Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I like the idea of forced grouping, but you also have to consider people that play in smaller bursts. I believe in order for an MMO to take off it has to have some content that caters to both the short term players (Timmy's 30 minutes before he has to do homework) and the long term ones (Johnny Uber running raids 8 hours a day). Games in the past have done this poorly by literally separating the content into solo shit and group shit, I think this is really stupid. Make everything difficult, just add classes that can do a better job of soloing. Combine this with some sort of task system ala daoc or solo questing system, with the fastest progression being group content and I think we have a good mix.

I really like the fact that EQ forced us to rely on each other to progress, but I'm not sure if that system would fly today without some alterations.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I think the people here don't realize that trying to make the games solo friendly and shorter burst because you are old cunts with families doesn't make gaming better. It's you faggots making MMO's worse because you cant let go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
You all talk crap. MMO's are far from dead, there are lots of them and they are all successful. This also has nothing to do with this game or why it exists and why it is the way that it is.

• 3Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... There is also one other now called The AlKabor Project which is only trying to replicate the official SOE Mac server which some of us played on PC's for the sole reason that it was locked in time at PoP (and it was also free and let you multibox). So the one server SOE had which was the nearest thing to an Emu server, they shut down because they didn't want to waste the time of the one dude who maintained it.

EQ Mac's demise was due to the hack that allowed PC clients to connect to the server. This allowed really old builds of MQ with powerful hacks because, as you said, the Mac server was frozen in time circa 2002 with no patches since. The PC players boosted the population nicely for a very short time, but then it became a complete griefer server shitfest. Active speed hacks, training, you name it. We had a naked level 1 guy running bard speed training PoTime trash wiping raids.

As soon as the petitions started rolling in, SoE rightfully shut it down. Those petitions meant significant Customer Service time on a server that had no subscription income.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Morons.

Quit turning this into the shitshow that is the VG forum. Those pieces of moronic pieces of fuck are talking about how many people Brad should allow in a group for fucks sake. Let me remind you this game will never come out, you shouldn't promote it here, and this genre is deader than a fucking doornail and the people we have to blame are the same fucking ones STILL FUCKING IT UP. Just when I thought it has been fucked more than EA's ass wallet from Walton!

From Crowfall now to this game, What was once a genre worth caring about has turned into two games no one gives a fuck about. BECAUSE OF THE SAME PEOPLE CHASING A BUCK FROM 19 FUCKING 99 AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT MAKING A FUN GAME. The people under them? Sure. But neither give a fucking SHIT about the game itself THATS WHY BOTH ARE DESTINED TO FAIL.

THATS THE REALITY. PERIOD.

Holy fucking fuck of all fucks the F16 is armed and in the air! And anyone coming in here to this glorious forum talking about bullshit will feel the wrath of the F fucking 16 up their verbal asshole!

Last edited:
  • 3Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Love you all save qwerty who is still a fucking moron troll you STILL have not figured out yet. I see it from here, in the frozen tundra of penguin land while under a 40 dollar blanket as my dogs stare at this little mac book pro screen in shock that you give this little fucker the time of day with a reply.

GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK. And blast those little paid for fuckers over at the VG forums, and if not paid, holy fuck they voted for Obama,

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Pantheon is the most promising fantasy MMORPG currently in development.

Fact.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Back to the really important thing though...

Come at me Bro.

og176.jpg

duel_wield_shield.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I enjoyed WoW from a few months after launch up until the first expansion. It truly felt like the refinement of EQ that we had expected EQ2 would be. I didn't really enjoy the quest based leveling much, but you could just grind mobs back then if you got bored of gathering 10 Murlock penises or whatever.

As for today's gamers, I don't know. They seem to like DayZ and Rust survival type shit, so maybe some version of harder MMO could work. Being dropped naked into the world and figuring out how to survive might appeal to some younger gamers. Of course that's not the same as working together against a game. It's all me, all the time.

The problem seems to be everyone is out for themselves so much these days. Back in EQ and even early WoW, you'd have your entire guild just up and go help you get something you needed, kill whatever, camp whatever, just to help one individual. It felt really good having all those folks just drop whatever and team up just to help you out, and it was also very rewarding helping others too. Shit, I loved seeing some newer guildy mention needing something and then just telling them, "Oh you need so and so? Cool lets go get that shit done right now." Then a few minutes later you have a group, and are in a dungeon kicking ass, and the guy has his drop.

