Pacific Rim

Column_sl

shitlord
Charlie Day is pretty much the barometer on a shitty movie.

Seriously, has that fucking idiot done anything good outside of Philly??

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
as far ass i can tell, all his movies are dogshit

Film[edit]
Year Title Role Notes
2001 Late Summer Trevor Short film
Campfire Stories Joe Boner
2002 Bad Company Stoner Uncredited
2005 Love Thy Neighbor Video Clerk
2008 A Quiet Little Marriage Adam
2010 Going the Distance Dan
2011 Horrible Bosses Dale Arbus
2013 Monsters University Art Voice
Pacific Rim Newt Geiszler
2014 The Lego Movie 1980-something Space Guy Voice
Post-production
2014 Horrible Bosses 2 Dale Arbus Pre-production

Oldbased

> Than U
woah....that wiki is great. And it helps to make the movie look much worse.

i mean, i read the wiki....and everything makes much more sense. The alien strategy, how the arriving of category 3 and 4 changed everything (multiple times a single category 4 was able to destroy 2 jaeger), how we were basically killing ourself using nuclear weapons against the kaiju etc etc...everything looks much more coherent and don't give you the idea they created the story out of a 15 mins meeting

the movie spent fucktons of times on boring characters and conversations instead of showing us the "lore"

just remove those 2 fucking scientists and the black market guy and you have 20/30 more minutes to actually show us something interesting

fuck hollywood and the need of comic reliefs in every damn movie
Ya the wiki explains so much more, like I watched the movie about 7 times( only twice seriously I play it as filler noise when gaming on Vudu ) and never knew Stacker had cancer, I always thought it was from drifting or something and brain damage he was suffering. He had cancer cause the Jaeger he piloted had no radiation shielding. The other pilot of the Jaeger he was seen in the flashback died of cancer as well.
The Wiki also lists 25 Jaegers with hints there was many more. What did we see in action in the movie? like 6 or 7?

I mean I liked the movie. Giant robots and shit, but after I read the backstory on the Wiki on so many things, I was more disappointed in the movie. They had the material to be awesome instead of the way some of the story arcs went.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure they specifically spelled out that he had cancer due to radiation in the movie, and that if he went out even one more time he was as good as dead. I didn't read that wiki, and I already knew that.

Oldbased

> Than U
They mentioned both but I don't recall saying he piloted one of the early mark 1s with no shielding in place. To add to the confusion they also talk about neuro overload with the guys nose bleeding in black and white.
I'll be honest though and just say maybe I missed where they said he had cancer and not the overload shit cause I really never watched PR for the awesome dialogue once the dude says don't get cocky kid in like the first 5 mins
smile.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Bro, Grimmlokk already explained how truly deep this movie really is, you should trust him!

Seriously though, my jimmies are still a bit rustled that GLADOS was so muted during most of it.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Ya the wiki explains so much more, like I watched the movie about 7 times( only twice seriously I play it as filler noise when gaming on Vudu ) and never knew Stacker had cancer, I always thought it was from drifting or something and brain damage he was suffering. He had cancer cause the Jaeger he piloted had no radiation shielding. The other pilot of the Jaeger he was seen in the flashback died of cancer as well.
The Wiki also lists 25 Jaegers with hints there was many more. What did we see in action in the movie? like 6 or 7?

I mean I liked the movie. Giant robots and shit, but after I read the backstory on the Wiki on so many things, I was more disappointed in the movie. They had the material to be awesome instead of the way some of the story arcs went.
when they arrive at the hong kong hangar bay they did mention that at one point they had 30 jaeger. But never specified what cause the downfall. When i first watched the movie i thought that the introduction was done well, but after reading the wiki i see how much information they left out. They never specified how the new category 3 and 4 changed the tide of the war. You imagine it, yes, but everything is left very vague, specially after seeing how easely Striker Eureka killed the cat-4 that destroyed the Kaiju Wall (which make you wonder why they stoped the Jaeger program if the Mark-5 are so damn effective)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They canned the Jaeger program because while effective, it wasn't efficient. Striker eureka cost like $100 billion just to make. Not counting refilling armaments, refueling and repairs. I assume they decided on the kaiju wall before the cat 3's came about. And they specifically said stacker had cancer from piloting non shielded Jaeger's.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of the best Jaegers killed 2-3 Kaiju before being destroyed by Kaiju better designed to kill them. Maybe sustainable when they were 5-8 months apart in appearances, but with Kaiju coming progressively more and more often it's not even a matter of money so much as just the ability to manufacture the things fast enough to keep up.

fucker_sl

shitlord
maybe i did not write it right, but i know perfectly why they chose to close the jaeger program in the movie

the problem is they never expanded the background of the war to give it more sense. If you just watch the movie, it appears they could have perfectly continue the war building couple more Mark-5, considering how strong is Striker Eureka

in the graphic novel, the Kaiju that broke down the wall had destroyed 2 jaeger before reaching it

in the movie this part is not present, decreasing the sense of danger they rappresent

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you just watch the movie, it appears they could have perfectly continue the war building couple more Mark-5, considering how strong is Striker Eureka
Did you forget the part where the newer Kaiju had a defense for Striker Eureka and totally disabled it in seconds? And how there were 3 stronger Kaiju like the next day?

It's an escalating war of attrition, and the Kaiju manufacture faster.

Pretty sure the Kaiju destroying 2 Jaeger before the wall was in the novelization, not the graphic novel. Comic was all pre-movie stuff.

j00t

i seem to remember the movie mentioning that the kaiju wall-breaker destroyed 2 jaegers before the wall. i haven't seen it since it was in theatres, so maybe i'm confusing something i read with the movie, BUT... i could swear to you they mentioned it. it was almost a throw-away line but it was in there. i want to say a newscaster said it as it was being filmed breaking through the wall. or something like that.

fucker_sl

shitlord
cant believe this movie is still being dissected.
it gets dissected because there is a massive, coherent background behind the story presented in the movie, and there was massive potential for a great scifi franchise, but most of it was ruined with bad choices and waste of "cinematic resources" (IE. wasting 1/4 of the movie on the stupid scientists for example)

did i enjoy the movie ? of course i did, this is not Transformers and i'm glad Del Toro took the risk to create a movie like this. My only complain is it left me with a "that dish was good but it left me hungry for more" taste in my mouth

j00t

it gets dissected because there is a massive, coherent background behind the story presented in the movie, and there was massive potential for a great scifi franchise, but most of it was ruined with bad choices and waste of "cinematic resources" (IE. wasting 1/4 of the movie on the stupid scientists for example)

did i enjoy the movie ? of course i did, this is not Transformers and i'm glad Del Toro took the risk to create a movie like this. My only complain is it left me with a "that dish was good but it left me hungry for more" taste in my mouth
Replace but with and, and you have the goal of every story writer in existence

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
The problem with the movie was they had to spell everything out for us. There was no development in either story or characters, it was 100% eye candy. Every move in the story had to have the background explained to us.

I agree with the how it should have ended version. Why were they not usin swords the whole fucking time and just camping the hell out of the rift is beyond me. Devious population control, maybe.