Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Dude, I gave up on MMO's a long fucking time ago. The last one I played was WoW about a year ago. I mean, that's great that you still wanna check Pantheon out. However, 5-7 nights of 4 hour shifts sitting in front of something waiting for a camper to be done with it just to have it stolen out from under you is not fun.

Eat shit sucker you're gonna wait 8 hours for this bitch to spawn and I am going to swoop in and KS that shit. MAGA, it's gonna rock.

Lodizal.JPG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
So are they handling epic quests in this game EQ 1 style with a long and obscure quest per class that the community figures out, or are they having them drop completely at random from face roll dungeon bosses like WoW? Or maybe just given to everyone at the start with a talent tree inside the weapon that you level?

Need some visionary input where's the Bradskies AMA?

Like EQ. Epic quests not limited to just weapons though. No talent trees of any kind.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Remember in Pantheon you get to dual wield shields. I think that was something some dumbfuck asked back in the Kickstarter days and Brad was like sure bro whatever you want just gimme that sweet cash.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Makes more sense than some dude carrying a snow globe and a puppet, but why not just make it one big shield rather than two small >_<

Sevens

Log Wizard
Makes more sense than some dude carrying a snow globe and a puppet, but why not just make it one big shield rather than two small >_<
With the two smaller shield you can use one or maybe both as an offensive weapon. Add spikes or a sharpened edge to your shield and you can do at least a little damage

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Elidroth had no idea why people played Eqemu over EQLive. Chances are high this is not the case, which is why he no longer workds in the gaming industry and bombs muslims with drones.

That post may have been poorly worded.. I was really more looking for info about what it was emulators gave players that we weren't. It was more to see if there wasn't a way to bring that back to actual EQ and attract some of those emulator players back. It got blown way out of proportion IMO, but that's what happens on the interwebs...

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Elidroth had no idea why people played Eqemu over EQLive. Chances are high this is not the case, which is why he no longer workds in the gaming industry and bombs muslims with drones.

Actually.. I'm no longer in the gaming industry because the offer I received to fly UAVs touched a passion for aviation that I've had since I was a child.. Oh, and the $300,000/year pay with most of it tax free didn't hurt either.

Oh.. and no bombs.. just cameras.. but I can see you from a LONG way up.. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
That post may have been poorly worded.. I was really more looking for info about what it was emulators gave players that we weren't. It was more to see if there wasn't a way to bring that back to actual EQ and attract some of those emulator players back. It got blown way out of proportion IMO, but that's what happens on the interwebs...
The fact that you guys even had to ask was so clueless and pathetic though. There had been a million posts all over the internet for years about what people hated about modern EQ etc. All SOE needed to do was make some new ruleset servers and it would have transformed EQ. People were crying out for a classic EQ server that didn't get shitted up with mercs and all the modern crap, and year after year went by without SOE ever even acknowledging anything about this. P99 is still the only server like that to exist. There is also one other now called The AlKabor Project which is only trying to replicate the official SOE Mac server which some of us played on PC's for the sole reason that it was locked in time at PoP (and it was also free and let you multibox). So the one server SOE had which was the nearest thing to an Emu server, they shut down because they didn't want to waste the time of the one dude who maintained it.

You guys were utterly clueless and deserve a dead company. I don't say this to be mean but because it is just so true. SOE got lucky with EQ and made many millions from it, but then any smart company would have learned from it and tried to repeat it. SOE did the exact opposite at every step of the way. They made a sequel which was garbage, they bought Vanguard which was the nearest thing to a spiritual sequel but then ran it into the ground. And the ignored all the cries for ruleset servers and watched cluelessly as random people made their own emulators to do it themselves. Shameful. My favorite quote is, "SoE: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Glad you have moved on, I wish SOE could have got things right though.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Vanguard ran itself into the ground though, lets be honest. Maybe buying it was a poor business decision by SoE, but it certainly wasn't their fault it was released as a buggy fucking mess, and was coded in such a way that made fixing it a nightmare.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I haven't personally.. but it has been seen.. Not joking at all.

Obviously, your co-workers aren't your friends. What kind of friend doesn't share that kind of shit with everyone else they can? Who keeps that to themselves?

Flobee has it exactly right. Vanguard was a poorly made PoS that SOE shouldn't have bought.Then all the whiners would have played a shitload less of Vanguard because Brad would have shut the doors fast as fuck. The game had great ideas, poor implementation. No matter how good the idea, if it's done wrong, it's shit. Qwerty is a retard and that's why he armchair manages his momma's basement. Good job!

