Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I loved WoW for about six months during vanilla. I played for six more months, but I didn't like the raiding in it as much as EQ for some reason. Also, I never felt the urge to be online if there wasn't a scheduled raid. I quit just as TBC was getting ready to release and haven't played since. So I got a good six months, and a decent six more months after that out of the game. For some reason, it just never hooked me like EQ did. At my peak playing EQ, I was online for around 12 to 16 hours a day, six to seven days a week. I never wanted to be offline. It's probably a good thing for me that there haven't been any games since EQ to hook me like that. I'd have wound up being a drug dealer or a bank robber in order to keep feeding my habit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
There's a lot of hit and miss for me when it comes to WoW vs other mmos, I think Black Desert is the best MMO to come to the western market since WoW but it suffers from stupid shit like tiny bag spaces for most of your experience and having to spend real money if you want to compete at a high level or even just grind efficiently & as fun as it is, I have absolutely zero friends that play so it kinda gets pretty meh pretty quick. WoW however has a gigantic population and I have FoH & friends that still play and that's a big allure.

Going back and actually reading old quests, it's still a world I fell heavily in love with for the lore and general atmosphere of the game. I mean I skip almost everything after I do it once but I think most people don't really do that though, I think most people just see the quest objective and go to that part of the map and that is that. Even now, there's some good quests in the game but people still blast it as a soulless husk of a once dominant genre of questing etc etc and I think that's more on them vs on blizzard.

play bdo with me (ultra casually for 3-4 hours a week).

but then I also might play wow on my alliance war again

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It probably has a lot to do with that style of gameplay that kept me playing EQ. Sure, I heard about how amazing WoW was when it launched in 2004 but I never felt compelled to leave EQ for "greener pastures". At least not right away. I eventually did try WoW but it wasn't until sometime right before Lich King was released. I thought it was everything I had heard it was - polished, clean, fairly balanced and easy to solo my way up the chain. Did some dungeons for the group game, joined a guild for the raid game. Within a year of playing, I was done with it and have never felt compelled enough to ever go back again. After taking some time off from MMOs, I eventually went back to EQ for a couple years or so and enjoyed the hell out of it, even though the game had evolved a bit since.

Which leads me to Pantheon. I like the path they are taking with the game's design (i.e., class interdependence, meaningful/situational itemization, socialization, etc.) because it is one I know and one I enjoyed for many years. I'd be fine with just a pure re-skin of EQ but am looking forward to seeing how some of the changes and additions they've mentioned (at least conceptually) will play out.

Besides, nothing else out there right now even interests me. I played GW2 for a year or so but eventually lost interest. Playing Rift now but can already see the writing on the wall for that one too at some point.
I think you picked the absolute worst time to decide to fire up WoW lol. Wrath was a fucking nightmare.

And you may be right about the GoD <-> WoW Beta. I was in the beta, and I'm pretty sure I played it while not raiding.

Fuck GoD. Especially Uqua.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
WoW was more enjoyable than EQ at that point, but that's not saying much. EQ thru Velious was vastly superior, and having gone back and played Vanilla WoW and classic EQ, EQ wins hands down - lacking polish, crusty graphics and all.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait, did I miss the part that I cant even talk about the game on their forums unless I pay a monthly sub? Jeez...

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
A long time ago, in a developer meeting far far away, this guy told some folks that were worried, when the forums inside and outside of EQ were usual flaming of how buggy the game was, said: "It's when the bitching stops, that's when you have to worry. "

He's right though. We will all at least try it, or try and hop into a beta. On the off chance we like it, and we were wrong, it's good for both. On the chance we are right, it's bad for both.

The one good thing out of all of this, is that Brad is the ONLY relic to my knowledge that literally got his shit kicked in and was forced to take accountability when Vanguard and Sigil went under. So that automatically puts him above Vogel, Walton, Sage, Ponytail, etc. Because none of those idiots ever took accountability and hopped on to their next scam of games and brought that same mentality to their development teams that made every other project they worked on fail miserably.

So... Dare I say it. At least there is a slight hope since McQuaid got thwapped with the wooden spoon. And was thwapped hard. And once you are thwapped that hard with the wooden spoon, you do not want to get thwapped that hard ever again.

Thwap

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users