Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
lol nirgon moving his goalposts constantly. I wouldn't even bother. He's basically a cult member at this point, only death takes away their unwavering faith.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
We just have to extrapolate time. So they're in pre-alpha (roughly 3 years into wow Development or so? It started in 1999 and released in 2004, so 8 years == 3 years.)

Given that, they -should- release in ~6 years. So releasing in 2028 with tech from 2015, if all things are considered equal.

Except that WoW was, while ugly, playable with a working database and several zones/custom character models at this point. So lets say that VR is closer to being at the 2 year point than the 3 year point in equivalent WoW development. So in this scenario, 2 == 8, so we should expect release in about 12 years probably as an upper limit. 2034 with 2015 tech.

Pantheon release window confirmed! 2026-2034! Can't wait.

Also, I can't be mad cuz Brad, because Brad has been deceased for almost 3 solid years; the project may have started with him at the helm, but almost 3 years is a long time without him.

Smirkins' cuz Perkins? I'm at a loss for a shitty tagline.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There's people logging into the server that doesnt exist guys. They can't keep getting away with this.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There's people logging into the server that doesnt exist guys. They can't keep getting away with this.

pantheonheader-590x334.jpg

Brikker

Trump's Staff
haven't been to the MMO section in a long time

Nirgon still trollin this thread?

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Still comparing their rate of development to some 200+ person corpo house :D

The rot is real

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

The rot is real
2026-2034! It's gonna happen!

edit - I'll be extremely clear. I think this will possibly be released. But I think it gets bought out long before VR releases it because, as you've stated repeatedly, they're a tiny studio. A lot of the work seems aimed at trying to interest someone to come in and finish the game. I also think the features as listed today are going to change drastically... just like WoW did. Much of the focus is on shit that nobody who would be interested in this type of game cares about (climbing? c'mon) - this seems heavily like a project that doubles as a tech demo to potential buyers/investors/talent aquisition.

It'll come out! But at the current pace? In 4-12 years. And that is explicitly because of the size of the team; not in spite of it. Nobody is expecting WoW release schedules (even if they are already slow) but given their current state and the current state of other games we know have released, we can extrapolate numbers.

If this comes out (and hey, it's likely it will!) it will be probably in the 5+ year mark from today. That's not a knock on the team; just an extrapolation of where they are at compared to other companies that have released MMOs that we know of in regards to timeline. Though, given the size of the team, I'm leaning that it will be closer to the 2034 upper end of the potential release range. It's difficult to get investors to go into decade+ long investment cycles for a game with an already declared niche audience.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The rot is real

Why not? Having a small team doesn't mean you just don't release anything. A small team means you need to be MORE goal driven and to the point, and do way less bumbling around with gimmicks. If they don't have the manpower to match a real studio, what the fuck is this entire temp mount and taming shit? They need to stop the procrastination of working on stuff that doesn't matter and knock out the base game and core zones. The more they show off that their team has been milling around with useless side projects the less I think they're actually doing. Make the core game FIRST.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think it gets bought out long before
By whom? People who might buy this type of operation would be interested in:

- Useful technology (there is none whatsoever)
- Or, useable assets (very little of that)
- Or, a competent team ready to use (not a bunch of part-timers working on a shoestring)
- Or, an established playerbase (which does not yet exist)
- Or, a potential IP (a what?)

Why would anyone want to waste money in purchasing this for more than a symbolic 1$?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Lol 200 ppl..
Wish i could find the interviews from blizzard guys like pardo. The game was built by like 30 ppl for 3 years before they brought in the rts and arpg guys to play test and show off the game.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
"The zone design/art people need to hurry up and program, the programming people need to hurry up and zone design/produce art."

Love this thread.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5348 Pages... how can we be certain that this isn't the true Pantheon game we've all been sucked in to.

The world's first Forum MMO not an in-game MMO...

200.gif

• 2Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
By whom? People who might buy this type of operation would be interested in:

- Useful technology (there is none whatsoever)
- Or, useable assets (very little of that)
- Or, a competent team ready to use (not a bunch of part-timers working on a shoestring)
- Or, an established playerbase (which does not yet exist)
- Or, a potential IP (a what?)

Why would anyone want to waste money in purchasing this for more than a symbolic 1$?
People have already given this thing a few million to get to the borderline non-existent state that is currently around. I think between now and 2034 if the game doesn't release under VR, that someone will pay for the rights to it and keep floating it money under a new heading. Just look at the TLPs for various games, or the gacha nonsense on mobile - there are people who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars a month without even blinking on wastes of time. The Nirgon Nirgon s of the world will keep this sinking ship afloat for years to come, much like the people who continue to send money to Star Citizen.

I don't think a real company will pick this up, but I can't imagine that the current dev/creative team will last more than a couple more years in this low-pay scam they are involved with.

edit - Basically, I think this (and Star Citizen) are examples of the Sunk Cost fallacy in full display. The people that have donated/"invested" in this can't seem to realize that they are and were throwing bad money after bad. The team is clearly incompetent at least when it comes to producing results, if not other areas (the lackluster art, for example) or the focus on things nobody gives a shit about and didn't even when it was a thing (AOC and climbing.) So I think at this point the people who think this actually comes out are basically thinking "well, we've already put money/hope into this project, and we can't lose our investment in money/hope, because we've already put some into the project" which is why it is still in flight and anyone views it more than a tech demo at absolute best. And it's not even recent or reasonable tech; more the "hey, look at us! We can make games too!" type of tech.

8 years and they are kind of sort of restarting pre-alpha, and still using unity store assets. VR has no real intention of releasing this commercially.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard