Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think a_skeleton_03 was the one that got me the Alpha invite. From there, I got in three other friends and proceeded to have a ball raiding with the guild. Fast forward to the beta "events" that they started having and you could tell they were gutting a lot of stuff. I agree, when retail hit... it was just.. different? Boring? Bland? None of us lasted over a month into retail.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Rift was definitely one of the better MMOs out there back in days.

rift 2010-12-30 19-41-33-60.png

2011-03-06_125647.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because it wasn't toned down and you had to stop and think about your build and group at certain dungeon bosses. Just like Vanguard though Rift was full of bugged raids, skills, and gear which all of the test guilds mostly took advantage of. Once the raid content gets decimated in days after release it leaves raiders pretty bored the next few months. I cant even count the number of raid exploits like being able to use reflect on any major boss ability was GG. This is the kind of stuff IMO you always see in any game with private raid testing. From my perspective thats what for raiders at least makes a game stale quick. I def kept some shit that helped us private also in those games from raid testing also.

Beta in the open world had nonstop invasions, especially towards the end when they were testing limits. That was so much fun. Then the game was released and... meh. Huge step down. I liked Rift for the first few months, but I can remember thinking back then that the tail end of beta was more fun. That first world event (dead something?) after release was also pretty good.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Beta in the open world had nonstop invasions, especially towards the end when they were testing limits. That was so much fun. Then the game was released and... meh. Huge step down. I liked Rift for the first few months, but I can remember thinking back then that the tail end of beta was more fun. That first world event (dead something?) after release was also pretty good.
Yeah, i remember the invasions being awesome in beta then expecting them to be like that at launch and was so let down.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’ll donate a few $oybucks to any game that gives me a pvp zone like Darkness Falls in DAoC.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dracula's Crew

Molten Core Raider
I always felt the combat was really bland and stiff (entirely too macroable). The world was really fucking boring too. None of the lore characters or stories stood out. It just felt very hub-ish and sluggish.

Agreed to he max. I really didnt' give a shit what was happening in the game or could even tell you the story about the lore. I also hated having to min/max my single macro key that was all my DPS abilities.

• 1Solidarity

Endymion

Trakanon Raider
Rift was definitely one of the better MMOs out there back in days.

Not to turn the Pantheon thread from an EQ nostalgia thread into a RIft nostalgia thread instead or anything, but man, those screenshots make me sad. Even though I loved Rift's dungeons and raids early in its lifespan (particularly the experts at launch and Hammerknell), I wish they would've leaned a little harder into the dynamic event stuff instead because doing that stuff with my friends was so much fun, even when invasions weren't running rampant like they were pre-release. Especially when they were doing special events like pre-River of Souls and pre-Hammerknell stuff. Unfortunately, the dynamic event stuff wasn't dynamic enough (oh look, another event to clear 100 invasions, 10 Rifts and a mega boss) and it started to lose its luster after a while.

• 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's the natural progression of things though. There are many places on the internet you can go and they're just like, "'Ever'... what now?"

Daidraco

There was just too much shit in Rift that didnt make any sense. Rifts werent logical most of the time. Why would all types of Rifts be hitting the same area at the same time that are all warring with each other? The story of the zone would completely hint at one type of Rift and them being ever present at any turn. So where would the other Rifts come from? Why would they show up there? What exactly were they after? To capture the city? Some of the most lack luster city design I have ever seen, they wanted that?

The random aspect added something to "do" to break up the monotonous questing of Rift, but they never had a point. Instead of 40 players in zone = trigger zone wide rifts, why not as an individual player travels through the zone completing quests.. his actions would cause a rift to open. Then, as that "ONE" player completes the final quest in the zone, it spawns a zone wide event. Each player journeying along that quest triggering just a shit storm of Rift events, then as the zone came to a slow ebb and flow of players, the events did so as well. Then, as they were designing the quests, the jewel of their f'n game, RIFTS, would have been sewn into their quests. Not talked about in third person for 95% of the game.

Wage

Molten Core Raider
I'm surprised to hear anyone talking up Rift. Maybe the worst western developed MMO ever. Garbage 1 button macro combat, stupid setting, ugliest races (those mongoloid dwarves still give me nightmares), idiotic quad-spec hot swap classes, shit tier battleground PvP... fuck that game was trash top to bottom.

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 8 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised to hear anyone talking up Rift. Maybe the worst western developed MMO ever. Garbage 1 button macro combat, stupid setting, ugliest races (those mongoloid dwarves still give me nightmares), idiotic quad-spec hot swap classes, shit tier battleground PvP... fuck that game was trash top to bottom.

The released game definitely was generic and flawed. The beta product was a lot if fun and I enjoyed the class variety and concept a lot. I can't imagine someone calling it the worst developed though. Shadowbane was much worse. AoC was terrible after level 20, same with WHO which had a ton more money sunk into it. Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa, etc, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wage

Molten Core Raider
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I would put WHO in my top 5 MMOs. Hellgate London was not an MMO and is barely a game. Shadowbane, AoC, and Tabula Rasa were flawed but at least they all had a few fun things in them. I'm just surprised anyone could find a single positive to list for Rift.

Daidraco

We had a ball in alpha. But thats kind of telling of how terrible the final product was lol.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Rift easily had the best dungeons of any game other than Secret World.

Riftstalker the teleporting rogue tank was fun as shit, too.

• 1Solidarity

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed Rifts boss achievements too. Making you kill bosses in unusual ways was interesting and required the team to really work together.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed a lot of the classes they created. If I somehow could play a flame wielding healer like the Purifier then slap my ass and call me Ragnaros.

Yep, I loved that you could mix versions of your class to make your own individual choice. I looked up an old example(just example) but this was fun as hell;

Class: Mage
Role 1: DPS - 61 Pyro/ 15 elementalist/ 0 archon
Role 2: Healer - 61 Chloro/ 7 warlock / 8 dominator
Role 3: solo/dps - 44 Harbinger/ 22 chloro / 10 warlock

You could make your guy what you want and as effective as you choose. There were min/max versions that could be copied from others but it was still cool to have that much flexibility. Throw in great dungeons, a very cool rift system early...and it had great promise. They fucked it up quickly but the original ideas were top notch.

WHO had potential but PvP balance was terrible , the endgame was a joke, and feedback response was slow. PQs were a great idea but the leveling experience was very poorly done. I had a lot of fun the first three months but good game? C'mon now. It was very similar to Rift in that bad decisions left a potentially good game from getting there. These are all valid reasons the game went belly up fast; http://www.alteredgamer.com/warhammer-online/44427-what-went-wrong-with-is-it-a-failure/

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users