Parent Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If schools are your thing, this is kind of interesting.
The Bishop Estate is the largest land owner in Hawaii, and the entire point of the estate is to give money to Kamehameha Schools.
This explains it: What is the Bishop Estate? Bishop Estate Trustees, Hawaii, editorial, by John Pritchett

And here's a wiki of the schools themselves.
Kamehameha Schools - Wikipedia

Anyway, my daughter went to a pre-school / daycare thing in Hawaii Kai called KCAA. It was a good school and they did plenty of activities.
The school was 5 days a week and had hours of 7am-4pm. Kids could be dropped off as late as 9am, and picked up as early as noon. It cost us $1000 per month for this school.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Little lad is just over 8 months old now, he's surfing the furniture like a boss and free standing, not long until hes walking...scary stuff. He loves banging shit on an empty cookie tin, not sure how he manages to make it so loud.

Best thing about him now though is that every night (if he isn't sleeping) he recognises the sound of me unlocking the front door when I come in from work and he comes crawling out of the sitting room at full tilt, making his excited noise all the way down the hall and wants picking up, makes you almost feel like they're worth the effort. :)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
If schools are your thing, this is kind of interesting.
The Bishop Estate is the largest land owner in Hawaii, and the entire point of the estate is to give money to Kamehameha Schools.
This explains it: What is the Bishop Estate? Bishop Estate Trustees, Hawaii, editorial, by John Pritchett

And here's a wiki of the schools themselves.
Kamehameha Schools - Wikipedia

Anyway, my daughter went to a pre-school / daycare thing in Hawaii Kai called KCAA. It was a good school and they did plenty of activities.
The school was 5 days a week and had hours of 7am-4pm. Kids could be dropped off as late as 9am, and picked up as early as noon. It cost us $1000 per month for this school.

Does this shit teach you how to be Goku?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Little lad is just over 8 months old now, he's surfing the furniture like a boss and free standing, not long until hes walking...scary stuff. He loves banging shit on an empty cookie tin, not sure how he manages to make it so loud.

Best thing about him now though is that every night (if he isn't sleeping) he recognises the sound of me unlocking the front door when I come in from work and he comes crawling out of the sitting room at full tilt, making his excited noise all the way down the hall and wants picking up, makes you almost feel like they're worth the effort. :)

There is nothing like that feeling - my girls even at 4 and 6 still b-line run at me when I pick them up from school...

...it wont last...I must enjoy it now

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure on your location/setup for education, but we've got school districts and superintendents that are in charge of all of the schools in the district. I'd write a letter or leave a voicemail with the superintendent about going to the police for assault, and make sure to state that the principal isn't doing anything when it's being brought forward. I would certainly bring it toward some local media outlet too.
lindz lindz talked to my wife about this last night, she's an assistant principal at a HS here in California. Obviously can't speak to specifics since laws are a little different between states, but she basically said the same stuff i and others have previously, but mentioned one other thing: Make sure you document everything.

What/when/where for the boy, how your daughter reacts/talks to the teacher. Your interactions/meetings with the teacher and any other school officials.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Does this shit teach you how to be Goku?
Glad I wasn't the only one. I was like OH SHIT! Gotta send the kid there to learn how to fusion charge!

Wife had more blood work yesterday and her levels are steadily falling now and she's feeling much better. Crisis officially averted! MEGAPHEW!!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lindz

#DDs
lindz lindz talked to my wife about this last night, she's an assistant principal at a HS here in California. Obviously can't speak to specifics since laws are a little different between states, but she basically said the same stuff i and others have previously, but mentioned one other thing: Make sure you document everything.

What/when/where for the boy, how your daughter reacts/talks to the teacher. Your interactions/meetings with the teacher and any other school officials.

That's what we're doing now. We got the school district and the police involved. They now have someone observing the boy - within earshot of him - all the time and he's in an anti-bullying program. Principal is giving me regular updates. My daughter has a journal at school so she can write down anything that happens as well. Hoping this will contain it if not resolve it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yes. In other news, the Estate has existed for a while. Here's a New York Times article published about them way back in '83.

HAWAII TRUST WIELDS UNUSUAL POWER

My eventual goal (when I have enough) is to purchase some unused land from them. If it's possible at all.

Hahahah. Keep Dreaming. They own the land under almost every valuable piece of real estate on Oahu and some on the outer islands. There is no 'unused' land that belongs to Bishop Estate. Best you will get from them is a fee simple 1/8 acre lot with a house on it in a shitty track home development. You have been in Hawaii 5 minutes and think you are gonna become a land baron? Hahahhaha stand in line behind Japanese, Chinese and ME billionaires.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Same here, 8.5 months. Hauls ass across my in law's living room and entry when I walk in the door, babbling the whole way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Hahahah. Keep Dreaming. They own the land under almost every valuable piece of real estate on Oahu and some on the outer islands. There is no 'unused' land that belongs to Bishop Estate. Best you will get from them is a fee simple 1/8 acre lot with a house on it in a shitty track home development. You have been in Hawaii 5 minutes and think you are gonna become a land baron? Hahahhaha stand in line behind Japanese, Chinese and ME billionaires.
I'm not talking about becoming a real estate mogul. I'm talking about purchasing a single parcel of property in which to build my own house. And I've heard that people/businesses are able to purchase unused land from them in some cases. I'm thinking a nice 1/2 acre that I'd love to get my hands on. The property in question has "private property, no trespassing" all over it. But it's pretty much an overgrown field. Nothing on it but trees and tons of weeds. And it's in a residential area.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the info

8-9 hours a day sounds fucking terrible. I want my kid to be a kid as long as he can
It only sounds fucking terrible.

