Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The whole colored mana idea was Brad's baby. People told him it was dumb, but he just keeps with it. I think it's pointless and potentially convoluted.
Colored Mana works great in an RPG: the single best RPG boardgame's (Magic Realm) mana system is color based.

The most well known colored mana system is probably MTG - but that's not a very good implementation of colored mana: in a game of MTG you end up with either too little mana early or way too much mana late. In MR, you are never mana screwed to start but you also never have too much mana, casters have to carefully manage their mana pool: allocating phases to unfatiguing and enchanting chits or tiles or seeking out sources of colored magic.

With respect to classes: colored mana systems are another resource you can use to define classes. In MR you've got the sorcerer which is a standard Wiz blaster type with access only to purple magic but he can start the game with a very large mana pool. (e.gMagic Realm Sorcerer ex 2 Week 1 on Vimeo) You've got a couple of chars who can use and create two colors but can't start with as large a mana pool and finally you've got the Magician who can access every color except white. However the Magician is severely limited in his ability to create colored magic so his ability to cast almost any spell color is balanced by his mana pool restrictions.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Scouts and tanks don't use mana..

Shit game already...

Fucking coloured mana? Seriously this is all this game has..

How about great combat, lush zones, lovely story? Jesus get the priority right before you do the MANA do the combat..And fucks sake like someone said just do one zone/dungeon really well rather than make Bradworld with fuck all in it and 20 hours of travel with 400 hours to get mount bollox. TBH nobody wants eq back, it was a mistake then but a good one, now it would be utter fail to make shit like sitting for mana + books for spells..Nobody really wants all that shit..Maybe camping, MAYBE if it's done well...People just wont want all that shit..

Joppa_VR

Pantheon Team
before you do the MANA do the combat
Mana is a combat mechanic...just like Hit Points, Armor Class, Stamina/Endurance, resource regeneration, damage tables, etc.

In other words, "doing the combat" is synonymous with "doing" all of these systems, including mana.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Mana is a combat restriction. Not a set of actions relaying information to the server.

Unless of course your mana pool relays information to the server based on character input (like shapes I drew with my mouse inside the mana pool registered as spell cast inputs)

In which case you can have my money if that's true.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Is the game supposed to have hybrid classes? I could understand the different types of mana in that case. Otherwise, that crap is just dumb.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Is the game supposed to have hybrid classes? I could understand the different types of mana in that case. Otherwise, that crap is just dumb.
I won't defend the non-implementation in a mostly non-existent game (Pantheon) but with respect to colored mana in RPGS generally, you have no idea what you're talking about. Go play a couple hundred games of Realmspeak and get back to me. Properly done it creates an interesting dynamic between limited spell access/large single color mana pool and extensive spell access/small multiple colored mana pools. Whether Pantheon gets this dynamic right is an entirely different issue from whether colored magic is, in general, a good idea (yes, in general its a good idea).

Note:
I'm going to continue call anyone dissing colored magic generally an idiot (as opposed to a specific implementation - as I said I have some issues with MTG's implementation, none really with MR's implementation).

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Just put him on ignore like the rest of us.
And what happens? Without my wisdom to guide one, one might end up posting idiotic shit like this:

Mana is a combat restriction. Not a set of actions relaying information to the server.

Unless of course your mana pool relays information to the server based on character input (like shapes I drew with my mouse inside the mana pool registered as spell cast inputs)

In which case you can have my money if that's true.
Because you would totally store info about your mana pool on the client and not the server? Oh wait, you wouldn't do that at all unless you were a complete moron.

That information would reside on the server along with information about character hit points and if you wanted to display that information on the client or update that information on the server based on keys you are pressing or events that are occuring, you might, maybe, possibly send messages back and forth between the client and the server during combat to update the information on the server and the display of that information on the client.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So.... apparently one of the "developers" of Pantheon has been skulking around my P99s guilds TS trying to get feedback and early alpha testers.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
PvP in MMO's, unless specifically designed for it, are always bad IMO. WoW had to add in all these rulesets and shit just to make PvP work in their game. I'd prefer if they pretended PvP doesn't exist and not worry about it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
PvP in MMO's, unless specifically designed for it, are always bad IMO. WoW had to add in all these rulesets and shit just to make PvP work in their game. I'd prefer if they pretended PvP doesn't exist and not worry about it.
Well, I think having opinions means my opinion is also a universal fact and everything should be designed how I personally prefer and if it's not I will declare it to be bad or broken.

And WoW didn't have to do shit but turn pvp on. Instead, adding all the rules and instances didn't make pvp work, it made pvp into a pointless sparring match between foxy-boxing sluts slap hugging. Some of us still want real pvp as defined by it being in a living world worth fighting over and for. The problem is pussies think PvP is something you queue up for and load, instead of something that simply exists. I'd prefer if they put shitting, boring ass no-risk pve in pre-fab instances or just not bothering worrying about it at all.

Actually, I don't really care, just find the 'leave pvp out of my game' stuff is so passe these days. We all know the key to a good game isn't what rulesets they have, but whether the game creates a dynamic, engaging world, pvp or not. The problem with pvp is it gets a bad wrap because it's part of shitty pve games, people just aren't ready to admit the pvp isn't killing pve or changing, but rather shitty games with limited scope are killing both.