Pacific Rim

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
It was worth the price of admission, and I loved every minute of the movie! Fight scenes kicked so much ass!

Xalara

Golden Squire
Shit was rad, but I missed the first minute or three while yelling at them to fix the GD screen. 3D was all fucked up.

Supposedly they started a script for a sequel a while ago, hope they get to make it. And like 20 more. I remember GDT said at one point he wanted it to be ongoing, like Godzilla.
Prospects of a sequel are looking dim. The movie cost $190 million but only pulled in $38 million at the box office to debut at #3. On the bright side, it pulled in $50 million internationally so hopefully the buzz will give it a strong second weekend. I just hope this doesn't become another Dredd like bomb because we need Hollywood to make more original movies, not movies based on already proven properties.

In other words, if you haven't seen it yet, go see it. Oh yeah, it's also a damn good movie.

Sulrn

Deuces
Shit was rad, but I missed the first minute or three while yelling at them to fix the GD screen. 3D was all fucked up.

Supposedly they started a script for a sequel a while ago, hope they get to make it. And like 20 more. I remember GDT said at one point he wanted it to be ongoing, like Godzilla.
The behind the scenes with the director was the only reason I went to see the film and the main reason I enjoyed it. Seeing it from his perspective and why made it worthwhile. It certainly wasn't the script or the acting. Ahaha.

My only real gripe was I think they were one fight short and left the pacing a bit off. Should have:

had a fight while the Gypsy Crew "got calibrated" and let the other crews shine before getting demolished by the tag team.

Cybsled

Ya, the Russians and Chinese mechs were barely in it. Would have been cool to see them wreck some shit instead of the small taste we got in the film.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
just saw this on IMAX 3d. Damn during the fight scenes I was constantly on the edge of my seat (something I never do) cuz those monsters was scurry. loved the movie they need to make more of these. now onto my complaints

wish they would have just chucked all the human crybaby drama. I honestly could not even tell the difference between the two white boys having a hissy fit with each other, they looked like fucking twins. Thank god for the australian accent, it was all I had to go on to let me know they weren't the same exact person.

what happened to the red robot was some major bullshit. I need at least 10+ more minutes of robot fighting action to develop a robot crush, so I can cry when my boo gets crushed. total cock block

the Russian robot defeat was so awesome, just utterly annihilated. Instead of wasting time on surfer bro's having bro probs, can we get some character development on the robots so that when they do get killed it crushes my little heart? What I mean is, show the Russian and Chinese robots kicking major monster ass, saving cities, being awesome robots that I would want to pilot, and then boom, acid to the face and time to drown. THAT is the kind of drama these movies need, not two blondes I can't tell apart having cliche masculinity issues.

That said, I really liked the main character (didn't have the aussie accent) and Mako (?). I surprisingly enjoyed their love story.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
just saw this on IMAX 3d. Damn during the fight scenes I was constantly on the edge of my seat (something I never do) cuz those monsters was scurry. loved the movie they need to make more of these. now onto my complaints

wish they would have just chucked all the human crybaby drama. I honestly could not even tell the difference between the two white boys having a hissy fit with each other, they looked like fucking twins. Thank god for the australian accent, it was all I had to go on to let me know they weren't the same exact person.

what happened to the red robot was some major bullshit. I need at least 10+ more minutes of robot fighting action to develop a robot crush, so I can cry when my boo gets crushed. total cock block

the Russian robot defeat was so awesome, just utterly annihilated. Instead of wasting time on surfer bro's having bro probs, can we get some character development on the robots so that when they do get killed it crushes my little heart? What I mean is, show the Russian and Chinese robots kicking major monster ass, saving cities, being awesome robots that I would want to pilot, and then boom, acid to the face and time to drown. THAT is the kind of drama these movies need, not two blondes I can't tell apart having cliche masculinity issues.

That said, I really liked the main character (didn't have the aussie accent) and Mako (?). I surprisingly enjoyed their love story.
it's odd because my complaints and praises are completely opposite lol. weird.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Go word-of-mouth this movie next week at workplaces and such. Having a goddamn Adam Sandler movie beat this at the Box Office makes me cry, the mouth breathing average consumers need to be prodded into action.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Go word-of-mouth this movie next week at workplaces and such. Having a goddamn Adam Sandler movie beat this at the Box Office makes me cry, the mouth breathing average consumers need to be prodded into action.
the majority of people around the world looked at the previews and said "holy fuck! this looks like warm ass!" and they were right. the fact that this movie tanked at the theaters is no surprise at all. all CGI + zero plot + bad acting=fail. the more these kinds of movies tank the better because then hollywood will actually take more risks to make quality movies with screen plays that take longer than five minutes to write.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Movie was awesome. If you go in expecting a monster VS Robot movie with minimal plot then you will be very happy. Heres to PR2

khalid

Unelected Mod
the fact that this movie tanked at the theaters is no surprise at all. all CGI + zero plot + bad acting=fail.
What you fail to see is that this movie isn't some regurgitated crap with CGI like Transformers with shitty blurred action. They put a lot of work into the CGI and monsters, the action feels real, weighted and grounded, it is an homage to the japanese monster movie and at that it is fucking great. It is also an original screenplay and it also took a risk.