Both my daughters went to daycare starting around their first birthday, and enjoyed it immensely. They play, they sing, there's a lot of toys of all kinds, they learn (really they learn things that made us go wtf where did you learn that). They get a warm meal, they get to nap afterwards, they get to socialize with other kids (yeah it's important to learn how to play well with other kids else you might end up like the boy in lindz' story eh)

Honestly it sounded awful at first, giving your kid away for so long. We started at two days from 7am to 4pm with the older one, after a year we booked a third day 7am-4pm. Used to be mon-tues daycare, wed-thur grandma, fri mum didn't have to work.
The kid got bored of the grandma thursdays and wanted to go to daycare more.
She's in her third year of kindergarten now at mon-thur 7am-4:15pm and fri 7am-1pm and loving it. She has lots of friends, can count to over a hundred (basically once you're at that point, only time is the limit in how far you can go), can count to twelve in english (remember we're german krauts here), writes and reads her name and other easy words, etc.

I'm not a teacher and neither is my wife. I really doubt we could teach our kids even remotely what they learn in daycare/kindergarten if one of us were to stay at home with them. I'm also a horrible singer and a shit guitar player so all the music stuff would be left out obviously. They also have a small gym at kindergarten where they have sports hours twice a week. They have a HUGE garden with climbing stuff and a sandbox and god knows what, they go on walks to the nearby woods or downtown to watch ducks at the creek. They take excursions to the police, firefighters, hospital, zoo, ....

Daycare at three full days + meals runs us around 250€ per month (state pays the rest).
Kindergarten at those 4.5 days used to be 125€ monthly and in the final year you get another 100€ off so it's 25€ per month + roughly 30€ for meals (of course also state subsidized). Germany fuck yeah.

That, and there's the whole house payments stuff that basically forces both of us into at least 80% of work for the next 8 years or so.

Both my kids go nuts when I go pick them up after daycare/kindergarten. They love me. My wife hates me because she thinks the kids love me more. I guess it's just a girls-dad thing. At least that's what I keep telling my wife. I also love my kids more than I love her :p

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'm not talking about becoming a real estate mogul. I'm talking about purchasing a single parcel of property in which to build my own house. And I've heard that people/businesses are able to purchase unused land from them in some cases. I'm thinking a nice 1/2 acre that I'd love to get my hands on. The property in question has "private property, no trespassing" all over it. But it's pretty much an overgrown field. Nothing on it but trees and tons of weeds. And it's in a residential area.

Housing is a massive problem on Oahu, home prices are retarded. New construction has been going on constantly for 50 yrs. If you see an empty lot in a residential area there is a reason it is empty. Almost always someone is holding out for an astronomical amount of money. Real Estate prices on Oahu have NEVER gone down and unless sea levels rise 10 feet or the dormant volcano erupts or Kim Jong gets a missle to hit it, that wont change.

My parents bought a shitbox on the windward side in 1970 for $17K, that exact same unimproved shitbox is now worth $950K. Best start farming money now and fast.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's what we're doing now. We got the school district and the police involved. They now have someone observing the boy - within earshot of him - all the time and he's in an anti-bullying program. Principal is giving me regular updates. My daughter has a journal at school so she can write down anything that happens as well. Hoping this will contain it if not resolve it.
It sucks that you had to go nuclear to get them to take it seriously but I'm glad they at least are. I worry about this so much with my daughters, especially with girls, young girls are so fucking cruel to each other.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Glad to hear you got that worthless shitstain of a principal to do their job. Sorry you had to jump through so many hoops to make it happen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still dealing with "bugs". My wife has to lay in the room until he falls asleep - at night only though. During nap time it's fine. We gave him a nightlight but it hasn't helped yet

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Still dealing with "bugs". My wife has to lay in the room until he falls asleep - at night only though. During nap time it's fine. We gave him a nightlight but it hasn't helped yet
Have you tried something like this yet? Our guy loves it. When I turn it on after the lights are out he says "wwwoooowwww". He'll lay on his back for a while looking at them then flip over when he's ready to sleep. Other than that man I don't know what I'd do. Sleep issues are especially rough on me. ugh

sheep-cuddle-buddy-night-light-d1b.jpg

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
We had a lady bug star light thing like that...its mine now...I want a "real life" star map projector now.

Your wife might object to having the J Law frosting face lit up on the ceiling all night long.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user