Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That being said, I have a friend who felt it was wholly impossible to find a guild in WoW and that it was Blizzard's failure to provide adequate tools to meet people similar to him. Shrug.
While it's not impossible to find guilds, I think there's a distinctive lack of guild recruitment tools. We're still stuck in the era of city-global chat spamming.

Considering about 90% of those recruitment spams consist of "guild at level X/13 in NM/HM, Y/13 in HM/MM, looking for class/specs A, B & C, ilvl 710+, plz send tell to officers Soandso", it should be relatively easy to design a generic recruitment tool, with a few additional features.

kaxfenix

N00b
I liked EQ2s recruitment tool. It gets the most important information out there.

I still think the best recruitment tool is a good website, with a great news feed showing all the cool stuff your guild does.
Even if not so significant. If your guild website can portray a strong guild community, especially show casing exactly what makes your guild
better than the other 11-ty billion other guilds out there you will have a lot of applicants.

This especially works if your guild doesn't garner the attention of say the best on the server/bleeding edge, those guilds are able to recruit and be extremely selective based on their guild merits.

But if you are forming a new guild, or your guild is say on average is middle of the road, showcasing a strong community will get you the apps you need and most cases be less filled of douche/teenager "leet dudes" looking for just a stepping stone.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly... have some of you people even played an MMORPG in the last 5 years? The frequent comments like this make me believe otherwise. This is just a general rant, and I'm not picking on you personally Miele.

There are MMORPGs where LFR does not exist. Some of these MMORPGs have a dungeon finder, and guest what? Even if they do exist not everybody uses them. There are still people standing around camp fires manually LFG. I know because I do it every day. In fact, it is the agreed upon MOST EFFECTIVE means of finding a decent group in the games I frequent. Guilds still form and plan raid schedules. People still form deep and meaningful online relationships in many many many games. There are MMORPGs that have uninstanced PVP. There are MMORPGs with public dungeons, that have respawning boss MOBs with specific loot tables. There are MMORPGs with robust local player driven economies that exist outside of global auction houses. Yeah, quests have markers. Big fucking deal. Everyone who completed their epic without checking out castersrealm/allakhazam please raise your hand. *crickets*

Seriously. You haven't played an MMORPG in years. Give it up. Those of us that have, don't believe you if you say otherwise. Stop lying to yourselves and everyone around you. It's fucking weird.

MMORPGs have always been, and will always be, exactly what you make of them.

/rant off
I'm late replying to this, but RL kept me quite busy: I don't complain about features that ruin the good old days, because the old days were good for different reasons: I was younger, had more free time, EQ was new, etc.
I'm stating what I said above because, with the exception of GW2, every other MMO I played (not many admittely) was a carbon copy of the WoW model, except worse. This makes me do a few considerations:

1) In the end WoW is the best of them, so why change? Settings? Possibly.
2) The open world is less important and/or impactful, just a tool to level up. Exploration is rarely rewarded, even if only in terms of sightseeing and "been there, done that".
3) At the level cap, or "end game" as it's usually labeled, the persistant world is pointless.
4) The layers of complexity have been reduced, sometimes with a positive effect, sometimes not, but I guess this is based on the audience taste.
5) The amount of gameplay (tasks required to access certain zones, for example) sacrificed in the name of accessibility has been in my opinion too much. Nobody wants PoP attunements anymore, but even a single keyquests is frowned upon instead of providing extra content, if only for a night or two.

So no, I wasn't complaining about MMOs becoming single player games, but how they transitioned to a diablo-esque playing style: login, select content, port group in zone, kill, loot, logout.

Sorry for the late reply.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked EQ2s recruitment tool. It gets the most important information out there.

I still think the best recruitment tool is a good website, with a great news feed showing all the cool stuff your guild does.
Even if not so significant. If your guild website can portray a strong guild community, especially show casing exactly what makes your guild
better than the other 11-ty billion other guilds out there you will have a lot of applicants.

This especially works if your guild doesn't garner the attention of say the best on the server/bleeding edge, those guilds are able to recruit and be extremely selective based on their guild merits.

But if you are forming a new guild, or your guild is say on average is middle of the road, showcasing a strong community will get you the apps you need and most cases be less filled of douche/teenager "leet dudes" looking for just a stepping stone.
I actually prefer in-game mechanics these days. I'm a bit sick of logging into 15 different websites each day to check shit and I don't care enough about Guild drama/community in the sense we did back in EQ. If I am truly close with guild-mates we'll chat in game, skype(text), phone or whatever other normal mechanic exists. I'd much prefer guilds be completely interwoven with the game.

-Searching for a guild with similar interests and people. You can post a server-wide application or search for guilds by their activity/content level or something
-Full messaging suites in game for guilds
-DKP/Attendence/point systems all built in
etc....

Maybe this is just an overlap of the "im too old for MMOs" thread, but I'd much rather have the entire process and system all in-game.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Relevant to a few pages but, Ut, it looks like they just announced an official working title for that Kara concept.
biggrin.png
Detroit: Become Human

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I like everything in that except the name. Detroit is a third of it's size from the 1950 census. There were more people living there in 1920 and every year there is less and less reason to be there. Just call the game Milwaukee and be done with it lol. At least it's expanding.