Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I was just left wondering...

How the other ?? remaining clones cope with (as far as they know) their only link to humanity getting blown up. What a bummer. The chick probably would have swan dived off their totally cool Jetson's apartment with the sky-pool that I totally want.

But I suppose that's what Jaime Lannister was up to at the end, as payment of sorts - going around letting the clones know what really happened. And that's how he came across 52, who unlike the others knew his wife was alive and was searching for her.

If 52 had just wandered into the cabin on his own I'd have probably broken something.

And the only real plot hole that bugs me..
The original invasion was thousands of Jack clones - they couldn't have been given the same 'programming' or they wouldn't have gone along with it. So why the deception with the clean up crew? We can only assume it was to make them "an effective team." The invasion clones must have had some sort of limitations that was overcome by allowing the clones to be more human / have more memories. There could have been a scene explaining such - maybe they were only useful as shock troops and died off quickly. Perhaps without memories they weren't able to care for themselves and simply starved to death. Easily explained, should have been in the movie.

I also kept pretending this was all the aftermath of the Reaper war, because his weapon is totally the rifle from Mass Effect.

Fyro

Golden Squire
For a matinee it fun and well worth the 10 dollars spent for my wife and I.

Some issues with plot and a few what happened there moments, but overall I was happy. Much better than the average shit. Go spend 10 bucks so future sci-fi movies profit. Don't be a cunt and pirate it. Some movies deserve your actual money and this is one of them, although yes, it could have been much better.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Some movies deserve your actual money and this is one of them
I don't know, I just could not get into it at all. Plot wise nothing really happens outside of their little twists, which if you have seen enough movies were a little obvious.
The aliens being humans, the clone reveal when he crests the hill, the woman getting shot... it just got to be bit eye roll
It just felt like I was watching some spliced together collage of ideas from other Sci Fi films but executed poorly. Even the little dog fight with the drones had me thinking about Will Smith's run from the alien fighter in the canyon in Independence Day and how much better that was in comparison.

Maybe I have just watched too many movies
frown.png

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
I had a lot of Independence Day vibes from this movie too. It's as if Independence Day and The Matrix had a baby. A Scientology baby.

I liked it.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I was entertained, I only felt there was one immersion breaking plothole (besides my unadulterated manlove for Tom Cruise)
When he goes into the radiation zone, and sees 52, 52's ship should have visual of their fight (felt like the triangle choke was awesome). Thus, 52's redhead should realize it's the wrong fucking Tom Cruise coming home.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I was entertained, I only felt there was one immersion breaking plothole (besides my unadulterated manlove for Tom Cruise)
When he goes into the radiation zone, and sees 52, 52's ship should have visual of their fight (felt like the triangle choke was awesome). Thus, 52's redhead should realize it's the wrong fucking Tom Cruise coming home.
I was thinking the same thing, but they sorta covered that by having her not at her desk. Notice when Cruise returns, she is not up there monitoring the flight/mission.... perhaps their team was less effective that way, or they had less issues so she could go enjoy a cup of tea
smile.png

BUT... on the same note his flight suit has the number 49 on it while the cruise in the radiation zone had '52' on his suit.. on the right upper breast plate. I was SURE that she would notice that when 49 came home to 52's... but she didn't. Not really a plot hole, she was just not observant.

But overall, i really enjoyed this movie, got alot more out of it then i thought i would, i was expecting some alien popcorn fighting flick and that's not at all what it was, so i actually enjoyed that!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
he was great in collateral, better than his mi(insert number) movies, would like to hear the opinion of some trained person after watching this video of cruise in collateral.
Cool video. That alleyway quick draw in Collateral is one of my all time "OH SHIT" moments in the movies.

People who know Tom say he is just the most intense, driven person on the planet. He can't hardly have a normal conversation with a human being but give him something to do and turn him lose and he can't be stopped.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
<3 Collateral. Michael Mann wants his firefights to look brutal and real and Cruise sure as hell delivered. Wish they'd have come up with a better ending though. Like Cruise saying "come on, really?" and casually double tapping Foxx and the lawyer in the head, then strolling off screen while whistling some Miles Davis.

