Parent Thread

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this is one of many things about parenting that is both awesome and crappy. You want your kids to learn and advance, but it's bitter sweet when they do because they start to rely less and less on you. One big one I remember each time was "Hooray, my kid can walk!" while simultaneously thinking "Oh, Shit, my kid can walk!"
The big downside to having a toddler learning to walk is now I cringe everytime I hear something hit the ground because I instantly think my kid just got a little dumber from smashing his skull into the dirt again.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wife is pregnant with #2 we found out this weekend. Hoping for a boy this go around!

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The big downside to having a toddler learning to walk is now I cringe everytime I hear something hit the ground because I instantly think my kid just got a little dumber from smashing his skull into the dirt again.
We have wood floors so whenever I hear the noise of a bag of meat slapping the floor I wonder if it was his hands or his face.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just choose to believe the doctors that for toddlers even tiny amounts of alcohol can have serious consequences and don't go out of my way to be that super great parent that knows everything better, which is exactly like the attitude of anti-vaxxers you guys are reflecting right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

I just choose to believe the doctors that for toddlers even tiny amounts of alcohol can have serious consequences and don't go out of my way to be that super great parent that knows everything better, which is exactly like the attitude of anti-vaxxers you guys are reflecting right now.
So, you chose to not give your toddlers fruits ? I tried to look up for something, do small quantities of alcohol have any effect whatsoever on a kid, and came up empty. Only some completely stupid data that said that kids that were allowed to drink were more likely to become alcoholic. Next topic : Blond parents are more likely to have blond kids.

The only relevant stuff I can find, is this kind of studies :
Evidence of the effects of drinking ≤32 g/week in pregnancy is sparse. As there was some evidence that even light prenatal alcohol consumption is associated with being SGA and preterm delivery, guidance could advise abstention as a precautionary principle but should explain the paucity of evidence.

Which imo is reasonable, because as previously stated, evolution should have eliminated them, at least in Europe.

I'm not saying you should regularly give alcohol to a small kid, that's definitely a bad idea, but also, you shouldn't feel bad about giving once half a coffee spoon of cider or beer either.

Last edited:

Gurgeh

I'm looking at a study that concluded that there is a risk involved with light drinking, at random (https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh341/86-91.pdf), and as expected, it's not serious, and they aknowledge it :
. First, alcohol consumption data typically are collected via selfreport

"I'm only drinking a glass of wine every week, I swear" say alcoholic mother #234

Now I'm looking at the data
Fetal demise occurring after 20 weeks gestation, or stillbirth, affects 6.22 of every 1,000 pregnancies in the United States each year
(...)
A study (Aliyu et al. 2008) of more than 600,000 human births found a statistically significant 40 percent increase in likelihood of stillbirth for women who consumed any amount of alcohol compared with those who did not consume alcohol at all.Data were further analyzed to examine the amount of alcohol consumption, and the increased risk was almost completely attributed to those who consumed five or more drinks per week.

I can't find the raw data, but I'm pretty sure that we'd notice that the drinking self-report from pregnant women isn't coherent at all with :

One in eight American adults, or 12.7 percent of the U.S. population, now meets diagnostic criteria for alcohol use disorder, according to the study.

I think the reason we don't say "it's okay to have a cup of Champagne at a birthday party, or at New Year's Eve Party or a glass of wine once a week at the sunday family reunion" to pregnant women is not because there is any risk of doing it, but because a significant part of the population are alcoholic, and those people will understand that message as "business as usual, girl!"

I know the discussion was about small kids and not pregnancies, but in the absence of any research, it's probably the best thing we have.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I wouldn't give my kids a cup of beer, but I have no problem with a sip if they ask. I make sure it's an IPA so they're guaranteed to think it's vile and never ask again for a year or two. I consider it an investment in reducing the taboo factor that leads to binge drinking when they're older.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester

Honestly? All I really know is that I got beer as a kid when I asked for it (which wasn't very often, mostly at hoildays) and as an adult I don't much care for the stuff.

It can go the other way as well, obviously. For me it worked. Some kids it would turn them into alcoholics. I'm just surprised that its become stigmatized that quickly. Within a generation it flipped completely.

I have a picture of my seven year old ass dressed up in lederhosen and drunk. As an adult I look at that and realize that I was their entertainment that christmas. lol.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a picture of my seven year old ass dressed up in lederhosen and drunk. As an adult I look at that and realize that I was their entertainment that christmas. lol.

My parents used to allow me to have a small glass of wine at family parties during the holidays. That ended after Cristmas Eve when I was six. One of my uncles kept refilling my glass, not realizing it was mine. Christmas morning hung over was so much fun. It was probably made worse as I had been roughhousing with a cousin during the party and he bounced my head off a wall a few times.

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You have to be brain damaged to want to be amod.

giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Something I've sort of been thinking awhile, but confirmed today. The 2 year old was diagnosed with mild autism. He went to a few screenings and met a few psychologists/doctors and they came to this determination. Some of the stuff he demonstrated I guess stuck out for them.

My wife is freaking the fuck out. I already decided he was probably already on the spectrum (and I believe I am), so it wasn't a shock.

Life goes on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My youngest was diagnosed with mild autism way back in the day, and honestly at least where we live it was very fortunate that she was. There's so much early intervention stuff that she's now 7 and on par academically and socially with all the other kids her age, it hasn't held her back at all, and we're still able to get her services to help her with speech and attention issues etc. If we hadn't gotten that diagnosis, or if this had been the 80s or something, they probably would have just called her slow and put her in a special ed class or something.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Wife came up to the office last night and gave me a glass of scotch, said "there's been a massive disaster" and gave me a pee stick. Guess that's #2 on the way then, I'm 45 this month heh. She thought I'd be upset, as we'd decided not to have more, but I'm OK with it. Massive shame (to say the least) my dad died earlier this year, he'd have been stoked to have another grand kid.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users