Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was over the weekend and the doctor's office was closed (when it got REAL bad). We didn't think it was emergency room worthy so we just stuck it out. The worst is over now, but jesus christ it was a bad one. This also happened along with the night terrors he's been experiencing. I notice when he's sick or not feeling well the night terrors are worse.

Edit: Really bad ear infection. What worries me about this is my brother and I both had tubes put in our ears because we had non-stop ear infections. Not sure I'm mentally ready for my kid to get an operation - which is of course immediately where my mind goes

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, that sucks. I hated it so much when they were so little and uncomfortable and couldn't tell us what was up. You feel so helpless and all you want to do is make them feel better. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

My middle child, 15, has a best friend who is with her family for the semester in London. She's been somewhat depressed with her bff gone this semester, so we figured out a way for her to go visit. I put her on a plane last Friday night. That's nerve wracking. However, she arrived safely, and customs made her wait in a secure area until the approved adults came to pick her up. She was so nervous I thought she'd shit her pants, but it all worked out great and she's having fun.

My 15 year old is 4,000 miles away. I totally trust the people she's with, they're great friends of mine, too, but this is a big trip for a 15 year old. I'm pretty sure her mother and I are more nervous than she is, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah man, I'm a pretty stoic and most unemotional person but with my kids I can't help it.

The last few days (we should've picked up on this, but hindsight..) when giving my son a bath if we went to rinse his hair he would FLIP OUT screaming and crying. We figured he was just being a scared kid, and he really wasn't telling us why he was upset, so we sort of just rinsed his hair while he was screaming. It sucks, but I mean.. we had to rinse his hair. Poor guy probably had an ear ache and couldn't verbalize what hurt to him (he kept saying the water gives him eye boogies..). But when we did it he would scream "DADDY STOP HURTING ME!!! OWWWWW!!!"

Shit pulled at my heart strings. Same thing happens when taking his temp - anally by the way, because he won't do orally correctly. Just screaming "DADDY DONT HURT ME AGAIN"

Fuck man

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My daughter doesn't know the word daughter yet, so when we call her "our daughter" she flips the fuck out and demands us to call her by her name, bordering on tears.

So I decided to mix it up and went "You're..... three!" and she looks and me and says "No, I am three years old!"

Shitty vocabulary, but already better at making full sentences than I am...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Shit pulled at my heart strings. Same thing happens when taking his temp - anally by the way, because he won't do orally correctly. Just screaming "DADDY DONT HURT ME AGAIN"

Fuck man

bruh... spend the 20 bucks and get the forehead temporal artery thermometer or ear thermometer...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Our kids daycare had a child escape today, wandering around the parking lot, next to a 40mph road, which is a couple blocks away from a new home community which is actively being built, with dump trucks and such running up and down that road all day long.

This is the same daycare where when the all female staff filled out “About Me” sheets, which were plastered at the entrance for months, nearly everyone wrote 50 Shades of Gray as their favorite book. That’s cool if it is, but wtf. That’s like a Priest saying his favorite tv show is To Catch A Predator. (The outliers were The Bible and Dr Seuss. Yes, their favorite book is an author.)

I’m grateful our baby is being taken care of by The Bible one. But seriously, we need a new daycare. Last thing that pissed me off was when our twins told us about how one of the teachers own son threw a chair at their heads. No one from the daycare said anything.

Another time a kid got lice and they refused to tell anyone, citing HIPPA violation. It’s in their own damn policy book they link to with every email, that they notify the parents. Oh, that policy book? The last half of it is missing half the friggin pages. Maybe that’s the problem!

And according to my sister in-law who was an excellent assistant director at a different daycare, ours is violating state licensing by exceeding ratios of children to teachers, shuffling our girls around from class to class all day...I had to hunt to find them most times when I’d come pick them up. Often no one is at the front desk or the directors office in the morning or evening, or when a kid escapes.

And my wife told me about this one. The director “tutors” “a student,” who doesn’t go to the daycare, for several hours a day in her office. When questioned about this, my wife was told it’s none of her business what the director does with her free time.

