Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
The sulphite cap isn't scaled very well. It goes like + 100/120/140/150/300/600/1200/3000/5000/1000. Go sideways until you can get your sulph cap up, then it's really not bad. They just goofd the initial azurite costs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm sad that I missed out on the original form of Delve. It sounds like it was pretty fun.

So I asked about crafting before, and as expected I'm too low level to worry about it much yet, but what things do people normally keep an eye out for to save for crafting? I've got loot filters on, set to strict, and I still get all kinds of stuff highlighted that seems worthless to me. Do I just look at the base item itself in terms of quality, and the number of sockets, and not worry about colors or links? I thought I read that one of the steps is rerolling the colors and another is links, so unless I find one already perfectly colored and linked, I just need one with X sockets, right? Or do you also reroll sockets?

I'm just not clear on this shit at all. I've read multiple guides but a lot sort of assume I have more knowledge than I do. Once you have the item you want (which I'm obviously not clear on yet), I think you start by raising the quality, so that it has a tendency to get better rolls from the later crafts, right? So that quality will always remain even if I use other crafting items on it over and over, correct? Then you work on the sockets and links, but do you do that together or one at a time? Find the right colors then try for the links? Or am I totally off here? I already wasted one Syndicate crafting bench that raised quality of an item by 24%, because I have nothing but rares in my stash, and it wouldn't accept them. Which, again, I don't understand why you can't raise quality on those, when some of them actually come with a quality boost.

Like I said, too early to be actually spending orbs on it, but I occasionally see some stuff that I think has potential, like a 5 socket chestpiece (not necessarily 5L, just 5 sockets), but I don't know if I should be keeping it, or if I only want to keep a 5L. And along those lines, is there somewhere that tells me the max number of sockets per slot? It looks like just from the size of the item/sockets it is 4 for helm and hands, and obviously 6 for chest, but shields don't seem to get as many (3 maybe?) even if they are giant fucking shields. And I don't remember seeing 4 slot boots, but maybe I'm just not high enough yet. And a 1h weapon seems to only get 3 as well, is that so that there is an equal number of sockets as a 6-socket 2hander?

Yeah, I'm a n00b still. There are videos but I can't watch them at work, and I haven't found a great written guide yet, so if anyone knows of one, that would be awesome. Particularly one detailing what to look out for in terms of drops.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I asked about crafting before, and as expected I'm too low level to worry about it much yet, but what things do people normally keep an eye out for to save for crafting?

Where you'll make the most money is selling high ilvl base items to craft with, so the quality/rarity/sockets/affixes of any given dropped item is irrelevant compared to its base and ilvl. There are various ways to craft any given item, but unless you have a boatload of the specific currency you need, chances are you will not be able to craft what you're looking for. The most popular way to craft items is to simply chaos roll one until it hits some usable stats.

If you aren't experienced with PoE enough to recognize rare/powerful item affix combos for any given build, I'd stick with buying things off of poe.trade.

And a 1h weapon seems to only get 3 as well, is that so that there is an equal number of sockets as a 6-socket 2hander?

Mostly. Dual wield also gets inherent bonuses, so being able to have two six-links in a dual wield build should be much harder to achieve. Boots/helms/gloves give four sockets, 1h weapons/shields/single-wide staves get 3 sockets, chests/two-handers/double-wide staves get 6 sockets, and quivers get 0 sockets. Maximum number of sockets on an item is locked by ilvl: 3 sockets at <ilvl 25, 4 sockets at ilvl <35, 5 sockets at ilvl <50, and 6 sockets on ilvl 50+.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
re: crafting I'd like to put a mention in to coloring of item sockets - always check with the chromatic calculator if you are unsure of something. That can eat thousands of chromes if you are trying to off colour something with high stats.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sad that I missed out on the original form of Delve. It sounds like it was pretty fun.

So I asked about crafting before, and as expected I'm too low level to worry about it much yet, but what things do people normally keep an eye out for to save for crafting? I've got loot filters on, set to strict, and I still get all kinds of stuff highlighted that seems worthless to me. Do I just look at the base item itself in terms of quality, and the number of sockets, and not worry about colors or links? I thought I read that one of the steps is rerolling the colors and another is links, so unless I find one already perfectly colored and linked, I just need one with X sockets, right? Or do you also reroll sockets?

