Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The game looks and feels very 'EverQuest'-y , possibly more so than Ashes of Creation. I too asked about feature creep and I could tell that it was a common refrain because they gave a snappy response along the lines of the posting above.

I would say that this game really isn't aiming to be the next WoW... they didn't seem to be going out of their way to showcase how approachable the game was or any conceits for mass market appeal. Rather they seem focused on making a very good spiritual successor to the EverQuest franchise more suitable for the hardcore RPGers out there. Clearly they do exist but I wonder if there are enough people who want such a hardcore game to justify the expense of development. I think crowd-sourced funding is really the only way something like this can work simply because you need to pre-identify and scope your market with the initial campaign.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
With only 3 zones done and Brad doesn't have Sojourn to steal from anymore, I think Brad is shitting his pants trying to write something worthwhile. Take another Oxy Brad, maybe that'll be your muse.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
With only 3 zones done and Brad doesn't have Sojourn to steal from anymore, I think Brad is shitting his pants trying to write something worthwhile. Take another Oxy Brad, maybe that'll be your muse.

There are eight or nine zones atm.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Nearly finished zones?

I notice no response almost 4 hours later by any of the people playing the game. Answer must be a ......resounding NO. 'Guys, guys, guys, Just ten more years! Just a measly 3652 days and we are already almost finished with one of them!'

Zaide

TLP Idealist
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist

Highlights:
Bards will be in for launch
Classes have iconic abilities (Like FD for Monks)
Classes will be able to acquire "Epic Abilities" typically by finding a master somewhere in the world who they must convince to train them (Epic Ability Quests)
Traps will be in game
Rogues can detect, dismantle and set mechanical traps.
Wizards will detect and deactivate magical traps.
Rangers will detect and deactivate some sort of outdoor/nature based traps.
He goes into more depth on each class and their functions/roles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
1. It takes a Herculean effort to complete a massive, immersive, non procedurally-generated, handcrafted world of varying environments and dungeons. It takes even more of an effort to fill that world with balanced and interesting NPCs/mobs, quests, items, etc. Just accomplishing those feats alone with Pantheon's manpower and budget limitations would be a huge accomplishment.

2. The next big hurdle would be doing all of the above and taking the time and effort to test and fix the myriad bugs and problems that would inevitably exist so that your game actually works and runs smoothly. I think you can argue that Vanguard accomplished number 1 above, but they never really passed this second hurdle.

3. Supposing that they create a living, breathing world and get it to run smoothly, they are still going to have to address the issue of hackers and exploiters and dupers and farmers that could easily render a wonderfully designed world into shit in a matter of weeks.

4. Finally, if they accomplish all of the above, they are still going to have to find and reach a big enough market and have a monetization strategy strong enough to support paying the bills, which includes not only running the existing game but paying for fixes, improvements, and additions for years to come.

5. Most importantly, they have to pray that at some point in time they reach that sublime state of je ne sais quoi that means their game is actually fun enough to play that they will retain any audience they manage to get.

In short, it's pretty close to a miracle for any company to make a worthwhile MMO these days; especially when that company has limited manpower/budget issues. On the other hand, I think we have all seen that just because you have a ton of money and resources, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll actually get the job done.

Here's hoping for a miracle.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The game looks and feels very 'EverQuest'-y , possibly more so than Ashes of Creation. I too asked about feature creep and I could tell that it was a common refrain because they gave a snappy response along the lines of the posting above.

I would say that this game really isn't aiming to be the next WoW... they didn't seem to be going out of their way to showcase how approachable the game was or any conceits for mass market appeal. Rather they seem focused on making a very good spiritual successor to the EverQuest franchise more suitable for the hardcore RPGers out there. Clearly they do exist but I wonder if there are enough people who want such a hardcore game to justify the expense of development. I think crowd-sourced funding is really the only way something like this can work simply because you need to pre-identify and scope your market with the initial campaign.
This guy seems really fucking new

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I notice no response almost 4 hours later by any of the people playing the game. Answer must be a ......resounding NO. 'Guys, guys, guys, Just ten more years! Just a measly 3652 days and we are already almost finished with one of them!'
I want to introduce you to three letters.

N
D
A

• 1Worf

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Man the would-be Rangers on reddit sure got salty over this video.

TIL that a Ranger having a "mix of melee and ranged dps" and having bows be "vital to disengage and reengage" is not enough bow use.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Man the would-be Rangers on reddit sure got salty over this video.

TIL that a Ranger having a "mix of melee and ranged dps" and having bows be "vital to disengage and reengage" is not enough bow use.

I don't want action packed combat of running in and out of range pressing a bunch of buttons. If I play a ranger I want to stand behind everyone, and shoot an arrow at shit, over, and over again.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't want action packed combat of running in and out of range pressing a bunch of buttons. If I play a ranger I want to stand behind everyone, and shoot an arrow at shit, over, and over again.

Yeah, if I'm playing this I'm not expecting any of this fun shit. I want to take unannounced bathroom and sandwich breaks that nobody notices

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
It got me intrigued enough to buy on launch. Hoping for a group/guild from within the forums. The fun lies in grouping and latest video got me sold. Not raging or fanboying, but more. Meh, same guys as vanguard, know what i'm getting into and will be fun to try and hopefully stay. This could turn it around for Vanguard and EQ2.

My body yearns for something to stay at for some months. My ADD is extreme since a child and if it does not catch me or interest me I quit fast.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
This months newsletter is out, lots of good new information in it, including a great interview with Dan, their CTO.
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Newsletter - April 2018

Looks like the new zone Black Rose Keep is intended to span a large range of levels (8 - 35) with hints of an even higher level boss encounter. They've talked a bit about having zones with content for multiple level ranges so you're encouraged to come back and revisit an old zone again at a higher level to explore areas that were too high for you originally.

Hopefully we get a good stream of the zone sometime soon.

BlackRoseKeep_043.png
BlackRoseKeep_011.png
BlackRoseKeep_039.png
BlackRoseKeep_041.png
BlackRoseKeep_050.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users