Pacific Rim

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I wasn't listening for Glados and I didn't hear Glados at any point. Considering how obvious Glados's voice is when I've heard it in the past, they must've tweaked it.

Was anyone else sort of off put that they chose a 30 something asian woman to play a girl that shouldn't have been more than 20?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The director did mention that they tweaked the Valve Glados filter so it wasn't as jarring/in your face Glados. He mentioned it was really distracting to people familiar with Portal, so maybe they tweaked the audio mix for release.
It is really distracting to me that apparently they tested it on a bunch of faggots.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
from what i remember GdT just said that he liked portal and he basically used his "i'm GdT, i want Glados in Pacific Rim", and it was merely a "nod". also, galactus the same size as omega supreme? i'll take that, his usual "fighting" or "just there" in the comics is that size, if he's just in space searching for food, or like he's got to fight some thanos sized threat. (basically he can hold herald in his hand) when he wants to eat, if he isn't famished, he'll be like wtf super large.

Caliane

Does this remind you of Gundam? If so, is it as good or better than? I love me some Gundam. Wing & Seed were the shit.
I'd say Gurrenn Lagann, or good ole Voltron. no politics or anything of Gundam. no drama of Evangelion.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was anyone else sort of off put that they chose a 30 something asian woman to play a girl that shouldn't have been more than 20?
As opposed to making a movie about giant aliens coming through a rift in the Pacific Ocean and the weapons we build to fight them are giant robots that must be piloted by 2 people? No, the 30 something Asian playing a younger girl didn't make me bat an eyelash.

Movie gave you exactly what you expected, so if you were really pumped by the idea of the movie, I'm sure you liked it. The action was pretty good if extremely over the top most of the time. I'm not sad I saw it, I just still think the idea of the film is silly.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sad, this movie sucked. I expected shitty acting, no attempt at a story, dubstep, and robots punching dinosaurs. What I got was shitty acting, terrible attempt at a story, bland boring music that didn't really fit, and not enough robots punching dinosaurs.

All the background/character side plots/pretty much everything story related except "we're getting attacked by dinosaurs" was a total boring waste of time. The music was way off IMO. It tried way to hard to be dramatic and have build ups and shit...come on bros it's a movie about robots punching dinosaurs.

Fail.

Edit: I did enjoy the fight scenes, it was fun to watch, but I think there was only about 15 minutes of it. It just didn't make up for the rest
frown.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah cause that is what would have made it bad. I understand everyone hates dubstep, but I can't think of any movie it would actually fit except in these fight scenes. The overly dramatic orchestra wanabe shit and stupid one-liner voice overs during the fights were terrible. "Let's do this!" "Hold on Maki!" "Follow my lead!" gay.

Caliane

If it's like Gurren Lagann, I'm in.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM? THIS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!
well, it doesn't get bigger and bigger or anything.

but its pretty much all about fun, and rule of cool.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Got liquored up with some friends last night and went to go see this thinking it would be the perfect "turn off your brain and get drunk" movie. This movie was shit. First hour and 15 minutes there was maybe 3 minutes of robots vs. godzilla. Meanwhile we have to endure the terrible dialogue and bad acting. I know it was supposed to be kinda campy/cheesy, but damn was it boring and bad while they were building up the story. Remaining movie had about 15 or 20 minutes of fighting shit which was cool, but after a couple minutes became kinda meh, and overall was nothing real special. There were actually 2 groups of people who got up just walked out midway through. I wouldn't spend money on this.

The closest movie comparison i can think of is Reign of Fire, where you go in thinking it's gonna be a bunch of fighting with dragons, only for it to be 90% not fighting dragons. This you go in thinking it'll be a bunch of robots vs. monsters for it to be 90% other than robots vs. monsters. Difference is Reign of Fire was at least pretty decent with the "other" shit.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Confirmed humanity enjoys a well thought out complaint more than enjoying a fucking action movie with giant monsters fighting giant robots. Snore

supertouch_sl

shitlord
del toro seems to be quite prolific, but he's only made a couple of good movies. i wanted to like pacific rim but it felt like a michael bay knockoff all the way through.

khalid

Unelected Mod
but it felt like a michael bay knockoff all the way through.
Just fuck you for thinking that a giant robot movie with explosions is a michael bay "ripoff". Michael Bay hasn't done anything original enough to rip off. There is nothing from Michael Bay to "rip off" other than him completely fucking over franchises. Michael Bay didn't patent explosions or robots.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I HAVE THE BIGGEST ROBOT BONER RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, see this movie. There is a WWF-style elbow drop on a godzilla monster, what else do you need to know?