Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Very good points about launching this now.

Probably will never have the dedicated audience like this again. (At least for 3 more months)

People are so bored they would happily test it and lower expectations.

If they wait until next year, most will be happily outside not giving a shit about computers.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Yes, people will stop gaming after the Corona virus lockdown has ended...
No, but gaming time WILL be more limited for a vast majority of folks, after real life becomes real life again. It wont be "well, I can't go to the bar on Friday night. Lets fuck around with a new game" . Instead, it will be "Fuck yeah, lets go to the bar tonight"

Why does everyone see shit in hyperbolic black and white?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's a dumb argument, sorry. If they can't last in a normal gaming environment it doesn't matter if they get some traction in a coronavirus gaming environment. Which is still completely lol worthy as an idea anyway.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
No, but gaming time WILL be more limited for a vast majority of folks, after real life becomes real life again. It wont be "well, I can't go to the bar on Friday night. Lets fuck around with a new game" . Instead, it will be "Fuck yeah, lets go to the bar tonight"

Why does everyone see shit in hyperbolic black and white?

Pantheon's (niche) target audience doesn't go to bars.

Your argument is invalid.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It's a dumb argument, sorry. If they can't last in a normal gaming environment it doesn't matter if they get some traction in a coronavirus gaming environment. Which is still completely lol worthy as an idea anyway.

I mean, I will be happy to concede that argument.

Sorry, I am just in a bad fucking mood today, I guess, and picked your post to attack.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
I was just thinking about all the Early Access MMO's out there these days, and how much I hate it.

I can't even start to get excited playing an Early Access game, and I don't think I'm alone. People inevitably review it and rate it poorly for dumb shit that comes with being 'Early Access', and it creates a death spiral.

You dont like paying money to alpha test a game that has progressively less incentive to advance development for each new person jumping in?

That's craaaaaaaazy.

Its stressful enough doing that when it's free, or they're paying you.

I cant imagine paying to faithfully early access, compiling page after page and list after list of shit that needs to get fixed, going months of minor updates where maybe 1 of those is partially addressed and repeating that until launch or death, while the game is utter gobshit in between.

I've done that for legit MMOs for decades, they at least knew not to charge for it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really the people that are really dedicated to this game being something, weren't gonna go outside much anyways.

Each month that goes on you run the risk of losing even your dedicated. Add the fact that Ashes of Creation looks like it's coming together, New World, EQs TLP carousel, and a new WoW expansion etc... It just doesn't look good. They should really consider rushing and throwing together / finishing 4 or 5 zones and launching this thing in early access. At least you some get some kind of money in, and maybe get publishers that way?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Really the people that are really dedicated to this game being something, weren't gonna go outside much anyways.

Each month that goes on you run the risk of losing even your dedicated. Add the fact that Ashes of Creation looks like it's coming together, New World, EQs TLP carousel, and a new WoW expansion etc... It just doesn't look good. They should really consider rushing and throwing together / finishing 4 or 5 zones and launching this thing in early access. At least you some get some kind of money in, and maybe get publishers that way?

This is where they really needed Brad. He's been a part of three somewhat successful releases. Has anyone else there been a part of even one? There comes a point where you just have to launch and I agree they are really close to that point. I doubt anyone there knows how to even get this thing out and I see what little interest people once had quickly fading as those options you mention get people involved in something tangible again. Brad dying was the absolute worst thing that could happen to this game.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Dude, they aren't anywhere close to being ready to launch. If this game were one zone and one dungeon, they wouldn't be close to launching. Only way this gets out the door is if they get a bigger studio to absorb them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Dude, they aren't anywhere close to being ready to launch. If this game were one zone and one dungeon, they wouldn't be close to launching. Only way this gets out the door is if they get a bigger studio to absorb them.

Don't confuse 'they have to launch' with 'they're ready to launch' ;)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
make-sure-to-stretch-before-launching-into-a-full-scorpion-x-gifs-21.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
At this rate, they should strive for the Duke Nukem effect, drag out development for 20+ years so they get the "this game has been in development forever" crowd.

As soon as they open the doors people are going to realize how sad it is compared to modern games.

Releasing early is the worst thing they could do for an MMO. These types of games need a LOT of content out of the gate with the promise of more and more content every 3-6 months. They simply aren't capable of producing that yet... or ever.

They need a strong launch for this to possibly be successful. Need to milk every $ in that first month(s) for this game to have a chance at longevity.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Was browsing the Pantheon reddit thread and initially I thought this had to be a troll.

ohmy.jpg

• 1Picard

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, what's the over/under that they normally live off government checks anyway? :p

• 1Worf