Despite all that our twins did well there. They are in kindergarten now, so it’s just the baby. She’s just beginning to cruise so she’s not breaking out anytime soon. She’ll be moving on from being under The Bible’s care soon because of the cruising, but the ladies on the other side of the baby room seem competent enough.

If things don’t change after this escapee incident, we probably won’t keep her there when she’s ready to move out of the baby room. I am tempted to just jump ship right now, but our baby does really well there too. And shit, what if it’s worse at other daycares.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sure, shit happens - but that's a lot of shit. I wouldn't keep my kid there with less than half of that stuff, start looking IMO.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Animale

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, look for a new place - can take a while on a list to get into good spots so don't want to wait until "time to go now!"
Just went through similar with my kiddos - changed jobs so wasn't able to keep them in the daycare that they loved. The first one we switched to didn't give them enough water since it was "too inconvenient to bring it all the way down the hallway." That was indicative of other problems of course. Found a place nearby but took a couple months to get them into it, but they are both super happy now which is nice.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My sons preschool is awesome I guess. Also his teacher I'd love to toss a few ropes on her titties so I got that going

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don’t sweat the possibility of ear tubes too much. A good ENT can pop them in in about five minutes or less. We do a good amount of them and it’s always WAY harder on the parents than it is for the kiddos.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don’t sweat the possibility of ear tubes too much. A good ENT can pop them in in about five minutes or less. We do a good amount of them and it’s always WAY harder on the parents than it is for the kiddos.
When I was a kid it required surgery and they fucked up my hearing when they "fixed " my ear drum hole by grafting skin over it. So my concerns are always from the 80s

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
When I was a kid it required surgery and they fucked up my hearing when they "fixed " my ear drum hole by grafting skin over it. So my concerns are always from the 80s
I've got 3 kids under 8, and had 5 sets of tubes so far. It's hard as shit on Mom, because on most of them the kid passes out in your arms when they guy put under. Worst part for me is when they wake up, because they're basically coming down from a nice high and get grumpy. Super quick procedure, longest part is waiting for the "OK" to leave.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are musings on how we're potentially scaring our children for life due to divorce best suited for this thread or Marriage and the Power of Divorce?

My child was strong at the beginning of the separation, even in support of it. But now that we're a few months in it's wearing on him.

He's needy and whiney and throws versions of tantrums, now.

He has always tried new words in inventive ways. Obviously at his age he can only be but so intentional, but he tests the boundaries of words as if finding their parameters. Well...a word he's been using lately is handsome.
He'll excitedly identify a dude (on tv in game or rl) as handsome as if checking how everybody else in the room responds. Nobody, me included, wants to give the homo talk. And people usually squirm. I think he picks up on that. He'll then put the dude's aspects of handsomeness in terms of my qualities.
He'll then flatter me in some way.

When the ex has him, she showers him in gifts and affection.

When we were together, she was a paranoid schizophrenic and thought everybody, me included, were rapists molesters and deviants. She would tell him things at a very young age that would leave him quiet and unresponsive.

I'm watching Mindhunter on Netflix and I wonder if we're creating a reverse Oedipus situation, but instead of mother, it's father..
I wonder if his incessant wanting isn't for the frivolousness, but a search for evidence that I would provide for him~

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Are musings on how we're potentially scaring our children for life due to divorce best suited for this thread or Marriage and the Power of Divorce?

My child was strong at the beginning of the separation, even in support of it. But now that we're a few months in it's wearing on him.

He's needy and whiney and throws versions of tantrums, now.

He has always tried new words in inventive ways. Obviously at his age he can only be but so intentional, but he tests the boundaries of words as if finding their parameters. Well...a word he's been using lately is handsome.
He'll excitedly identify a dude (on tv in game or rl) as handsome as if checking how everybody else in the room responds. Nobody, me included, wants to give the homo talk. And people usually squirm. I think he picks up on that. He'll then put the dude's aspects of handsomeness in terms of my qualities.
He'll then flatter me in some way.

When the ex has him, she showers him in gifts and affection.

