Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lysis

N00b
Many people are suggesting a Kickstarter for the Kickstarter and things like that but really this ship has sailed. Fact is simple as this, this Kickstarter is a lie, it's disingenuous at best and a flat out fraud at worse.
Brad would never deceive us.

Two weeks before SOE buys Sigil:

Then a re-launch towards the end of the year that includes the first expansion, one that would addRTS style city building, ship to ship combat, jousting, and a second half of the Kojanese Archipelago that makes ship travel meaningful and by meaningful I mean not tedious, rewarding exploration, with lots of new areas (both in the existing world and in the extension of the archipelago). And Im talking about some re-use of existing art, combined with new art that fits into the existing continents, and then finally some all out new stuff different styles of terrain (islands) and ocean to look at while making your journey to found a new player city while constantly being attacked by exotic sea creatures, leviathans, and other traditional members of fantasy and crypto-zoology.Not to mention pirates with canons, or other players and their ships on the PvP servers.
VNboards has an - Silky Venom

I think the problem is I'm still addicted to clarity.
frown.png

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I don't even think there's a whole lot of shady intentions behind it, it's just that lots of people (especially in leading positions) are terrible at their job. After they've all been fired from their previous positions, they only have themselves to rely own.

Turns out, they're just not very good at what they're trying to do. Maybe there's some passion about the subject, hidden somewhere; maybe they think they've got all the answers, who the fuck knows. But they're definitely terrible at their job.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
To salvage any of this, if possible at all, they need to bust a nut on the info already. Enough of this trickle down theory. Seriously. Get all the infos out, and then answer questions for the next 4 weeks.
There is no info to give. Literally what we have seen is all they have got. They are asking for funding to put together the info you want, this is the kickstarter for the kickstater if you will.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't even think there's a whole lot of shady intentions behind it, it's just that lots of people (especially in leading positions) are terrible at their job. After they've all been fired from their previous positions, they only have themselves to rely own.

Turns out, they're just not very good at what they're trying to do. Maybe there's some passion about the subject, hidden somewhere; maybe they think they've got all the answers, who the fuck knows. But they're definitely terrible at their job.
Last thing this group of cunts really needs though it more understanding and coddling, you are trying to make excuses and say well they are really passionate, but re-watch Brads Q&A.. During his monotone droning on about vague bullshit did you see any passion?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Last thing this group of cunts really needs though it more understanding and coddling, you are trying to make excuses and say well they are really passionate, but re-watch Brads Q&A.. During his monotone droning on about vague bullshit did you see any passion?
I don't know how you got the impression I'm coming up with excuses, I just said they suck what they're doing. I merely said there MIGHT be someone in this team who's all fired up for his work, but this does not mean he's actually good at it.

So yes, they really do need a reality check. Cause if a bunch of amateurs or small fry (like lots of kickstarters) can come up with a better design/idea/marketing than these so called mmo vets, there's something terribly wrong.

Fedor

<Banned>
? its vague but its there. i'll be condescending and re-link the kickstarterPantheon: Rise of the Fallen by Visionary Realms, Inc. Kickstarter

i really don't think its going to get $800,000 in the next month though, butit looks decent for vague pre-alpha
I hope you're not talking about the "pre-alpha screenshots":

Disclaimer: I'm looking forward to the game, onboard with the vision and have already backed.

Brad has said it's placeholder content intended to illustrate their ideas, but wow... every piece of the screenshots are purchased models from the Unity store. I understand that store content is one of the benefits to using Unity and that there is much more to a game other than art assets and perhaps they've built an awesome combat engine and lots of gameplay. Hope there are some nice game systems under this and it's not just models posed in a scene.

Minotaur warrior:Asset Store

Female sorceress:Asset Store

Skeletons with sword:Asset Store

Minimap (with reskin, but look at zoom control):Asset Store

Slash! effect:Asset Store

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
lol shit

i did not realize

damn

what are they going to do, buy $800,000 worth of pre-built unity stuff?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No supposedly the $800K is just to start this shit. (Buy office furniture and PCs and start game design) They will make their own art assets. They will probably need in upwards of $8-10 mil for a full game.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
lol shit

i did not realize

damn

what are they going to do, buy $800,000 worth of pre-built unity stuff?
According to Brad that money will go to pay for the 10 guys working on this while they try to secure more money to do more work.

Hey, it's Vanguard of the KS variety.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
this looks promising, though:

Will think on it. Maybe it's on a zone-by-zone basis.

btw, Vu just emailed me the zones he did in EQ 1 & 2 so i thought I'd share them:

EQ original: Kerra Isle, Rivervale, Grobb, Kaladim, Unrest and Felwithe
Kunark: Sebilis, Chardok, Charasis( Howling Stones) and City of Mist
Velious: Kael Drakkel and Temple of Veeshan
Luclin: Shar Vahl, Paludal Caverns, and Fungus Grove
Planes of Power: Plane of Knowledge, Plane of Torment and Solusek Ro's Tower

EQ2: Enchanted Lands, Rivervale, Orcishwastes, Lavastorm and Soluseks's Eye
Desert of Flames: Sinking Sands
Echos of Faydwer: Butcherblock mountains, Steamfont Mountains.
Rise of Kunark: Kylong Plains
some of my favorite classic EQ zones there, hopefully they keep this guy making original content

that quote that Fedor posted is really sad though. can't believe they just bought pre-built models off of the Unity website and tried to pass them off as their own creation.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
While I love Garriott and UO as much as Brad and EQ, Shroud is not an MMO. This KS deserves criticism. I really wish they'd show more or have done more before exposing it to the world. I abhor the naming of the shadowknight class: troll dark knight just doesn't roll off the tongue like the times of old.

I don't know the reasons behind it: whether it's managerial, laziness, or ineptitude. What I'm trying to stress here is - what realization I'm trying to force into everyone's cerebral cortex is that this is all we have, all there is. There hasn't been an MMO made with the gameplay we're looking for since many of your children have been born. There hasn't been one with us in mind since vanilla WoW or before, at minimum a decade back in 2004 and at most, longer.

I can almost assuredly say this is the last chance this genre has ever. I hope I'm wrong, truly. But I'm also probably the most realist individual on this board (hi Marx) who makes truth a daily concern. There won't be anything else. There will be one thread on this subforum dedicated to EQN, and the rest will be emulators of EQ, UO, and DAoC. As a young-to-middle-aged adult, I truly believe this is the last chance I'll see another EverQuest in my lifetime. I really don't think there will be another one before I'm dust, if there ever will be at all.

This is so far beyond beggars can't be choosers; beggars occasionally get a handout - we've gotten nothing. We're technically a rotting corpse who's asking for life. And while I'll sit here and criticize away because that's what we do to the things we love, I'll never pull my support for this because I know this is all we have left. I don't want to pack my bags.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
this looks promising, though:

some of my favorite classic EQ zones there, hopefully they keep this guy making original content

that quote that Fedor posted is really sad though. can't believe they just bought pre-built models off of the Unity website and tried to pass them off as their own creation.
They didn't try to pass them off. We all knew it except the fanbois
biggrin.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
While I love Garriott and UO as much as Brad and EQ, Shroud is not an MMO. .
Their online mode is essentially an MMO, right? From what I understand, it will work like Diablo. You can play offline, but those characters can never interact with the online mode--online characters though exist in a persistent world, it's essentially an MMO.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
none of us would be here if we weren't EQ fans to some extent =p
ftfy

Looks like they are still on track to do $10,000ish today even with no press. Maybe their strategy will work if they sustain that for the next 3 weeks and see spikes on article release days and at the end.