Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It's very weird to hear someone talk about WoW being old and ugly...yet push a game that is trying to be a graphical upgrade to an even older and uglier game. When I say graphical upgrade, i'm talking about 2010 type graphics with terrible animation I haven't seen since before Warhammer Online. It's also pretty funny to hear people mention strategy when EQ had very little. Some crowd control and linking of targeting. High tech, skillful gaming indeed.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
My biggest issue with this, is none of these "reveals" have been large enough. Every reveal is so incredibly segmented. When are we going to get a 10-zone demo or something. Every single system/idea seems 15% complete.

Just seems like every time I look back at this, I would prefer to see something more concrete. Instead it just feels like a ton of pieces that haven't really come together..

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Game started development in early-mid 2015 when Chris Perkins revived the dead project, drastically changing almost everything about it but the name in the process, and it then slowly started to form the new game on the backs of a skeleton crew for the first year.
He has some good ideas. His interpretation of the perception system seems to hold some potential promise of delivering a genuine gameplay upgrade over the freedom of questing and adventuring in EQ, while at the same time avoiding the railed pitfalls of WoW questing. But will it be practical enough to implement a decent amount of content with non trivial perception depth ?

The other big question mark for me is how good will other core gameplay mechanics such as pulling be?

There is still so much work left to be done fleshing all these systems out and pulling them all togehter......zzzzzzzzz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game started development in early-mid 2015 when Chris Perkins revived the dead project, drastically changing almost everything about it but the name in the process, and it then slowly started to form the new game on the backs of a skeleton crew for the first year. The last two years has seen the team hire legitimate talent in programming and art, and they've now secured enough investment money (Series B funding) to see them through to launch. With the team looking to expand by roughly 10-15 people in the next month or two, mostly artists and animators, they should be able to make a huge push on world building in 2019, especially now since all twelve classes and most races (M and F) are in the game. A lot still needs to happen for this game to be a success, but since Chris took the day to day development over from Brad, the project has been on an upward trajectory.

In terms of other big western MMOs Grim, I think it's just Ashes and Elyria. Ashes is probably too PvP oriented, and Elyria is doing some new things, but not sure people want their character to be forced into perma-death eventually. I certainly do not. Aion 2 might be in that mix, probably not.

I do disagree with Ravishing though. I think there is a big market for the game they are trying to make, even if younger gamers don't really know it yet. Everyone likes challenge and strategy, bringing that back to the genre is good. Bringing back some of the iconic EQ1 classes and the support role is a good thing as well. The negative aspects of EQ1, specifically the tediousness, they can limit or remove most of that. Now, in terms of sub #s, we'll have to see, I don't expect anything near WoW though.

I've gone from "this game is vaporware", which it absolutely was, to "this new guy seems to know what he's doing, maybe....", to "this game might actually launch by 2025", to "not entirely sure how it happened, but this game looks legitimately promising", which is where I'm at now. I'm still not sold they can deliver on their promises, but as they hire quality and proven talent and the streams continue to show improvement, I think it's more likely than not that this thing could be decent. I do expect a late 2020 release. I expect Alpha mid-late 2019. Short, six month beta.

Flipping teams, barely anything released, a shill Alpha that they keep begging for money for, and adding convoluted systems onto an already delayed game brings you hope?

Hungry dogs eat from the trash I guess

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
More people have been playing slot machines and for longer than WoW, because it's a better game?

• 1Worf

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Black Rose Keep month one....an allusion if you will.

Me month one.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
everquest was a perfect storm where technology was new, spoiler sites were almost non existent and the market hadnt been saturated for decades. sure we had Ultima Online and The Realm a lot of us came from, but they were lower end games and you really only knew about them if you were a DnD/MUD/P&P nerd from back in the day. for a new MMORPG to take the market by storm, you need to have a new technology to lure you in, a way to null walkthroughs and something that hasnt been done before but people will want to be a part of. AFAIK those goals will never be met.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The next MMO that comes close to the mania that WoW had will be the first well-made VR MMO 15+ years from now.
i really thought Planetside was going to be the next big EQ type of game. customizable personal spaceships with maybe farming different planets for mats or killing alien monsters for rare items to make personal/ship upgrades with. maybe have the guild leader flying the mother ship that all of the guild members could dock their custom ships in. have the mother ship travel to distant points in the galaxy to deploy all the members ships for space encounters/raids. nope. it was nothing like that.

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's very weird to hear someone talk about WoW being old and ugly...yet push a game that is trying to be a graphical upgrade to an even older and uglier game. When I say graphical upgrade, i'm talking about 2010 type graphics with terrible animation I haven't seen since before Warhammer Online. It's also pretty funny to hear people mention strategy when EQ had very little. Some crowd control and linking of targeting. High tech, skillful gaming indeed.
Yeah, bring up how Pantheon is going to look and it's all "I don't care about the graphics, it's about the gameplay for me". But talk about WOW, and suddenly graphics matter.

It's like listening to ugly women bash hot women, where they point out their sharp elbows and minor butt sag. But talk about how they look themselves, and suddenly they're all like "Looks aren't everything, I have a great personality"

Pantheon is going to be the ugly hambeast of MMOs, LOL

• 7Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 9 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have been saying VR mmo for a while now, anyone who want to capture lighting in a bottle would do this and not Vaporware fraud like Brad. Graphics could suck dick and game could be buggy as long as it feels like an escape to a new world people would love it.

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The issue with VR is that there isn't a userbase to support an mmo yet, and what little userbase there is is spread across a multitude of systems/devices with varying degrees of performance power. There is at least one available now that I can't remember the name of, but it's a novelty game at best. It's going to take several generational leaps in the tech to get it where it needs to be to support one, let alone one on the level of something like WoW.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I have been saying VR mmo for a while now, anyone who want to capture lighting in a bottle would do this and not Vaporware fraud like Brad. Graphics could suck dick and game could be buggy as long as it feels like an escape to a new world people would love it.
Are you trying to summon tyen tyen ? Because that's how you summon tyen tyen

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The issue with VR is that there isn't a userbase to support an mmo yet, and what little userbase there is is spread across a multitude of systems/devices with varying degrees of performance power. There is at least one available now that I can't remember the name of, but it's a novelty game at best. It's going to take several generational leaps in the tech to get it where it needs to be to support one, let alone one on the level of something like WoW.
Regarding VR, we still have to solve the problem of movement. Anything where you have to move around (while you're not moving in reality) gives motion sickness to the vast majority of people. The illusion of standing still is the only real antidote so far, which makes racing games, space sims, and any game where you move in a vehicle work, and any game where you walk, run or anything else a piece of shit experience.

And no. Treadmills where you can move your limbs don't really work; the problem is at the top of your body, not the bottom. When you have VR helmets that manipulate your inner ear, then you can have a VR MMORPG.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Flipping teams, barely anything released, a shill Alpha that they keep begging for money for, and adding convoluted systems onto an already delayed game brings you hope?

Hungry dogs eat from the trash I guess

And yet you'll still play and call us Jerry's Kids when we wipe. I look forward to it.

• 1Salty

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
VR is not the answer. Graphic tech doesn't make for a great game/mmo. Ever.