have done) but sold an unfinished console to the masses a full 2 generations behind in services that should be on it. Flimsy build design aside, and highly over priced accessories aside, that could be forgiven for a better online service model. That needs to be their staple for 2018 - and that service model needs to include access to a backlog of NES/SNES games over time.

If they don't improve the service model, as far as I see it, that's about 3.8 million Switches collecting dust in 2018 in the US around February when they are done with Mario and Zelda. And a million hardcores catchingup on the NeoGeo games they missed.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Grats where it is deserved. I have this console as you know for Xenoblade 2. I stand by the opinion it is a piece of shit console from design to services as I am playing it as we speak and I am 3 chapters away from completing X2 and it will be donated. And that hasn't changed one bit. I am curious to see what will happen in 2018 because...

They better have some announcements soon for what's coming this year. Nintendo blew their load the first year (Which is what I think they should have done) but sold an unfinished console to the masses a full 2 generations behind in services that should be on it. Flimsy build design aside, and highly over priced accessories aside, that could be forgiven for a better online service model. That needs to be their staple for 2018 - and that service model needs to include access to a backlog of NES/SNES games over time.

If they don't improve the service model, as far as I see it, that's about 3.8 million Switches collecting dust in 2018 in the US around February when they are done with Mario and Zelda.
I agree with you on most of this, just wanted to poke some fun at your predictions of a massive flop. Their online (or lack thereof) is pretty inexcusable. No VC is a massive failure.

The hardware is fine with me, the joycons are as good as you are going to get for handheld mode and acceptable but certainly not great on their own, but they do allow for hand independent motion controls similar to Wii. The pro controller is there for big screen play. The price needs to drop about $10 across the board for controllers, and about $40-$50 for the dock.

I thought their 2017 library was fantastic personally, especially considering it’s the launch year. It won’t surprise me that there are more good games coming in 2018 that we don’t know about yet, but if not then yeah it’s going to be a slow year

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
We didn't know most of the Switch 2017 lineup until the January direct either.

They should be announcing a big Direct any day now, the rumor is it's scheduled for January 11.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you on most of this, just wanted to poke some fun at your predictions of a massive flop. Their online (or lack thereof) is pretty inexcusable. No VC is a massive failure.

The hardware is fine with me, the joycons are as good as you are going to get for handheld mode and acceptable but certainly not great on their own, but they do allow for hand independent motion controls similar to Wii. The pro controller is there for big screen play. The price needs to drop about $10 across the board for controllers, and about $40-$50 for the dock.

I thought their 2017 library was fantastic personally, especially considering it’s the launch year. It won’t surprise me that there are more good games coming in 2018 that we don’t know about yet, but if not then yeah it’s going to be a slow year

Yeah I agree with you completely on the 2017 launch line up, especially with Mario and Xenoblade 2. The Pro Controller is good, but not $69 good. The dock itself is laughable. The online service we agree on. The joycon's in hand held are hard for larger hands to control. The Pro controller is pretty much needed for home console play because the controller attachment thing that the joycons attach to is ridiculously bad design.

With that said, I can see the draw for people that travel and want to take their AAA games with them and it would be a better experience than the 3DS, and also an ability to plug and play immediately from portable to docked without even having to restart the device. Just throw it in sleep mode, throw it in the dock, fire it up, and go back into the game and have zero load time. It's snappy so that is a plus and it does that well.

spronk

FPS noob
We didn't know most of the Switch 2017 lineup until the January direct either.
They should be announcing a big Direct any day now, the rumor is it's scheduled for January 11.

Amazon listed "switch title 1-18" for a few days which people think means 18 new games will be announced at the January 11th direct, some of the rumors include

- Bravely Default / Second switch port
- Links Awakening DX for both 3ds and switch
- A Link Between Worlds for switch
- GTA 5 (!) switch port
- Advance Wars Switch
- Hello Kitty Kruisers

If the ONLY gaming console I owned was a switch i'd be sad but as a secondary console for pretty much first party exclusive SP games its fine. I could see them releasing a clamshell switch with hard attached joycons for kids, I wouldn't trust a boy 6-15 year olds with a switch, way too delicate for most boys

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The joycon's in hand held are hard for larger hands to control.

They are a little small, but I’m comparing it to other hand held controls. In that aspect, it is by far the best available.

The Pro Controller is good, but not $69 good.

When comparing MSRPs it’s really not that bad, $10 more than the DS4 but like 10x the battery life. The problem is that you can frequently get deals for ~$35 for the DS4, and the best you can really get for the pro is around $60.

With that said, I can see the draw for people that travel and want to take their AAA games with them and it would be a better experience than the 3DS, and also an ability to plug and play immediately from portable to docked without even having to restart the device. Just throw it in sleep mode, throw it in the dock, fire it up, and go back into the game and have zero load time. It's snappy so that is a plus and it does that well.

Honestly that’s my main draw, but not necessarily for travel. Can sit on the couch and play while kids watch a kids show or in bed.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I could see them releasing a clamshell switch with hard attached joycons for kids, I wouldn't trust a boy 6-15 year olds with a switch, way too delicate for most boys
It would make a lot of sense for them to do that as well as release a “console” version that is just a box with no screen or battery or anything like that

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I find the Switch pro controller to be the best controller on the market right now. It feels great and it has a ton of battery life.

my hierarchy for controllers is:

Switch pro > Xbox one > DS4 > Xbox 360 > DS3

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Amazon listed "switch title 1-18" for a few days which people think means 18 new games will be announced at the January 11th direct, some of the rumors include

- Bravely Default / Second switch port
- Links Awakening DX for both 3ds and switch
- A Link Between Worlds for switch
- GTA 5 (!) switch port
- Advance Wars Switch
- Hello Kitty Kruisers

If the ONLY gaming console I owned was a switch i'd be sad but as a secondary console for pretty much first party exclusive SP games its fine. I could see them releasing a clamshell switch with hard attached joycons for kids, I wouldn't trust a boy 6-15 year olds with a switch, way too delicate for most boys
I am ok with these. I hate playing on the DS so the ports of those games are welcome.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
2018 is a great year for secondary franchises. It's the perfect time to add games from the series' that don't get as much representation. I'm pretty sure we'll see some form of Metroid in 2018, even if it's not the new prime. I think we'll likely see a new Animal Crossing game, because it sells gangbusters every time and it's been ages since the last one. We might see a new StarFox and we might see a side Mario title.

A new Smash or Smash 4.5 will probably be announced at E3 I think, but maybe in the January direct. Smash is a great announcement because they can announce fighters all year long.