I'm just not clear on this shit at all. I've read multiple guides but a lot sort of assume I have more knowledge than I do. Once you have the item you want (which I'm obviously not clear on yet), I think you start by raising the quality, so that it has a tendency to get better rolls from the later crafts, right? So that quality will always remain even if I use other crafting items on it over and over, correct? Then you work on the sockets and links, but do you do that together or one at a time? Find the right colors then try for the links? Or am I totally off here? I already wasted one Syndicate crafting bench that raised quality of an item by 24%, because I have nothing but rares in my stash, and it wouldn't accept them. Which, again, I don't understand why you can't raise quality on those, when some of them actually come with a quality boost.

Like I said, too early to be actually spending orbs on it, but I occasionally see some stuff that I think has potential, like a 5 socket chestpiece (not necessarily 5L, just 5 sockets), but I don't know if I should be keeping it, or if I only want to keep a 5L. And along those lines, is there somewhere that tells me the max number of sockets per slot? It looks like just from the size of the item/sockets it is 4 for helm and hands, and obviously 6 for chest, but shields don't seem to get as many (3 maybe?) even if they are giant fucking shields. And I don't remember seeing 4 slot boots, but maybe I'm just not high enough yet. And a 1h weapon seems to only get 3 as well, is that so that there is an equal number of sockets as a 6-socket 2hander?

Yeah, I'm a n00b still. There are videos but I can't watch them at work, and I haven't found a great written guide yet, so if anyone knows of one, that would be awesome. Particularly one detailing what to look out for in terms of drops.

You want to find an item that has the right stats that you want be it Life, ES, resists, or whatever unique you want. Then you use jewelers on it till it has max sockets, then you use fusings on it till you have your 4/5/6 link. 5 link takes about 150 fusings and 6 link takes about 1200 fusings just to give you some ideas on costs. 6 socketing with jewelers is about 200ish

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Awesome, those were all things I wanted to know. Thank you!

Where you'll make the most money is selling high ilvl base items to craft with, so the quality/rarity/sockets/affixes of any given dropped item is irrelevant compared to its base and ilvl. There are various ways to craft any given item, but unless you have a boatload of the specific currency you need, chances are you will not be able to craft what you're looking for. The most popular way to craft items is to simply chaos roll one until it hits some usable stats.

If you aren't experienced with PoE enough to recognize rare/powerful item affix combos for any given build, I'd stick with buying things off of poe.trade.

Mostly. Dual wield also gets inherent bonuses, so being able to have two six-links in a dual wield build should be much harder to achieve. Boots/helms/gloves give four sockets, 1h weapons/shields/single-wide staves get 3 sockets, chests/two-handers/double-wide staves get 6 sockets, and quivers get 0 sockets. Maximum number of sockets on an item is locked by ilvl: 3 sockets at <ilvl 25, 4 sockets at ilvl <35, 5 sockets at ilvl <50, and 6 sockets on ilvl 50+.
Had no idea about the ilevels. Just recently found out about the advanced item info option, so this helps a lot.

re: crafting I'd like to put a mention in to coloring of item sockets - always check with the chromatic calculator if you are unsure of something. That can eat thousands of chromes if you are trying to off colour something with high stats.
Had no idea there was even such a thing as a chromatic calculator. Now I know!

You want to find an item that has the right stats that you want be it Life, ES, resists, or whatever unique you want. Then you use jewelers on it till it has max sockets, then you use fusings on it till you have your 4/5/6 link. 5 link takes about 150 fusings and 6 link takes about 1200 fusings just to give you some ideas on costs. 6 socketing with jewelers is about 200ish
Does it have to be a white item? You can't start with a rare, can you? Or can you craft a rare/unique you really like to get sockets you want? And then further craft it to get the links you want?

And at what point does quality come into play? I see mention that you're supposed to do that before some other steps, but I'm not clear.

You can also scrub specific affixes you don't want off, right? And add ones if it isn't full, even on a rare? Or is that wrong?