When we were together, she was a paranoid schizophrenic and thought everybody, me included, were rapists molesters and deviants. She would tell him things at a very young age that would leave him quiet and unresponsive.

I'm watching Mindhunter on Netflix and I wonder if we're creating a reverse Oedipus situation, but instead of mother, it's father..
I wonder if his incessant wanting isn't for the frivolousness, but a search for evidence that I would provide for him~

Electra complex is the female version, if that's what you were looking for. And just talk to him about it next time he calls a guy handsome. Ask him what he means by it, and just go from there. Maybe he is gay. Maybe he's not. It won't change the fact that you love him, right? If it's not that, and maybe even if it is, your family is in a period of serious transition, so of course he's going to want to be reassured that you'll be there for him and love him no matter what. I don't think any of us ever really grow out of that. Those conversations are key to understanding each other, and reaffirming that bond. Don't fear them, cherish them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Divorce is a real thing. Talking about how it relates to your kid is a perfect thing to discuss here - especially since many of us grew up through a divorce.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Gave my 10 year old nephew a good slap across his face.

This boy don’t listen, openly curses and fights with his older sister and inserts himself into every conversation about her or anyone really, plenty of times has hurt our girls by being too rough, talks back to everyone, disrespects his mom and never listens to her, on and on. His mom don’t do shit about it and openly defends him like he’s not at fault.

A couple years ago he got a letter sent home from school with the teacher listing specific examples of his inappropriate behavior. My wife reads it and doesn’t say much, sister in-law starts going on about how the teacher just doesn’t like him. I read the letter and tell her it looks like she has a bad kid. The teacher isn’t going to take the time out of her day to write you a letter with his specific malbehaviors just because she wants to fuck with him (this was second grade iirc). The kid is in the wrong and you aren’t even punishing him for it.

Yesterday we had our twin girls birthday party at home. Nephew and them show up later, but still that didn’t stop him from immediately start causing trouble. He’s 10 now. He kicked a ball at a 6 year old so hard on purpose that the kid had a welt across his face for two hours. Then he goes down the moon bounce slide while there’s a bunch of kids at the bottom. They ran off crying because it don’t felt good getting slammed in the ribs by a 100 pound asshole.

Then he ends up hurting some other girl, all the while just being a bully and trying to control everyone.

Now the slap. I’m sitting with my niece in the living room trying to help her figure out why her iphone doesn’t pick up WiFi. Then I hear one of my girls scream the kind of scream when she’s in real pain. He pushed her off a barstool chair in the kitchen into the corner of the kitchen island.

And his mother is doing nothing. So I get up and walk over to him and give him a good slap. The kind of slap that sends a message, but not enough that it’d hurt him. My girl has a good bruise on her leg, so fuck him either way.

Then his mom gets up in my face telling me not to touch him. At this point I’m over this bullshit, tell her to get him out of my house. She storms off mad at me, idgaf.

We had a good family of friends over too that this happened in front of. The mom thought it was excessive. The dad was like yeah I was pressure holding him earlier for being too rough, but maybe that slap was too much, but he did deserve it.

My wife is kind of indifferent. She struggles with him more than I do. If she slapped him no one would have blinked an eye.

And the kind of stuff that happened yesterday with his behavior, is every day. He hasn’t been over to our house one time and not gotten into trouble. Shit I remember making him and his older brother stand outside and wait to leave because they were so bad when he was 5.

It all has to do with his mother. His dad is around but just doesn’t care, works and cheats...not sure why he’s even married. But his mom was the daycare assistant director mentioned in an earlier post. When it was circle time for stories, he didn’t have to sit in the circle, but could wander around and do what he wanted. He was the only one allowed to do that of course.

She parents him like he’s a child at the daycare. Half ignores him completely, and basically disciplines him like they would at daycare. Except, the daycare teachers, like any adult in charge of kids, expect the parents to deal with their child’s behavior so that it doesn’t continue. That doesn’t happen. Daycare mom never becomes just mom and keeps her kids in line.

So what do you guys think? The womens are saying I was wrong. I’m saying play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I’d do it again to be honest.

• 1Like