• 1Like

tyen

<Banned>

tyen

<Banned>
Found this a funny read. Somewhat relatable

the duck technique in corporate programming: a programmer expects their corporate office to insist on at least one change on every presentation to show that they're participating, regardless of the benefits of that change. Consequently, the programmer intentionally adds an element they expect corporate to remove.:

This started as a piece of corporate lore at Interplay Entertainment. It was well known that producers (a game industry position roughly equivalent to project manager) had to make a change to everything that was done. The assumption was that subconsciously they felt that if they didn't, they weren't adding value.

The artist working on the queen animations for Battle Chess was aware of this tendency, and came up with an innovative solution. He did the animations for the queen the way that he felt would be best, with one addition: he gave the queen a pet duck. He animated this duck through all of the queen's animations, had it flapping around the corners. He also took great care to make sure that it never overlapped the "actual" animation.

Eventually, it came time for the producer to review the animation set for the queen. The producer sat down and watched all of the animations. When they were done, he turned to the artist and said, "That looks great. Just one thing: get rid of the duck."

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The greatest irony of all is that Pantheon is literally the only upcoming MMO I'm even slightly interested in checking out. That's pretty messed up. I mean, as far as I know, there is nothing else. Honestly, I couldn't even name another MMO in development right now.

I'm not sure if that means I'm sad and pathetic, or if it means the MMO landscape is sad and pathetic. Probably both. I still want to check out Pantheon if it ever actually releases though, just to say I was there and have a first hand account of it, for better or worse.
Fucking wow ruined it all. Yeah people liked it and played it but it was shit. And they made it even more easy mode as time went on. And then we got 100 McWow clones which all fucking failed miserably.

Man just playing EQ again on emu servers it was a different type of game, dangerous, treacherous, no maps, need for other peeps, just a better all around experience. Yeah there was some amount of shit with it, but overall its just a better experience. It took longer but it did not matter as you played whatever time you alloted. It was good for hardcore, softcore and everything between.

I want that experience again in something new. Hopefully they finish this.

• 1Like
Vanguard could have been awesome with a bit more work. Also it wasn't the only game they killed, they killed EVERY one of their games. And that is why they are dead.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Fucking wow ruined it all. Yeah people liked it and played it but it was shit. And they made it even more easy mode as time went on. And then we got 100 McWow clones which all fucking failed miserably.

Man just playing EQ again on emu servers it was a different type of game, dangerous, treacherous, no maps, need for other peeps, just a better all around experience. Yeah there was some amount of shit with it, but overall its just a better experience. It took longer but it did not matter as you played whatever time you alloted. It was good for hardcore, softcore and everything between.

I want that experience again in something new. Hopefully they finish this.

And this is part of the reason why MMO's are dead. Because my generation doesn't even believe in them. How are we expecting the next generation (Gen Y, Millenials,WTF ever you wanna call them) to believe in something that we don't believe in? Sure, we could say that want a kick you in the balls hard MMO, but millenials would see right through that and just say, "Grindy, next."

Which is what I say. And I'm firmly planted in GenX. They would say that I'm wearing nostalgia glasses if I said I wanted a game that difficult. They would be correct.

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed WoW from a few months after launch up until the first expansion. It truly felt like the refinement of EQ that we had expected EQ2 would be. I didn't really enjoy the quest based leveling much, but you could just grind mobs back then if you got bored of gathering 10 Murlock penises or whatever.

As for today's gamers, I don't know. They seem to like DayZ and Rust survival type shit, so maybe some version of harder MMO could work. Being dropped naked into the world and figuring out how to survive might appeal to some younger gamers. Of course that's not the same as working together against a game. It's all me, all the time.

The problem seems to be everyone is out for themselves so much these days. Back in EQ and even early WoW, you'd have your entire guild just up and go help you get something you needed, kill whatever, camp whatever, just to help one individual. It felt really good having all those folks just drop whatever and team up just to help you out, and it was also very rewarding helping others too. Shit, I loved seeing some newer guildy mention needing something and then just telling them, "Oh you need so and so? Cool lets go get that shit done right now." Then a few minutes later you have a group, and are in a dungeon kicking ass, and the guy has his drop.

I'm not sure younger generation would appreciate this "helping others even if they can't help me at the moment" attitude. Maybe I'm wrong, just a cynical old guy, but it seems people are more about getting what they need and then moving on. Maybe a truly challenging world would bring back the concept of comradery, but then again maybe they'd just say "lol this sux."

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the key is forcing grouping by making the world brutal to try and survive on your own, punishing individuals who want to be assholes and have a shitty reputation, and rewarding those individuals who are skilled at their class, and work well with others. This is what EQ did, and it worked out pretty well.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users