Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm amazed how many of you continued playing into the twilight years. Pretty sure I quit EQ once WoW dropped and never looked back. Or some time after, I don't remember. I killed Quarm, that's about the last I remember. I must have revisited during GoD/OoW because I remember those mobs hitting like fucking trucks for no good reason.

That's me. I almost bought the GoD expansion but decided to focus on EQ2. That didn't work so I upgraded to WoW and never looked back. If I wanted something different there was Rift, Vanguard, WAR, etc. I never once wanted to go back to an ancient game where advancement had already been hard to accomplish. When they changed the game and old zones I loved? Nothing left for me. P99 could fill those needs without giving a shitty company money or support.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm amazed how many of you continued playing into the twilight years. Pretty sure I quit EQ once WoW dropped and never looked back. Or some time after, I don't remember. I killed Quarm, that's about the last I remember. I must have revisited during GoD/OoW because I remember those mobs hitting like fucking trucks for no good reason.

It probably has a lot to do with that style of gameplay that kept me playing EQ. Sure, I heard about how amazing WoW was when it launched in 2004 but I never felt compelled to leave EQ for "greener pastures". At least not right away. I eventually did try WoW but it wasn't until sometime right before Lich King was released. I thought it was everything I had heard it was - polished, clean, fairly balanced and easy to solo my way up the chain. Did some dungeons for the group game, joined a guild for the raid game. Within a year of playing, I was done with it and have never felt compelled enough to ever go back again. After taking some time off from MMOs, I eventually went back to EQ for a couple years or so and enjoyed the hell out of it, even though the game had evolved a bit since.

Which leads me to Pantheon. I like the path they are taking with the game's design (i.e., class interdependence, meaningful/situational itemization, socialization, etc.) because it is one I know and one I enjoyed for many years. I'd be fine with just a pure re-skin of EQ but am looking forward to seeing how some of the changes and additions they've mentioned (at least conceptually) will play out.

Besides, nothing else out there right now even interests me. I played GW2 for a year or so but eventually lost interest. Playing Rift now but can already see the writing on the wall for that one too at some point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
WoW beta and Gates of Discord released around the same time so you may have tried GoD, like many of us, and said fuck this and moved on.

I remember going to Alex's house while WoW was in early beta.. I played it for maybe 30 minutes and thought to myself, "EQ is dead in the water compared to this". It was just so crazy polished even then..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
More on-topic though.. I like what I'm seeing coming out of the Pantheon camp lately. Time will tell what kind of game it ends up being, but visually I like the world being created.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Technically it was a better game, plus it was way easier on the masses, no downtime, easy path to 60, solo to boot. Etc... But it also had a lot of the soul of EQ era MMO missing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
More on-topic though.. I like what I'm seeing coming out of the Pantheon camp lately. Time will tell what kind of game it ends up being, but visually I like the world being created.
Yeah, they have made some great strides from what they have shown in my opinion. I am feeling pretty damn positive about the project these days. Looking forward to the next stream.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Technically it was a better game, plus it was way easier on the masses, no downtime, easy path to 60, solo to boot. Etc... But it also had a lot of the soul of EQ era MMO missing.

The soul was there. The content, lore, characters, everything was there. It was just lost in the race to 60. WoW has a LOT of soul that most people gloss over.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think were seeing the resurgence of EQ era type MMOs. Especially with the lack of anything new and revolutionary on the horizon. I think people are sick of the wow clones for the past ecade. Its apparent on EQ live, many are coming back, P99 with a huge following and also the wildly popular progression servers on live. this game just might hit at the right time if they do it correct and dont release a 1/2 finished buggy mess.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The soul was there. The content, lore, characters, everything was there. It was just lost in the race to 60. WoW has a LOT of soul that most people gloss over.

I personally dont think so, but opinions, right? The game just felt like one big spreadsheet. Early on at least there was some charm to things, but then they went and normalized everything, and continued to normalize the shit out of that game until its nothing more than a lobby game at this point.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I think were seeing the resurgence of EQ era type MMOs. Especially with the lack of anything new and revolutionary on the horizon. I think people are sick of the wow clones for the past ecade. Its apparent on EQ live, many are coming back, P99 with a huge following and also the wildly popular progression servers on live. this game just might hit at the right time if they do it correct and dont release a 1/2 finished buggy mess.
That's my feeling and a lot of my guildmates, across the few games i play concurrently, feel the same way - they wish they had somewhere to go other than EQ.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Found my original EQ cd while cleaning out some stuff in my office.

A0gKFrV.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I wonder how WoW would have done without the ! over npc's heads? A little more forced exploration and discovery might have made the lore more important to people and lessened the race to 60, but then again, it might have just made the game feel tedious.. Hard to say without trying it.. It's hard to argue with WoW's popularity though.. Blizzard clearly did A LOT correctly.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I loved the PvP instances in WoW and the open world PvP skirmishes you would get into while leveling,shit I even remeber raiding the main cities, that was always cool. But that dint last long. Soon after vanilla and tbc the open world PvP was pretty much dead. Everything else to me was meh. Never really raided in that game so cant speak on that part of it,(I mostly grinded the PvP) but to me the items were meh, the economy was meh, and the world was kind of meh (nothing to see or explore if not a bear ass quest related). Some of the dungeons during vanilla were cool, nothing like EQ dungeons though. And they got worse and more linear as time went on. they even revamped some of the old school ones to be more linear last time I payed during panda days to cater to the "dungeon finder" thing.

Its popularity was unquestionable though. Good game but nothing like old school mmorpgs, it started out as one but quickly devolved into nothing more than a lobby game other than grinding out the 100-200 samey bear ass quests every time new expansion released to hit level cap.

xzi

Mouthbreather
There's a lot of hit and miss for me when it comes to WoW vs other mmos, I think Black Desert is the best MMO to come to the western market since WoW but it suffers from stupid shit like tiny bag spaces for most of your experience and having to spend real money if you want to compete at a high level or even just grind efficiently & as fun as it is, I have absolutely zero friends that play so it kinda gets pretty meh pretty quick. WoW however has a gigantic population and I have FoH & friends that still play and that's a big allure.

Going back and actually reading old quests, it's still a world I fell heavily in love with for the lore and general atmosphere of the game. I mean I skip almost everything after I do it once but I think most people don't really do that though, I think most people just see the quest objective and go to that part of the map and that is that. Even now, there's some good quests in the game but people still blast it as a soulless husk of a once dominant genre of questing etc etc and I think that's more on them vs on blizzard.