If you want Hollywood to take more risks, you should want Pacific Rim to do well, not pray that it fails. If Pacific Rim fails but shit like Transformers XII break the bank, we will see Hollywood be even more reluctant to try new screenplays.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
pacific rim is geared towards niche market in America and the global audience.

i think it did pretty good. it will only get better from here i hope from the word of mouth.

Juvarisx

Florida
Except its not and you can go look at the amount of money Transformers makes to see that. I mean jeez, Transformers 3: The same shit except even worse made 1.1 BILLION. And you are telling me that the genre is niche? This movie is A LOAD better then any transformers movie, if it flops it will be sad because it will be on the fault of word of mouth not because the movie was bad. I just hope it does well internationally where original screenplays seem to do better and where movies like Grown Ups 2 flop like the pieces of shit they are.

By the way anyone cheering for this to fail can go fuck themselves because it will basically forever kill the R rated Mountains of Madness Del Toro wanted to do and was holding off on after Prometheus.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
bro, transformer has a global brand already. it's established in cartoons and brands around the globe. pacific rim is literally a fresh fruit. nobody recognizes it. only people who will be getting excited for are people like us and people in asia who are accustomed to mecha genre.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I know no one gives a shit. But just to be clear as an Australian those "aussie accents" were an absolute disgrace and the son 'aussie' didn't have an aussie accent it was fucken english/pommy. Sooooo bad. Me and the missus both came to the conclusion they were purposely bad as a wink the cheesy 80 flicks.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I know no one gives a shit. But just to be clear as an Australian those "aussie accents" were an absolute disgrace and the son 'aussie' didn't have an aussie accent it was fucken english/pommy. Sooooo bad. Me and the missus both came to the conclusion they were purposely bad as a wink the cheesy 80 flicks.
Yeah, have to agree. Not as bad as Taratino's attempt, or as jarring as John Jarratt's but still fairly bad on the son. For the father I was trying to work out if it was Grant Bowler or the guy that played Mack in 'The Unit' as it wasn't as bad and just wasn't sure if it was a yank doing an aussie or an aussie that had been doing yank accents for too long.

fucker_sl

shitlord
bro, transformer has a global brand already. it's established in cartoons and brands around the globe. pacific rim is literally a fresh fruit. nobody recognizes it. only people who will be getting excited for are people like us and people in asia who are accustomed to mecha genre.
unfortunatelly he is right. This movie main demographic is the nerd/anime/RPG/videogame fans, because for anyone else it will be another robot movie. Transformers had 25 years, toys and a dozen different cartoons to appeal to vastly different ppl. When i went see the first transformer movie 90% of the ppl were 30/35 guys. Guess why ?

Even godzilla will have much more potential audience

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Saw it. Loved it. Showing support on the DVD sale so we can look forward to a sequel. Hopefully it goes better than the Dredd debacle.

eek_sl

shitlord
Saw this movie on Saturday, and gotta say I was thoroughly entertained. I'm at a point where I feel like the stupidity/cheeziness of it was entirely intentional. It went so goddamn far adding every possible silly action movie trope. Hotshot hero has a tramatic loss due to his cockiness? Check. Hardass commander with a soft spot and a self-sacrificing secret? Check. Antagonistic rival who hates having his #1 status challenged? Check. Hero earns the respect of said rival in a "You can be my wingman anytime" scene. Rocky father-son relationship that has a moment of mending right before one of them goes out to die? Check. FOR MY FAMILY HOLY SHIT ASIAN PEOPLE LOVE SWORDS. etc. etc. This movie was a Top Gun spoof, but with 200 foot tall mechs.

Stupidity is bad when it's unintentional. But taking stupidity and ramping it to 11, then adding giant robots punching aliens in the face is awesome.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Ya, the Russians and Chinese mechs were barely in it. Would have been cool to see them wreck some shit instead of the small taste we got in the film.
Totally agree.

Regardless, this movie ruled. I loved the cheesiness of it. Seemed completely intentional and awesome.