I'm not sure younger generation would appreciate this "helping others even if they can't help me at the moment" attitude. Maybe I'm wrong, just a cynical old guy, but it seems people are more about getting what they need and then moving on. Maybe a truly challenging world would bring back the concept of comradery, but then again maybe they'd just say "lol this sux."

I just think that you have nostalgia goggles on and you can't get them off of your face.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I forgot about dual wielding shields. Is that still a thing they promise I hope? The memes are too good for them to ignore it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I just think that you have nostalgia goggles on and you can't get them off of your face.

There's definitely some nostalgia going on, but it's more than that for me. I was 30 in 1999 so it's not like I'm pining for the woebegone days of lost childhood, and I was old enough to have very clear memories of it all, so I haven't forgotten how it actually was. I just like that shit man.

Now I'm not saying there shouldn't be improvements here and there, like how WoW built upon EQ, but at some point you've got to say, "Look, we've made the Quality of Life less shitty, and we've got great bandwidth/stable servers, and we even made kill stealing and 24-hour spawn camps a thing of the past, and so on... but that's enough. We're not gimping the game anymore, so you need some skill, planning, and free time to go all the way to the top in this game and we're not giving in to the point of destroying what makes a multiplayer game actually multiplayer instead of soloing with others."

I'm not a Luddite or grognard, I just prefer a more traditional, challenging, group-centric style of MMORPG. The fact that Pantheon is the only one "being made" is fucking depressing, but here we are. I'm still not giving them any money until there's an actual, working game though.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I like the idea of forced grouping, but you also have to consider people that play in smaller bursts. I believe in order for an MMO to take off it has to have some content that caters to both the short term players (Timmy's 30 minutes before he has to do homework) and the long term ones (Johnny Uber running raids 8 hours a day). Games in the past have done this poorly by literally separating the content into solo shit and group shit, I think this is really stupid. Make everything difficult, just add classes that can do a better job of soloing. Combine this with some sort of task system ala daoc or solo questing system, with the fastest progression being group content and I think we have a good mix.

I really like the fact that EQ forced us to rely on each other to progress, but I'm not sure if that system would fly today without some alterations.

Original EQ didn't have forced grouping. Most classes (not warrior) could solo, it was just more difficult and took more skill and time. In most cases, it was just more beneficial to group because dying was a pain in the ass, and the amount of mobs you could kill in any given time was much greater in a good group. I played a wizard, and was able to solo here and there, but it was not worth it during vanilla because it took too fucking long to med between pulls. But later expansions, when quadding was much easier because of buffs like KEI, I soloed frequently. When I say forced grouping, I don't mean either you're in a group or you can't accomplish anything in the game, I mean to make it more beneficial to group with others than to run around soloing. Make more of the game group friendly, instead of solo friendly.

EQ Mac's demise was due to the hack that allowed PC clients to connect to the server. This allowed really old builds of MQ with powerful hacks because, as you said, the Mac server was frozen in time circa 2002 with no patches since. The PC players boosted the population nicely for a very short time, but then it became a complete griefer server shitfest. Active speed hacks, training, you name it. We had a naked level 1 guy running bard speed training PoTime trash wiping raids.

As soon as the petitions started rolling in, SoE rightfully shut it down. Those petitions meant significant Customer Service time on a server that had no subscription income.
But they could have made a legitimate Mac server and had a subscription like all the others, and they could have had a locked in time server too and made money from that, like p99. They could have had lots of custom servers and saved their game. Or they could do none of that and go down the tubes. They chose the latter.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Original EQ didn't have forced grouping. Most classes (not warrior) could solo, it was just more difficult and took more skill and time. In most cases, it was just more beneficial to group because dying was a pain in the ass, and the amount of mobs you could kill in any given time was much greater in a good group. I played a wizard, and was able to solo here and there, but it was not worth it during vanilla because it took too fucking long to med between pulls. But later expansions, when quadding was much easier because of buffs like KEI, I soloed frequently. When I say forced grouping, I don't mean either you're in a group or you can't accomplish anything in the game, I mean to make it more beneficial to group with others than to run around soloing. Make more of the game group friendly, instead of solo friendly.

Good point. EQ was, in a lot of ways, a game of efficiency. Grouping was just significantly more efficient. I forget about this sometimes, but one of the cool things about EQ's combat was that it was a very basic match up of you characters statistics versus the mobs. It gets more complicated with spells and more than one person, but at the base level it was this.

Newer games still have this to some degree but it is obfuscated by flashy shit and button spamming.

Group friendly is the right mindset though, I agree with you.

• 2Like