The action star of Oblivion though were the drones. They fucked some shit up.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Neat movie. Not a blockbuster, but good premise, good love story. Matinee or rent it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Solid Flick Worth the price of admission but not the blueray. Very cool Visuals. If you like the genre you should see it in the theater to support more scifi movies. Would have been better if it was 20 min shorter. IMO in the end less would have been more.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Yeah they could have trimmed it down. I used to not understand ppl saying a good movie was too long, and this was a good (above average) movie, but it could have been trimmed down and made a lot better by getting rid of sole of the fluff. I still feel embarrassed for the chase scene that had the close ups of Tom cruise doing his Rambo face while shooting the drones. Btw, his little escape house was a similar scene to Knihht and Day with Cameron diaz

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw the movie tonight - walked away with a desperate desire to patch the plot holes. I'm willing to do the scriptwriter's work for them and make up explanations for some things, but a few parts of this just seem odd to me-

(1) Why is it that the aliens use mind-wiped human drone clone things to do the work, while keeping them in this big perpetual lie about what is going on? My best excuse was that: Obviously, since the aliens are doing this, it is (easier/less-expensive/quicker/more effective) to clone humans to do this drone repair work than it is to make their own robot clones to do the work. Despite all that, how on earth did this whole thing happen in the first place? Does anyone have a better explanation than that? I tried to think of one, but that is the only "logical" one that seemed to fit.

(2) Why do the survivors on earth pretend to be aliens? I got the heads-up from Morgan Freeman with the whole "these masks/vocal doohads confuse the drones" bit, but why would they keep the act up when they're actually facing the human repair workers? Again, my best explanation is that this obviously seems to be the best way to deal with it, because they've tried coming out as humans to all the previous Tom Cruises they encountered, but that didn't go well for them. Like before, a tad bit of back story here would make it seem like an odd thing instead of a giant plot-hole.

(3) So, magically, these survivors know to send out a beacon that will bring home the escape pod from the original mission? Morgan said it had been like, 50 years or so, which means that it took the escape pod this darn long to get back to earth, but if so, how did these guys know when it was coming? My best explanation is that, given that all the Tom Cruises are replaced/have their memory wiped every 5 years, the survivors hook up a beacon signal every few years, and this was the first time that this Tom Cruise saw it, but it has been happening every 5 years for the past 50. Maybe it was never actually intended to land ON EARTH, (especially given how broken up it was when it landed), and the technology that sent all these people out towards the Tet/Saturn was expecting them to dock at some international space-station type thing that is no longer there due to the war.

None of that is earth-shattering... I mean, it is POSSIBLE, but I really don't like stretching that much for the filmmakers, especially given how many "here is a dialogue scene between characters to explain the history of crap" scenes there were, that they couldn't have tossed a few sentences in about these things?

Szlia

The main problem is that you need the starting situation to have a story to tell and the writer just hopes that by the end of the story you don't ponder about the start of it and realize it makes absolutely no sense.

I mean they used an army of brainwashed Tom Cruise to conquer the earth, but suddenly they have to put together the most elaborate of long con to have these clones repair the drones? And more importantly.... how did he know how the Superball played out???????!!???

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, #3...

They didn't send the signal 50 years ago. They sent it just then, because they wanted its core to build their nuke to go on the drone they had captured. At that point they still didn't have a way of actually reprogramming the thing, though.

I figure "why clones that think they are human" was simple efficiency. Machines break down, need repair, need spare parts etc. The tet did not have unlimited resources to shit out robot armies like the Star Forge.

And he likely made up the story about the Super Bowl. His real self didn't see it and the clone self thought his memory was erased.

Desidero

N00b
I'm usually pretty good about turning my brain off for sci-fi/action movies, but for some reason the part where Tom flies into a thunderstorm and dodges the lightning bolt by taking a hard right when he sees it coming bugged the shit out of me.

The movie was entertaining enough, but nothing special. Worth a rental if nothing else.

Saw this Saturday night. Say what you will about Tom and his real life (he's fucking nuts), but he makes good movies. This one was no different. Well, not great, but I didn't want that time of my life back. I enjoyed the dystopian future, despite all the plot holes, and seeing how badass Jaime Lannister can be with a big-ass sniper rifle was cool too.

I'd agree with the 'matinee or rental' comment. Worth seeing at least.

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
I had fun watching it, but I kept hearing (Mo from WALL-E's voice), "Foreign Contaminant!" every time a drone made a sound.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed this movie and was glad I saw it. Most of my thoughts have been already voiced by others, but a couple of things quick.

First, the person that designed those drones deserves a bonus, because they were awesome. The noises, the "facial expressions", everything about them made seem ominous and well...sort of grumpy even. I loved the drones.

Second, was I the only one bothered by the fact that the Tet (taking your word for it that is how it is spelled) couldn't communicate when behind the planet? Even if all the satellites are destroyed, a bunch of drones could have been set in position around the planet to relay signals or something. I mean come on people, that's some basic astro-communications shit right there! I wanted an explanation for why that had to be that way, even if it was on purpose to give the "effective teams" some feeling of privacy.