Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

I just read the write up on the dwarves, and I love it.

One thing in particular I noted was that there are Trolls on Terminus that were pushed back to the swamps as a result of the Troll wars. Could this possibly be the Trolls of Inothule Swamp and become a playable race later
smile.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
"While the player can combine abilities into various sets, true power comes from combining a number of abilities from the same heroes creating a special ability set called a Hero's Essence.

A form of advanced ability set, hero essences can grow through use like other ability sets, but they have higher tiers and when advanced fully some of these essences will allow the player to take on the look of that hero granting them access to more paths of power."
That sounds like something that will be available in the game itself somehow as well, right?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I think the point was more that Brad would "anonymously" back it himself to hit the goal. Like it's 250k short, he throws in 250k, loses the 5% or whatever Kickstarter charges, makes his 250k back and nets an additional 510k.
i brought this up to him via pm on pjp, he said he agrees with that strategy

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys pardon me. I now work for Brad, and am going to reveal one of the new famed monsters you will have to battle in Panthoen.

The Brown Bear.

"Deep inside the forest, is a door into another land. Here is their life and home. They are staying here forever in the beauty of this place all alone...and then the fucking dwarves came. And the bears cried, "Maybe...There's a world where we don't have to run...And maybe... There's a time we'll call our own... Livin' free in harmony and majesty... take me hoooome.... Take me home" But that song lasted about as long as it took the King of the Dwarves, Michael Ironside, to instruct his Dwarven Army they need bear pelts to create leather holding straps to fight off the oncoming ogre raider threat. For it's Tuesday, at 11:30am, and they always come at the end of the hour every hour. "I NEED 10! 10 PELTS!" But... what they didn't know when they ventured into the forest, was that the elves knew one thing the Dwarves didn't. And his name... was Ben. Please donate $5,000,000 to hear more about Ben.

Thanks.

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think some of it is desperation. They see how this is trending, both in money and backers. They need to do something to get more per day, this project can't even clear 10k in a day. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at it even it means handing out what I would deem 'pay to win' items. They'll worry about the fallout when the game releases (although then that begs the question, if you keep on giving handouts that people can pay for, how unbalanced are things going to be once you go live?)
"Oh, we didn't get the sub numbers we expected. Here's a cash shop with bank slots, bag slots, xp potions, mounts, armor skins, etc." Not that much of a stretch from our current "Oh, our kickstarter isn't working. Here's some add-ons with bank slots, bag slots, mount, and specialized classes." I can see it. At this point just hoping it doesn't happen. It wouldn't be the first MMO I have wasted money on though. /looks at FFXIV collectors edition box

One thing in particular I noted was that there are Trolls on Terminus that were pushed back to the swamps as a result of the Troll wars. Could this possibly be the Trolls of Inothule Swamp and become a playable race later
smile.png
Yes, and I really love the EQ1 allusions. It all just keeps pointing in the right direction for me.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"While the player can combine abilities into various sets, true power comes from combining a number of abilities from the same heroes creating a special ability set called a Hero's Essence.

A form of advanced ability set, hero essences can grow through use like other ability sets, but they have higher tiers and when advanced fully some of these essences will allow the player to take on the look of that hero granting them access to more paths of power."
I knew you had that ready lol.. I asked Brad about it. He said it can potentially lead to a rare spell or ability for your class. It sounds like something that is built up over time.. Without knowing how rare, or abundant they are in the world, you can't really say they are some kind of game breaking item..

Besides that.. If the team wants to give one to the people supporting this project, they absolutely should. I'm doubting any of this stuff will be game breaking. It never is.

but hey, if it is, you can keep doing what you're doing.. not supporting=P

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
That sounds like something that will be available in the game itself somehow as well, right?
Yeah. But from other posts by Brad, he made it sound like these were the rare type of abilities that would differentiate people. Some might disagree, but if you can instantly get something by paying that someone would have to work weeks or months for, then it's P2W for me. Something like an extra bag is not, but we all have different definitions.

Of course, this is speculation (on both sides), but it doesn't sound promising to me.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad Brad is adding paid benefits. It shows he is desperate and trying his best to get this thing funded somehow. I won't play this enough for P2W types things to matter and I don't buy those anyways. But if this helps him get funded, go Brad! Brad has done a pretty good job this past week. What has killed both him and this KS is the lack of prep beforehand and thinking he could do the same stuff as in 1997. The game of development is different and he should have prepared more. Just having some very experienced guys on your side isn't quite the same as it once was.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If a brown bear shits in the woods and nobody is around to see it, is there too much brown?
There is never enough brown. Here's hoping they use the same color palette as Vanguard.

On another note, how hard would it be for a MMO company to prevent complete data mining so there is still some semblance of the unknown in a game?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

smile.png
Probably some crazy stretch goal like 4.5 million. I'd worry about them getting their office chairs and servers first, which I guess is what the 800k will cover (if it does).

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey guys pardon me. I now work for Brad, and am going to reveal one of the new famed monsters you will have to battle in Panthoen.

The Brown Bear.

"Deep inside the forest, is a door into another land. Here is their life and home. They are staying here forever in the beauty of this place all alone...and then the fucking dwarves came. And the bears cried, "Maybe...There's a world where we don't have to run...And maybe... There's a time we'll call our own... Livin' free in harmony and majesty... take me hoooome.... Take me home" But that song lasted about as long as it took the King of the Dwarves, Michael Ironside, to instruct his Dwarven Army they need bear pelts to create leather holding straps to fight off the oncoming ogre raider threat. For it's Tuesday, at 11:30am, and they always come at the end of the hour every hour. "I NEED 10! 10 PELTS!" But... what they didn't know when they ventured into the forest, was that the elves knew one thing the Dwarves didn't. And his name... was Ben. Please donate $5,000,000 to hear more about Ben.

Thanks.
biggrin.png

I'm glad Brad is adding paid benefits. It shows he is desperate and trying his best to get this thing funded somehow. I won't play this enough for P2W types things to matter and I don't buy those anyways. But if this helps him get funded, go Brad! Brad has done a pretty good job this past week. What has killed both him and this KS is the lack of prep beforehand and thinking he could do the same stuff as in 1997. The game of development is different and he should have prepared more. Just having some very experienced guys on your side isn't quite the same as it once was.
rrr_img_58494.jpg

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There is never enough brown. Here's hoping they use the same color palette as Vanguard.

On another note, how hard would it be for a MMO company to prevent complete data mining so there is still some semblance of the unknown in a game?
Absolutely impossible. Playing the game and writing shit down is data mining and since everyone and their mother is going to be in alpha and beta, everything that was playable would be well known by the time an actual release occurred. Even original EQ, after a little while, had tons of information available online.

The only way to have some unknown is to have random/dynamic elements (but even those would probably have a pattern). One reason Storybricks could be cool for EQN (big question there, though).

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

The Brown Bear.

Thanks.
Ut, you just got a new pledge! Can I hear moar please? I'm glad it wasn't a black bear because those interfere with the kind of background scenery I enjoy in these games. It affects my immersion.

Troy, what exactly is there to talk about then? The amazing concept art? The combat doc? The starting cities? Oh, the dwarves right? We should talk about that new race he just invented out of the blue? Dwarves, humans, elves...all the unique things right?