Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think they purposefully left it that dark. I remember in one of the podcasts Joppa was saying they wanted to see how dark they could make night and still be playable.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I think they purposefully left it that dark. I remember in one of the podcasts Joppa was saying they wanted to see how dark they could make night and still be playable.
Define Playable?

Haha, it seems I stuck a nerve shitting on too much brown cult.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You install Pantheon. Your heart is racing like Brad after a line of coke. You load the world. Anticipation grows. You are presented with a black screen. The night is an opaque screen in front of you. You walk forward. More black. You walk to the left. More black. You walk to the right. More black. This is Pantheon. This is immersion. This is rocking.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"We wanted to see how dark we could make night"

Lap it up bros. Lap it up.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Terrible UT. How is your game coming??
Too much going on this summer
frown.png
And now Until Dawn is out and I will try that, need to finish up Witcher 3, and next week is Phantom Pain. So between games and summer, it's at roughly the same place. About 25% done with the world building of the main hub.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We are taking everything we've learned, planning better than ever, and believe me, there's probably nothing we want to avoid more than releasing an un-finished game. Pantheon is also being funded very differently than Vanguard was, although I am not at liberty to go into details.
Considering the planning they did with Vanguard and the planning they did with the original Kickstarter, I am guessing the planning quality is somewhere between null and void.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You install Pantheon. Your heart is racing like Brad after a line of coke. You load the world. Anticipation grows. You are presented with a black screen. The night is an opaque screen in front of you. You walk forward. More black. You walk to the left. More black. You walk to the right. More black. This is Pantheon. This is immersion. This is rocking.
Add a few skunk noises and then the sounds of being killed by a kobold runt you can't see, and you pretty much just described the classic Erudite necro experience.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Considering the planning they did with Vanguard and the planning they did with the original Kickstarter, I am guessing the planning quality is somewhere between null and void.
Skanda will probably just tell me to suck his cock again(I know it was you pussy!) but you guys continue to overlook some of the other people on this project.

Would you back Pantheon if... - Page 4 - MMORPG.com

(1) Brad and I are trying to do something ambitious and extremely challenging with Pantheon. We have an opportunity to create and design an MMORPG that answers a nearly decade-long absence: embracing the "stickiest" gameplay elements of the 1st generation that have been lost in modern game design. But this is not a paint-by-numbers endeavor; you can't just drag and drop an EverQuest design shell in the modern era and expect to hit a home run. If we're honest, even the most die hard EverQuest/Vanguard fans are looking for something more - not different, but more - and I like to call that an evolution.

What I'm talking about is having a meaningful premise. Why else make an MMORPG when there are so many right now and dozens more to come over the next few years? It's because we recognize an opportunity to be a forerunner, to create something fresh and do it best, to carve out a meaningful place in this modern era of MMOs. That something is creating a Hardcore MMORPG, not a "me too" game, but re-imagining and evolving the paradigms that birthed the genre - and in doing so, we want to revolutionize the way challenge, immersion and community are experienced in MMORPGs.

So how do you do that? I think it starts with perspective. I usually describe myself as someone who has been "jaded into relevance". I've been a gamer since I was 4 years old, and I have been obsessed with MMORPGs since I was 14, starting with UO and EverQuest. I have played nearly every commercial & indie MMO released since ~1997, but in 2013 I stopped cold for two reasons:

- I was tired of consuming and I wanted to start creating.

- I realized that everything I had been playing for the last 10 years felt like the same fundamental experience, over and over again, and I fell out of love with the genre.

So now I'm jaded, but that is exactly what drives me: I want to design MMORPGs that make me fall in love with them again, and hopefully many other people as well. This is a glimpse into my vision, and I've partnered it with Brad's, which brings us to...

(2) How do you revitalize 1st generation game design while keeping pace with the modern paradigms of online gaming? Or, how do you avoid creating a clone, but not fixing what isn't broken? Or perhaps most simply, how do you create an MMORPG that people want to play?

I think you have to start with a crystal clear, vetted and fortified vision, which is what Buccaneer captured in his post.

We are going back to the foundations of the genre, identifying the right paradigms, evolving-refining-solidifying them, and using them to carve a new path.

Not only is this premise ambitious, challenging and risky - but it takes a unique visionary recipe to see the right ways forward, especially in the small details of design and implementation. So Brad and I leverage our differences and use them to our advantage. Brad brings the old guard: he is a seasoned veteran of the industry who pioneered the paradigms we are seeking to recapture. I bring the new guard: young and hungry, frustrated with the sameness of MMORPGs and intent on finding the revolutionary recipe for Pantheon. We leverage this tension. Every premise point or design direction for Pantheon is hammered out on this visionary forge, and sparks often fly between us, but it's necessary to carve out the right direction and create a great game.

The next step will be to start unveiling some of these evolved systems - can't wait.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Skanda will probably just tell me to suck his cock again(I know it was you pussy!) but you guys continue to overlook some of the other people on this project.

Would you back Pantheon if... - Page 4 - MMORPG.com
This was the most over-bloated high level PR bullshit post I have ever read in my lifetime. So many words stated, and not one single tactical point made. Because of that post, I can now rest confident that you have two guys blowing each other in a closet instead of making a game.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was the most over-bloated high level PR bullshit post I have ever read in my lifetime. So many words stated, and not one single tactical point made.

Looks like a perfect match to start "Planning".
of course, they've stated a million times the info is going to drop at once. Details coming next month.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
With all the churn of people on and off the projects how couldn't there be information leaks? Outside of there being no information to leak.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
With all the churn of people on and off the projects how couldn't there be information leaks? Outside of there being no information to leak.
There're been a few leaks, but generally most of the people outside of his volunteer force aren't willing to risk their connection to other industry members based on one failed project.

The games industry is really incestuous, as you may have heard, and word travels quickly.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
A Quote from Brad McQuaid - Page 2 - MMORPG.com

We are taking everything we've learned, planning better than ever, and believe me, there's probably nothing we want to avoid more than releasing an un-finished game. Pantheon is also being funded very differently than Vanguard was, although I am not at liberty to go into details.
Funded differently than Vanguard? Is it being funded by prayers and dreams instead of cash?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Funded differently than Vanguard? Is it being funded by prayers and dreams instead of cash?
The funding is derived entirely via the selling of unicorn blood extracted by leprechauns somewhere over the rainbow, supported by their pot of golds.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They are big on unicorns in pantheon. Rumor I heard is they are all over the game..
Not what I heard. They spawn once every 12 hours on a table shared with 4 other common NPC's and drop an item needed for a Mage quest.

Oops: That's a Pegasus. Do they have any Pagasus's yet?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a feeling Convo has some friend or "internet friend" working on the project and that's the only reason he is swimming in the kool-aid or keeps trying to re-direct attention to others on the team. Well at least I hope so.