Parent Thread

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I have 2 kids now, and the first 3 months of a kids life really suck. Maybe not 3, but at least 2. All they do is eat, sleep, piss, shit & cry. Your entire job as a parent is just to keep them alive, and that's it. It wouldn't bother me at all if I missed 100% of those first 2 months. Kids start to develop a personality around 3 months, though. The switch in their head turns on. Suddenly they go from slabs of meat that complain all the time into real people with personalities. That's when the fun begins.
I may sound like a woman now but I loved those first months. Kid just lying there sleeping, ideally on my chest or somewhere else where I can keep body contact. Oh boy I love cuddling.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
My son puked on a whim. If he got too worked up or was crying he’d hoark. Hell he’d even puke when swimming. Finally, a year ago when he was 10, he was in the doctor while being sick, and the doctor checked his throat and flipped out. It was do not pass go or collect my copay. It was go straight to the ENT where we learned his tonsils were the size of elephant balls. Once they were removed, the puking all but stopped. Outside of the stomach bug he got last week and decided to empty the entire contents of his stomach in our hallway...

On sleeping during infancy, same child with the puking was hell. It was 9 months before he actually started to sleep through the night. Nick at Nite became my go to and I have almost the entirety of Roseanne and Fresh Prince of Bel Aire committed to memory. Because he’d wake up about midnight and be up until 4 or 5. Thankfully the second child was a 180 from that. Only real issue we had with her was her pooper sucked and hated normal formula.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I may sound like a woman now but I loved those first months. Kid just lying there sleeping, ideally on my chest or somewhere else where I can keep body contact. Oh boy I love cuddling.

You're not the only one, I look back on those times with fondness. My little lad only wants to furniture surf and be carried to the next item he wants to climb or eat, can't wait until he gets back into cuddling, or at least sits still long enough that I can steal one.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Guess I'm really lucky, both of my kids slept/sleep pretty well from about 6months on. My oldest did try and pull some middle of the night shit once he got out of the crib into a bed. My wife would usually handle it before I had a chance to fully wake up but one night when we were going on the 4th or 5th time of him coming into our room I intercepted him and told him that a tired dad is way more scary than anything in his room. It pretty much dropped to a manageable 1-2 times a week instead of 3+ times a night after that. My youngest is approaching bed age so hopefully he continues to just sleep all night like he does now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well it's weird for us because he's basically slept through the night since about 6 months on. He's 2.5 now and this is randomly happening. He's bed in a bed for 6+ months too, so it's not a new experience for him.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like all you guys are in the golden years of parenthood, savor this time! I have 3 teenagers and makes long for those days, and also question why I started in the first place. :)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Sounds like all you guys are in the golden years of parenthood, savor this time! I have 3 teenagers and makes long for those days, and also question why I started in the first place. :)
I plan on working 12 - 14 hour days when my daughter is a teenager

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I need feminism because I'm not paying for 3 weddings.

I am paying for 0 weddings. If and when they get married they can pay for it themselves just like I did.

I'll pay for their undergrad at a state school in an approved major and buy them their first car. After that they are on their own.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm with Cad. I'll pay for them to go to a reasonable school or vocational training or something, but fuck paying for a wedding. I can't even relate to people dropping tens of thousands on a wedding.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My eldest is angling towards med school, that can get pretty pricey. I see it more as an investment the more we can get them on track early on, the less (hopefully) they will be a burden later. Scholarships help with this too.

Also in Canada we have something called RESP's, so the GOV will give you grants towards education and and be shared between family members.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well you can't relate to the American higher education experience then. Some.private schools are $50k+ a semester

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My daughter (19, sophomore in college) recently said something about getting another tattoo - I said we’d talk about it. She mentions the fact that she doesn’t technically have to ask my permission, and I remind her I don’t technically have to pay for her college education.

Sometimes I miss losing sleep to crying little poop factories. Now I just hand out money and remind the offspring just how bad life will be if they get impregnated/impregnate someone.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users