Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
My buddy said he was stoked for open beta for this so I figured I’d come take a look, maybe get a chuckle or two at some internet drama.

Saw a pretty cool gif instead. I feel I came out ahead.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

HOLY SHIT! The gravity defying has spread enough that even 14 year olds have it figured out.

Good fucking lord! Is that kid an alien?! Zay Jones was supposedly the only human that could accomplish that feat of daring! It was all over the internet and Donald Trump even gave him a medal it was so unbelievable!

With that said, I now understand why people here are so impressed with this game lol! Living in caves helps a lot. I have a video of this amazing new toy just for you guys. It's out of this world!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This discussion is way more interesting than talking about Pantheon.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
I dont watch TV...its all Netflix or HBO Go so I had never seen that gif...when I seen it on here I just thought it was just played in reverse, its actually quite good but wouldnt say life changing or anything

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
...I don't see what the big deal is? The guy's an exceptional athlete at the top of his game. Of course he can do some crazy shit.

fuck, I'm going to levitate back into my office now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Depths of Darkhollow. I suppose it would be DOD, but I remember (at the time it was a thing) that everyone used DoDH. However, I'm willing to change!

DoDH was the last thing that can sort of be called "EQ" by the standard EQ player. It went heavily into instancing, heavily into the "monster player" archetype, and heavily into progression being tied to the individual/group/guild vs. direct competition vs. other players. It also still had a lot of the holdovers from the past, with entrance keys being a community enabled mob camp, etc. I would almost argue that the Omens of War expansion was the final nail, but it still had a lot of the normal "Hey camp this crap" type mentality with it.

Anyway, that's when I personally think that the old EQ vs. the New EQ argument flips. You can't say Old and New are the same, and the gameplay reflects that to a major degree. But it wasn't until DoDH that it was so clearly obvious that the times, they were a-changin.

I remember that was the monster mission craze back then in DoDH. Before they nerfed it, you could do monster missions for like 7-8 AA a pop (or like 3/4 of a level if you were leveling still). Back then it was amazing for 30 min work. We would run them non stop, especially the High Hold Keep one. Where you were goblins or some shit attacking the keep.

Wasnt it also the expansion that changed all the noob zones, like Neriak forest and Oasis and desert Ro and shit like that?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think Oasis and the Ro's were a later expansion, but Nektulos was definitely graphically molested by DoDH. Right after Lavastorm was redone in Dragons of Norrath.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't fathom paying more for early access to a game than I would pay to buy the game itself. And I can't see paying $1,000 for an untested, unfinished game made by an unstable amateur company with zero aaa releases under its belt. But that's just me.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
But guys.... you can become one of the fallen?! I think you may even get credited?

giphy.gif

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
On one hand Visionary Realms is tacitly admitting that they are so clueless about what kind of game they're making that they're willing to listen to the advice of a bunch of randos with absolutely zero game design experience. Nobody with a fraction of a clue about game design would even consider paying $1000 for the "opportunity" to do creative work. The pay wall is a guarantee that VR will recieve nearly zero good advice from their "testers". Some of them will probably suggest things that are right for the same reason that a broken clock is still occasionally right though.

On the other hand VR might actually be smart enough that they're just milking these clueless suckers for some easy cash while they're still 2 years away from releasing anything with as much content as The Mines Of Gloomingdeep.

On the other other hand, maybe VR thinks that these mentally retarded whales are going to generate enough "viral word of mouth grass roots advertising" that letting them peek behind the scenes and see how the sausage is made is not going to be a source of permanent and irreversible embarrassment to VR.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mother of God. Pre-alpha access is $1,000.00 and up.

One. Thousand. Fucking. Dollars.

These fucking inventors still haven't learned from their Kickstarter rewards tier debacles.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Get Involved

The difference the $3000 package gives you over the $1000 package is literally +6 months more subscription and a "Limited Edition Framed Print".

Not like anyone should be paying these prices for this sham, but what the fuck? This team is just god damn retarded at this point.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's the Star Citizen development plan! Brad just needs to start selling individual armor pieces and weapon concept art to people.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Couple of my old EQ2 guildmates bought the $1K pledge for pre-alpha. Long story short, we are no longer friends :smuggly::smuggly::smuggly:

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On one hand Visionary Realms is tacitly admitting that they are so clueless about what kind of game they're making that they're willing to listen to the advice of a bunch of randos with absolutely zero game design experience. Nobody with a fraction of a clue about game design would even consider paying $1000 for the "opportunity" to do creative work. The pay wall is a guarantee that VR will recieve nearly zero good advice from their "testers". Some of them will probably suggest things that are right for the same reason that a broken clock is still occasionally right though.

On the other hand VR might actually be smart enough that they're just milking these clueless suckers for some easy cash while they're still 2 years away from releasing anything with as much content as The Mines Of Gloomingdeep.

On the other other hand, maybe VR thinks that these mentally retarded whales are going to generate enough "viral word of mouth grass roots advertising" that letting them peek behind the scenes and see how the sausage is made is not going to be a source of permanent and irreversible embarrassment to VR.

PoE does something similar, or used to not sure they do anymore, but it's basically a process where the user submit a general idea, then they work with a dev into refiining it and making it fit into the game. For PoE you make unique items, you'd say for example I want a sword that summons something to fight with you and that does fire damage, and then they'd work out what the summon is exactly, in terms of what's possible without a huge load on the model/graphics team(so you'd just take an existing spectre or animated weapon model) and then work on balancing the stats. If the item is too strong it'd be balanced by either having downsides(some of which might be suggested by the creator, some proposed) or having high rarity or being stuck as a lower level item so it's only good for a leveling.

Here you're supposed to design a dungeon or raid, but that kinda sounds like figuring out the general theme and then letting them do the thing I'd assume, and not actually designing everything in detail. Maybe you get to do a boss in terms of how it plays out, like a vampire that charms and has multiple forms or whatever, but I doubt it'd be much more involved than that. Like it wouldn't be too much of an issue in these terms, the guy who paid wants a plant theme dungeon with a giant plant boss at the end, and then the devs just make it with maybe some minor input past that, it's not like the person would get to balance things and draw the maps, place the camps and design all the drops or whatever, I'd assume.

The pricing seems retarded though.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here you're supposed to design a dungeon or raid, but that kinda sounds like figuring out the general theme and then letting them do the thing I'd assume, and not actually designing everything in detail. Maybe you get to do a boss in terms of how it plays out, like a vampire that charms and has multiple forms or whatever, but I doubt it'd be much more involved than that. Like it wouldn't be too much of an issue in these terms, the guy who paid wants a plant theme dungeon with a giant plant boss at the end, and then the devs just make it with maybe some minor input past that, it's not like the person would get to balance things and draw the maps, place the camps and design all the drops or whatever, I'd assume.

The pricing seems retarded though.

Is this seriously how VR is operating? Is there a public source for this or do you need to pay for the privilege of even seeing what level of The Bridge your next donation to VR will unlock?

I swear to Xenu the only thing more retarded than the pricing is the people who are actually paying. These people make the Star Citizen whales look like Wall Street investor gurus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user