Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My youngest was diagnosed with mild autism way back in the day, and honestly at least where we live it was very fortunate that she was. There's so much early intervention stuff that she's now 7 and on par academically and socially with all the other kids her age, it hasn't held her back at all, and we're still able to get her services to help her with speech and attention issues etc. If we hadn't gotten that diagnosis, or if this had been the 80s or something, they probably would have just called her slow and put her in a special ed class or something.
Yeah he's been in Early Intervention for awhile now and they're the ones that pushed him to get assessed. My thoughts are, the earlier it is detected the more help he'll receive.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah he's been in Early Intervention for awhile now and they're the ones that pushed him to get assessed. My thoughts are, the earlier it is detected the more help he'll receive.
For sure. The word "autism" is scary, at least for me it would bring up images of totally emotionally shut down kids, kids unable to speak or function in society, etc. But that's just the most extreme cases, almost no kids with autism are actually like that. It's to the point now where I sometimes forget that she was diagnosed, because you have to look really hard to find the signs.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's true. I bet if I went to the doctor right now and got assessed I would be on the spectrum. Not even trying to joke about it, I'm fairly certain I hit a lot of the markers.
Half of this board would also, nowadays, I bet. Fuck, it's difficult to not find a kid these days that isn't diagnosed with autism, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalulia,.... When my daughter was 3 months old some stupid ass doctor diagnosed her with sleeping disorder when I told her she was waking up a couple of times per night. Her regular pediatrician couldn't repress a chuckle when she saw that.

Some doctors are really trigger happy when diagnosing vague as shit "mental" disorders. As a lot of "low-level" austists are also smarter than the average, I would be very wary of long term consequences of a kid being told he's "not normal" when he would have been considered normal in our generation and all the ones before.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been kind of reflecting since his diagnosis a bit. Just wondering what signs we kind of pushed aside as him just being different.

One of the big ones was when he threw temper tantrums, he would start slamming his head into the floor/walls/table. Another is his appeal of certain fabrics. He has a blanket and pillow with long soft hairs/fibers and he can sit in the corner and put them up against his mouth for up to an hour if we leave him - he does the same thing with my wife's hair. He likes a lot of repettive things - spinning things, playing the same sound over and over and over for long periods of times. Sits by himself a lot and just plays with one toy for extended periods of time. Add to that his speech delay, his delay in doing certain actions like pointing. It's no surprise.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dont worry noodle, it will all work out. My oldest was diagnosed with mild autism and hes 17 now and just fine. Went into a program at school in 2nd grade, he was mainstreamed in the 6th grade. Still a bit quirky here and there, but outgrew 95% of the shit. Youre little list of things pretty much were the same for our kid when he was little.Whole bunch of sensory shit used to bother him. Except he did not really have anti-social stuff going on and no delay in development. He used to horde shit in his room. We used to find all kinds of shit there he was hording, like band aids, all the lego dudes from all the sets in the house, shit like that. Everything he liked got put into his room. He outgrew that as well. He is highly intelligent though so ill take the quirky.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is your wife chilled out about it yet?
Yeah I mean I had to have a heart to heart with her.

She was freaking out about how people were going to label him autistic and that's what he would be known for. I basically was like - listen, nobody NEEDS to know this besides his doctors and professionals working with him and maybe school staff if it's an issue. He doesn't need to tell other kids, we don't need to tell family and friends, it's just a part of who he is. That seemed to chill her out a little.

I think she's still worried it could get worse, and that's a fair concern, but I am much more go with the flow than she is about stuff. She's also highly emotional and I have the emotional range of a fish.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

She was freaking out about how people were going to label him autistic and that's what he would be known for. I basically was like - listen, nobody NEEDS to know this besides his doctors and professionals working with him and maybe school staff if it's an issue. He doesn't need to tell other kids, we don't need to tell family and friends, it's just a part of who he is. That seemed to chill her out a little.

I think she's still worried it could get worse, and that's a fair concern, but I am much more go with the flow than she is about stuff. She's also highly emotional and I have the emotional range of a fish.

You're right, no one need to know, and the biggest risk for most of the "autists" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, it's definitely a valid concern. I worry about it, so far it hasn't been an issue for my daughter at her school. She actually had to change schools, but that's because a bunch of shit happened before she was diagnosed. Her new school, it's crazy how supportive everyone is, including the other students. The students clearly know she's in a special ed class part of the day, but I don't think they know why. I still worry that as she gets older and goes to middle school and high school that will change, we'll deal with it though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I remember your stories about her in school.

I also told my wife about when one of your kids puked in your mouth as you woke up.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
nah I was awake, it was when she had hand,foot, mouth disease, it was like 3 in the morning and she had 105 degree temp, I was freaking out. We gave her some tylenol and some crackers and shit and she puked right in my face, a ton got in my mouth. But hey man, she went right to sleep after that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Jesus, 105.

I've only had a fever that had once in my life, and I was 11 I think. All I remember is sleeping for four days straight.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Worst I had was in poland with either the mumps or measles, I forget which but I was so fucked up I was seeing shit and really bad nightmares. I was only like 7-8 but I still remember that shit.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
105 degree temp, I was freaking out.

My daughter was at 104.5 a while back, AFTER administering the max dose of Tylenol. I was pretty wigged out given the popular wisdom about overheating and brain damage. I called her doctor, who said high temps like that are much more common than you'd think and the better indication of danger is whether she seemed lethargic or sluggish. Her mood was chipper and alert other than a sore throat, so we just kept her topped off on fluids and applied the occasional damp cloth and she was fine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree with that. Our kid had some outrageous temps and they told us kid temperatures run hotter than adults. My oldest got them a lot it seemed, every couple months. So for awhile we were pros at dealing with it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, when that happened we already had our shit packed and were heading to the car to go to the ER, when our pediatrician called us back and told us to sit the fuck down. It was difficult to accept in the moment but they went through hand,foot, mouth disease like 14 times at that day care and each time it was the same, 105 degree temp.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This is how you bring down fever faster than medications at 3 in the morning.

Take baby. put baby on bed
Take ice and water and out in a small bucket next to the bed. Let the water be cold by the ice.

Take small thin towels, damp it on the cold water. put the towels in the forehead, arm pits and inner leg. you will need 3 towels. one for forehead, and 1 for arm pit and one for the leg at least.

Do not put wrap the ice on the towels, that just creates a mess, the towels should be damp and cold but NOT dripping water, that just creates a mess.

the towel will get warm rather fast. so every few minutes, 5-7 dip them into the cold water, and remove excess water by twisting the towel.

The idea is to heat exchange the heat from the baby's bodies with the towel, in areas where the skin is thin. that is why you do the arm pits and the inner thing. The head one, it just feels nice for the baby, but it is not a effective way of reducing the temperature as the skin and skull are thick.

Do not put them in the babies genitals.. no one likes that, put them a tad lower.

• 1Like