Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Media probably isn't going to care if there aren't visible injuries yet.

Also if the child is white and not a part of some oppressed group, there won't be interest in a story.
I dunno man, at this point I feel like the white race is actually the oppressed race

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're recommending my son start preschool in january when he's 2 years 9 months. He's actually too smart and they're concerned that no one can challenge him right now. He's starting to do addition and learning to read words. This is the same kid that we were worried would never talk..

I don't know how expensive preschool is but if the dudes gotta go.

I also think he may have an eidetic memory. I know, yeah right? He remembers crazy shit. A year ago my wife showed him a pic of me at my desk at work. The other day I sent one and he asked where the 409 cleaner was. That was on someone else's desk. In the background....

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
They're recommending my son start preschool in january when he's 2 years 9 months. He's actually too smart and they're concerned that no one can challenge him right now. He's starting to do addition and learning to read words. This is the same kid that we were worried would never talk..

I also think he may have an eidetic memory. I know, yeah right? He remembers crazy shit. A year ago my wife showed him a pic of me at my desk at work. The other day I sent one and he asked where the 409 cleaner was. That was on someone else's desk. In the background....
We sent my oldest two to a montessori school. Focuses on the kid individually, and moves them appropriate to their level. Both of my kids moved up to the "other classes" early (3yo group to 4yo group). My youngest will go (and he's about 4 mo older than your kid), but we're going to wait until may or so. The main rule is the child needs to be potty trained (some "assistance required" is ok, but no diaper changing). The reason for the timing is we don't want the younger two going to the school at the same time, so once summer hits, we'll move the middle to day-care provided by the district for incoming kindergarten students (along with his older sister who will be an incoming 2nd grader). Also the youngest has really just started potty training (he refuses to not-shit-in-diapers, and sporadically insists to use the toilet to piss).

Send him to preschool, they can even start providing books that are challenging (or at least recommend them to you). Use/abuse the library system near by to have him read.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well we do a weekly trip to the library and he loves it. We always pick out 6 books and let him play with other kids. He's now into tablet games (learning one's) and it's amazing how fast he picked it up.

Potty training will be an issue.. he just has no care in the world absout shitting his pants and telling no one

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well we do a weekly trip to the library and he loves it. We always pick out 6 books and let him play with other kids. He's now into tablet games (learning one's) and it's amazing how fast he picked it up.

Potty training will be an issue.. he just has no care in the world absout shitting his pants and telling no one
Motivate him by games and books. "No tablet time unless you've pooped on the potty today". It's not working with my current candidate, but it did for the others.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right now we give him a bunch of m&Ms if he just tells us he shit his diaper and it's 10% success rate. And he goes nuts for m&ms

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Maybe negative interaction will be different (or just a whole huge fucking meltdown, I don't really know). Take away something the next time he shits himself.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My oldest son was all done with diapers by 2.5. He started peeing in the toilet at 2 and was consistent with that. Pooping took a little while longer cause (I think most kids do this) he would just wait until the shit ship was sailing and at that point there was no chance of making it to the bathroom. We just started throwing him in underwear and he only shit them once or twice and that was that.

My youngest is 2 and has absolutely no interest in doing anything but putting toys in the toilet...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My son walks over to it bends over and makes huge shit noises from his mouth because he's a comedian. Also his toys shit there. He knows...

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My kid just has no interest in peeing or pooping in the toilet unless we sit him down. He'd rather play than stop what he is doing. We've started putting him in underwear outside of sleeping or away from home. We'll take him to go potty like every hour and reward him with m&Ms when he does.

He will still shit himself even in the underwear. Did that tonight after dinner even after I asked him 5 minutes before if he had to pee or poop. We make a deal of putting the poop in the training potty and flushing it. Still doesn't seem interested in doing it on his own.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My second youngest had no interest in potty training. He was three and still shitting his pants. We had him on the pot, he periodically did his business there. He obviously had a very good understanding of what the expectation was, but he wasn't interested.

Until preschool. We told the teachers he was still in diapers and such, and a few weeks later we had noticed that no diapers had been used during the day. At preschool he used the toilet without prompting. Fucker still shit himself on weekends for a while, but within a month of starting preschool he was done with diapers during the day, and very shortly after that he was done with them at night, too.