Fuck, this is so confusing! I have nowhere near enough shit to start any of this, but I'm trying to get a handle on it before I get there and realize I've been throwing away good items.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quality affects the chance of socketing and linking, so higher quality gives you a better chance at getting 6 sockets or 6 links. You can roll new sockets with Jeweler Orbs, and roll new links with Orbs of Fusing, until you hit 6 of either and then it won't let you roll again with those currencies. If you've found a rare that you want to be a 6L, you'd quality it to 20%+, use Jeweler Orbs on it until 6 sockets, and then fusings on it until 6 links. In Prophecy league, I made about a thousand chaos selling white ilvl 83 6L Vaal Regalias for 300-350c each, and sold another 800es rare Vaal Regalia for 200c with 2 sockets and 0 links.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Quality affects the chance of socketing and linking, so higher quality gives you a better chance at getting 6 sockets or 6 links. You can roll new sockets with Jeweler Orbs, and roll new links with Orbs of Fusing, until you hit 6 of either and then it won't let you roll again with those currencies. If you've found a rare that you want to be a 6L, you'd quality it to 20%+, use Jeweler Orbs on it until 6 sockets, and then fusings on it until 6 links. In Prophecy league, I made about a thousand chaos selling white ilvl 83 6L Vaal Regalias for 300-350c each, and sold another 800es rare Vaal Regalia for 200c with 2 sockets and 0 links.
See, that's exactly what I should have been learning from the beginning. Obviously lower level stuff probably won't compete anyway, but I've sold dozens of rares with decent stats, or unidentified even, simply because they only had one socket. Once I start seeing ilevel 50+ items I'll pay more attention instead of just vendoring everything immediately.

Thanks again.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Can't imagine a perfect guide to crafting.

Takes a little of knowing how many prefixes and suffixes an item can have, probability and current value of currency etc.. then of course what to block with the master mods before slamming (using exalts on) the item

That all said, every serious guide involves annuling something off and starting over if you fail. Annuls are annoyingly rare. Maybe twisting Janus's arm will yield me at least a few on SSF.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Never thought I'd meet, outside of the game, one of those people that sells items for fusings.

• 1Worf

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Awesome, those were all things I wanted to know. Thank you!

Had no idea about the ilevels. Just recently found out about the advanced item info option, so this helps a lot.

Had no idea there was even such a thing as a chromatic calculator. Now I know!

Does it have to be a white item? You can't start with a rare, can you? Or can you craft a rare/unique you really like to get sockets you want? And then further craft it to get the links you want?

And at what point does quality come into play? I see mention that you're supposed to do that before some other steps, but I'm not clear.

You can also scrub specific affixes you don't want off, right? And add ones if it isn't full, even on a rare? Or is that wrong?

Fuck, this is so confusing! I have nowhere near enough shit to start any of this, but I'm trying to get a handle on it before I get there and realize I've been throwing away good items.

You can change sockets/links on white or rare, doesn't matter. Yes you can scrub specific affixes, but that requires having special things like the craft "prefixes can't be changed" and is a more advanced form of crafting that can be expensive because it often involves slamming exalts.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Never thought I'd meet, outside of the game, one of those people that sells items for fusings.

I can’t tell if I should laugh or cry, and that’s been my experience learning how to handle the game’s economy.

Mostly I’ve been flipping chaos for alts then back.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can’t tell if I should laugh or cry, and that’s been my experience learning how to handle the game’s economy.

Mostly I’ve been flipping chaos for alts then back.
I mean, if that's what you like, do that. But it's quite common for people to put a chaos-value threshold of items that they won't leave the map because it's generally not worth selling those items compared to the monsters you could be killing.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Does anyone know how to move your 3 star Captains into the safehouses? All my safe houses are 1 star and the guys directly below them are all 2 or 3 star. Feels bad to unlock a safehouse and kill a 1 star with mediocre rewards.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think if you imprison the 1 star, the 3 star should move into their spot

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Think if you imprison the 1 star, the 3 star should move into their spot
Ya but don't you have to beat the safehouse first to imprison him? Last time I did it some 1 star chump from halfway across the board moved into the safehouse instead of the 3 star below him. Stupid

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ya but don't you have to beat the safehouse first to imprison him? Last time I did it some 1 star chump from halfway across the board moved into the safehouse instead of the 3 star below him. Stupid
Interrogate = imprison.

So you are going to want to not open portals to the safe house until you start interrogating the one that is the leader.

The entire process needs some work and isn’t super intuitive but I am liking it.