Parent Thread

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Still dealing with "bugs". My wife has to lay in the room until he falls asleep - at night only though. During nap time it's fine. We gave him a nightlight but it hasn't helped yet

Out of the blue a couple of years ago my son refused to go to sleep because ghosts/monsters come out at night. I started to kiss all of his furniture, window, closet, his forehead, etc and when he asked what I was doing I casually told him daddy kisses keep monsters/ghosts away. He asked me to kiss a few other things like blow a kiss to the ceiling fan but ever since he goes right to sleep. Downside is I have to kiss his room every night but I'd rather do that than go through the exercise of him being scared of going to bed.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Out of the blue a couple of years ago my son refused to go to sleep because ghosts/monsters come out at night. I started to kiss all of his furniture, window, closet, his forehead, etc and when he asked what I was doing I casually told him daddy kisses keep monsters/ghosts away. He asked me to kiss a few other things like blow a kiss to the ceiling fan but ever since he goes right to sleep. Downside is I have to kiss his room every night but I'd rather do that than go through the exercise of him being scared of going to bed.

Whereas my parents moved me into our unfinished basement where all the spiders lived. I hate spiders with a burning passion to this day.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Still dealing with "bugs". My wife has to lay in the room until he falls asleep - at night only though. During nap time it's fine. We gave him a nightlight but it hasn't helped yet

That's one of the few irrational fears I remember from childhood.

Teach him about germs, bugs will stop being a thing.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I had a large roach (around 3" long) fly directly at my chest a month or two ago. It freaked me the fuck out. I just wanted it to leave my house, but it went on the attack.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Whereas my parents moved me into our unfinished basement where all the spiders lived. I hate spiders with a burning passion to this day.
How many crawled into your mouth while you were sleeping? More than one?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The world may never know. I did however wake up to them on my face and in my hair a few times.
Now I fearhate spiders.

edit: that's like line-the bed with hedge balls. I know it doesn't work but fuck it, I'd try anything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's a giant temper tantrum every night. We do bug checks, I gave him "bug killer", I blessed the room, we've left the light on all night (which helped a little). Still my wife has to lay next to his bed until he falls asleep. Last night he was still awake and she said she had to go to the bathroom and he said "ok". So she did actually go, then she just waited outside his door until he fell asleep. She felt really awful about lying to a 2 year old but we're in a rough spot right now.

We were about ready to move the baby into his room but we can't with this going on. Baby of course would sleep through the apocalypse.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
For the past several months, I've had to sit in my son's room until he falls asleep, since we transitioned from a crib to toddler bed. He usually wakes up several times a night and calls for me, saying he wants to me sleep in there with him. Last night after we did the bed time routine, I told him I had to go do work and I'd check on him in 5 minutes. He had a big tantrum and was walking up and down the hallway looking for me. Wife got him calmed back down and back into bed and a few minutes later, I went to check on him, said he was doing good and I had to go to the bathroom. He stayed in bed, went back after 10 minutes, said he was doing good, said I had to go do laundry, waited 15 minutes, came back said I had to go feed the cat, said he was doing really good staying in bed. After that he fell asleep. He still woke up a few times in the middle of the night but it's a start to get him to start self soothing and putting himself back to sleep again.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a giant temper tantrum every night. We do bug checks, I gave him "bug killer", I blessed the room, we've left the light on all night (which helped a little). Still my wife has to lay next to his bed until he falls asleep. Last night he was still awake and she said she had to go to the bathroom and he said "ok". So she did actually go, then she just waited outside his door until he fell asleep. She felt really awful about lying to a 2 year old but we're in a rough spot right now.

We were about ready to move the baby into his room but we can't with this going on. Baby of course would sleep through the apocalypse.

You might have just homed in on what's going on here. Jealousy and an appeal for attention.

It's not like he's being a little bastard on purpose. The fear is no doubt genuine. But his monkey brain is at work.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My daughter never really transitioned from crib to toddler bed. She had a 4-way crib that had various heights. So at first, it was the highest. Then lower. Then lowest. Then I stopped using the hanger at all and kept the mattress on the floor while still "in" the crib. Then I replaced the one tall side of the crib with a walk-in side. High on one side, and a single bar across the bottom of the other. This lasted until we moved to Hawaii. Then she had a normal twin sized bed, and she was ready for it, after using a hotel for 3 weeks while we moved & found our new house. It worked out pretty nice. My daughter was 4 when we moved, though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We gave him a bottle of "bug killer" and he's been protecting the house all day. Multiple times. No idea if it'll help (again)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Still my wife has to lay next to his bed until he falls asleep.
We absolutely refused to give into any of this behavior the very first time and it never had a chance to take root. That doesn't mean we did the right thing and I don't know how to solve it now that it's a habit of his.

Personally no matter how much suffering it would cause me I would refuse to give in to the demands and crying. The light goes off, you guys leave, and he stays there until morning.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That was my approach. My wife was weak
They often are, luckily mine is strong. She went in once and took away a night light when they didn't get it right away. They kept crying, she went and said "I will take away your bear, your blanket, and everything you love GO TO SLEEP" and they instantly quieted down and went to sleep.

• 1Worf

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
That was my approach. My wife was weak
Had a similar problem where when we transitioned to a bed from crib (we also moved into a new house too when we switched). Convinced my wife's friend to get drinks with her on a Friday and Saturday. Fixed the not going to bed without sitting or lying in the room quick.

• 1Like