And preschool is as expensive as you want it to be. The bloody Montessori school here is $18K a year for preschool. Fuck that noise. We found a great place that was $150 a week, had excellent reviews, and was government certified. They even provided lunch, and were totally open to parents hanging around to see what was up when your kid was there. Each class had a teacher and an aid, and about 8 kids. It was awesome.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I'm not interested in a private preschool like that. Just run of the mill place.

Tonight is terrible. It's 115 and he refuses to sleep. Keeps talking about bugs everywhere.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah I'm not interested in a private preschool like that. Just run of the mill place.

Tonight is terrible. It's 115 and he refuses to sleep. Keeps talking about bugs everywhere.

This is why you don't give them meth.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Montessori schools are good, if they are done right, they must be done right and you must have a path. The preschool my kids are at, that is part of the K-12 private school she teaches at, is Montessori - and they are borderline "done well"

Montessori is great for as long as they are in a Montessori environment - when they move - whenever it is - to the "standard" grade level oriented schools if not transitioned it can lead to a bigger disruption to their education than it should.

However Montessori schools also tend to allow you to "see" what kind of student your children will be - my oldest was social, she advanced herself in social settings and social interactions and would befriend everyone and gain acceptance and fellowship in a wide spectrum. The actual "learning" part of her, is lower she does not naturally want to or seek out "advancement" of X or Y - other than in regards to her ability to flourish her social agenda and circle - if the group advances in an academic field she will - because she wants to lead and be the "everyone's friend" so her educational stuff is based upon being able to rub shoulders with everyone in the class - so that does keep her typically above the middle as she has to hob-nob with the "smart kids" as well.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

We did pre-school starting at just over 2yrs old for our daughter. Granted it was 3 days a week for 3 hours a day (sometimes an additional hour or 2 with lunch time and an enrichment class), but like your son, she really needed the challenge and interaction with other kids outside of the core group of kids she played with at the time. She's did 5 days a week the following year and is in 5 days again this year. It is pretty crazy to see the difference in reading, writing/spelling and simple math and reasoning abilities between her (and the other kids we know who have had 3 years of pre-school) and the ones in her class this year just doing it for 1 year as pre-k.

Would suggest just going to see pre-schools and meet with the admin and teachers. The one we decided on even had who would be our daughter's teacher meet us on two different Saturdays with our daughter to show her (and us) everything at the school.

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons is right. We do have close friends who send their son to a Montessori school and they are already planning on him "repeating" 6th grade when he goes to a school with a traditional cirriculum.

As for price, most pre-schools are reasonable. Ours is $415 a month for 5 days, but geta up to $500 every now and then if we do extra classea and a lot of lunches. Montessoris, at least the few near us are more expenssive, ~10k, but they go year around and have 5-6 hour days with options to go a 8 or 9 hours a day.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
With my first kid, my wife still worked so we did a family daycare when super young, and transitioned to a learning-focused (still family ran) daycare when she was closer to school age. This was in the bay area, California, and was $900/mo.

After the second kid my wife stopped working, and I changed to work from home full time. We worked with her until near-school-age, and she met the cutoff for Jr Kindergarten, which is provided by the school district, so we did that. That school is within walking distance and is a JrK - 8th grade. 10 years of schooling within 1/3rd of a mile. Jr K let out at 11:30, so we sent her to the school after school program until 2:30, so she got out at the same time as my oldest. That after school care was amazingly $60/mo.

My final kid, he's a handful - doesn't qualify for Jr K (due to his birthdate), so instead we're sending him to a preschool this final year before Kindergarten. He turns 5 in Feb.

For pricing, we're doing 5 days a week, 7:45am-11:45am, and it's $500/mo. There are only two children doing 5 days a week, so Friday is 1:1 time with the two teachers. The class size is 9, on the busiest days.

School is just school - you want the kids in a safe atmosphere. You have to work with them in order for them to succeed. Sending them to some school won't cut it. You don't have to do the super fancy stuff. At least that's my take on the situation.